• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 Hello

Rem

Cyburbian
Hi, I've been watching for a while and now decided to join in.

I'm a manager working in Local Government on the east coast of Australia. My professional background is in town planning though most of my responsibilities these days revolve around general management duties.

The 'City' I work for has a population of 180,000. It is actually a collection of towns and suburbs. We are located immediately south of Newcastle (pop. 130,000) and together we form the bulk of the largest non-capital-city urban area in Australia. You can visit us here.

It is a geographically beautiful area. A shot from one of our webcams on the above link will attest. We have a mountain range to the west, a big lake in the middle (actually a lagoon for the geographers among you) and the Pacific Ocean on the east. We are about 150 km (90+ miles) north of Sydney.

On a personal note I've recently crossed the great divide (ie. I'm over 40), I'm married, have an ancient pet cat and don't own a gun.

Due to the time difference I will probably be tucked up in bed when most of you read this, so please don't think I'm rude if you have to wait for my response to any comment, question or sledge.

green lizard

Rem said:

On a personal note I've recently crossed the great divide (ie. I'm over 40), I'm married, have an ancient pet cat and don't own a gun.

No gun? Im a little divided myself.
I checked out the site, great looking location.

Welcome from another recent addition.

SGB

Cyburbian
Welcome! Great to haven another participant from outside North America.

And no, I don't own a gun either.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Welcome. I need to add another country to the map. You are not the only one from the South Pacific region.

tsc

Cyburbian
Welcome!

I don't own a gun... but I have 3 (too many) cats.. and they aren't ancient.

In fact... I never thought of defining myself with gun ownership....

I am a New Yorker...sail and spend much of my free time catering to a very spoiled 80 pound hound dog....

Jeff

Cyburbian
Isn't Australia one of those fascist governments that rounded up all guns "Turner Diary" style and destroyed them?

biscuit

Cyburbian
Welcome to the fray. Always good to have more internationals here. Although, culturally speaking, other than that whole vegimite thing, can Australians really be considered internationals? hmmmm...

Anywho, I have a 22 rifle that was used once in back in 1987 to shot a rabbit...Or was that a cat?

Runner

Cyburbian
Rem said:

Welcome aboard, and to the happiest / most contented side of life!

Too bad about the gun thing...

Rem

Cyburbian
Thanks for the welcome

Sorry if I confused anyone with the gun reference. I found Cyburbia looking for resources on affordable housing and ended up in Dan's affordable gun thread. It was a small joke - emphasis on small.

ts corbitt is a sailor - you would love Lake Macquarie - where I am living. It is centred around a large lake about 24 km long and 3 km wide. Average water depth is 7metres, up to 11 metres. There is a big sailing scene here - everything from keel boats to skiffs. I used to sail but family committments have caught up (I just couldn't get them interested). I crewed on a Farr 40 in some offshore races (Sydney to Lord Howe and Sydney Mooloolaba) and raced a Noelex 25 with a work colleague for about 7 seasons on the lake.

Mike D. wants to know about the gun buy back (or test my politics). Not all, but a large proportion of privately owned guns were purchased (mandatorially) by the government and destroyed. Collectors could retain some banned guns if they were rendered permanently inoperable. It was a very expensive process and not universally supported. It was a response to a massacre in Tasmania (Port Arthur) where over 30 people were killed by a young man without even an insanity defence. I don't really understand the differences between guns but one of my Councillors at the time (a sporting shooter and former gun shop owner) while supporting the buy back in principle, believed that some of the guns banned were wrong. Guns were banned that shouldn't have been and others were not banned that should have been. Very recently additional guns have been added to the banned list and another round of buy-backs has occurred. We do have a facist government though - but that is more illustrated by our treatment of some illegal immigrants than the gun thing.

biscuit believes there are few cultural differences between Australia and North America - logically correct but likely to lead to heated arguments if repeated in some pubs over here.

jordanb likes TISM (full name This is Serious Mum). They are a Melbourne based band and I don't mind them but don't follow them. They are a bit deliberately quirky for my taste (concealing the member's identities, wearing the executioner hoods etc). I am very surprised they are known outside Australia given their music is so satirical and focussed only on local issues. They have a link to Lake Macquarie though. The Sophie Lee song is about a young woman who grew up, and occasionally lives, here. Sophie Lee is an attractive young woman who used to host a children's morning cartoon show. She has the appearance of a sex kitten but the on-air persona of a sweet, innocent teenagaer (which I think she probably was). The song alludes to the dads getting up early to spend time with the kids watching cartoons on a weekend so they could ogle Sophie.

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Welcome! I'm married, have an 18-year old (indoor) feline, and don't own a gun either!

Although I'm thinking of buying a water gun - so I can keep my neighbor's cats away from my bird feeders... but that's another story...

JNL

Cyburbian
Hello from across the ditch!

-notice a straight-forward welcome, no comments about Aussie/Kiwi rivalry! Yet ;)