• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

hello

bestnightmare

Cyburbian
first, i have zilch planning experience.

and i wish i had realized how much this field interests me sooner... my undergraduate years would have been much more interesting, to say the least. anyway, i graduated from michigan in '02, majored in psych, and now work as a paralegal in a large law firm. needless to say, it didn't take long to figure out that law school isn't for me...

so i'm an armchair urban planner, (read: major geek) and am especially interested in issues of mass transit, and curbing auto-dependent development. the washington, d.c. area, where i live, is a hotbead for many of these issues, including horrible traffic problems, a clogged, money-swilling metro system, rampant sprawl from the mountains to the sea (literally), and chronic NIMBYism.

i wanna go for a MUP. does anyone have anything good/bad to say about u-maryland's mup program? (i'd get in state tuition, plus i consider the d.c. area home)

nerudite

Cyburbian
Hi, and welcome. :)

I think you'll find that many of us did not know that we wanted to be planners during our undergrad days. I was a geography major, so at least it's somewhat related. But then... there are days when I'm dealing with a total wacko at the counter that I wish I had a psych major, too. ;)

p.s. I don't know a thing about east coast schools. Sorry!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
bestnightmare said:
so i'm an armchair urban planner, (read: major geek) and am especially interested in issues of mass transit, and curbing auto-dependent development. the washington, d.c. area, where i live, is a hotbead for many of these issues, including horrible traffic problems, a clogged, money-swilling metro system, rampant sprawl from the mountains to the sea (literally), and chronic NIMBYism.

i wanna go for a MUP. does anyone have anything good/bad to say about u-maryland's mup program? (i'd get in state tuition, plus i consider the d.c. area home)
Welcome to the clube!

There's a lot of school advise in the Student Forum section of the Boards. I dont recall offhand what's there about U-Maryland...

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Welcome aboard! And don't be shy because you aren't a planner, but have an interest in the area. Not everyone here is a planner (as an example, ME!) but this is still a nice comunity to talk about planning :D

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Howdy :)

I think you'll find that many of us did not know that we wanted to be planners during our undergrad days
There's a thread on here somewhere that talks about this. A lot of us have started in something different; and actually, a lot of us started in Geography, but that's neither here nor there......

There's a couple people from UM on here (I went to EMU - don't hold it against me). I did both my undergrad and grad there and was in Ypsi from 93 to Dec. 99.

Welcome aboard!

SGB

Cyburbian
Welcome to Cyburbia - or MPG (Major Planning Geeks) Anonymous as it is sometimes called!

donk

Cyburbian
welcome,

When I was considering going back to school I briefly looked at UofMD-College Park, it seemed like a good enough school (if they focus on subjects you are interested in, for me they did).

The thing that scared me away, and is not a concern of yours, was that foreign students had to pay, up front for both years and have a bond for living expenses.