• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

hello.

thadden

One of my coworkers showed me this site yesterday, and I've been reading through the message boards ever since. I'm a senior at Brown University in Providence, and my majors are in Urban Studies and Computational Math. Still trying to figure out how I'm going to fit those two together, hoping to go to planning grad school when I graduate...Hopefully the posts I've read about low salaries/respect for planners and the futility of grad school won't shatter my plans. :)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Hi there and welcome to cyburbia. Please don't judge us soley on the contents of the Friday Afternoon Club forum...we really are a nice bunch of people!

Thadden - well, you seem to have the number one req. for a career in planning - sense of humor - which is always welcome on these boards! Welcome!

Kelly

nerudite

Cyburbian
Welcome thadden! This is a great site... and the people on the board hold a wealth of knowledge. You'll learn a lot about planning, and in one of the forums a little bit about the latest lingerie, gun models, rednecks, and exploding kittens.

Hopefully your double major won't start a new trend in the planning field, because (unless you are into demographics or transportation planning) most planners hate math. (Most of us avoid it like the plague). But maybe you'll find a nice little niche! :)

thadden

right!

transportation and demographics are both things I would love to break into - too bad the only thing impoverished undergrads can make money doing is writing code or waiting tables.

I'm glad to find this portal, because I've had a really hard time finding any planners at all to meet, much less ones that use calculus. I don't really have any idea what I'm getting into, I just know I the two things I like best are numerical analysis and cities. Or sewers and subways.

Jeff

Cyburbian
If it is calculus you're into you may want to look into a Masters in Civil Engineering. Still very related to planning, but the salaries are much more attractive.

"too bad the only thing impoverished undergrads can make money doing is writing code or waiting tables."

You forgot digitizing sewer lines! Hours and hours and hours of playing connect the dots until your eyes start to cross and you wonder why your county couldn't have outsourced this project to the third world like all the other normal counties do. hee!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
nerudite said:
Hopefully your double major won't start a new trend in the planning field, because (unless you are into demographics or transportation planning) most planners hate math. (Most of us avoid it like the plague). But maybe you'll find a nice little niche! :)
No Kidding! Math is my nemesis! Yech!

Anyway, welcome to Cyburbia thadden, I'm sure you'll like it here even if you do follow Mike's advice and become an engineer *cringe*

thadden

engineering

I tried civil engineering as a freshman. I hated it. I like calculus, but I don't like physics. I'm hoping there's some other application of math I can find my way to.