• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! Hello

ludes98

Cyburbian
Well like so many before me....I have been a guest reader for bit before joining the group. Helps that work has been exceeeding boring lately. I have done a few posts, but wanted to say hello to all.

I interned with a city during college, but for many reasons, I have never worked in public service. So instead I have been serving the dark side for 5 years after I gave up computers (my first career.) Please don't ask about what I have helped come to fruition, it is too sad (guilt.) I live in Tempe, one of the 20 plus cities that comprise the Metro Phoenix area. My handle is a combination of my nickname in school and the year I started using it on the web. Gets me plenty of unwanted email, but I have stuck with it.

Here's to us,
And those like us.
Damn few and they're probably dead.
Cheers!

SGB

Cyburbian
Welcome.

We look forward to hearing some of your "Tales from the Dark Side."

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome, some of us are looking to go to the dark side so your thoughts are welcome!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
welcome from the Midwest.
Many of us have our share of twist and turns in our job/career journey.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Greetings. Make a wish.
We welcome the dark side because to destroy the enemy you must first know the enemy. But seriously, everybody adds something to the Cyburbian melange.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Welcome!
I once worked for the dark side but saw the light and am now serving the public good. Which sucks because being evil pays better.

ludes98

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
Welcome, some of us are looking to go to the dark side so your thoughts are welcome!
I do enjoy not worrying about supporting/defending a project to an elected official that hates it, especially with weak upper management. Seen it too many times around here.

As for serving the dark side, I have served the most nefarious of uses. Cell Towers and Big Box. Pays well, but if projects are really counter to your values/ethics/beliefs, can make it hard to sleep at night.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
ludes98 said:
I do enjoy not worrying about supporting/defending a project to an elected official that hates it, especially with weak upper management. Seen it too many times around here.

As for serving the dark side, I have served the most nefarious of uses. Cell Towers and Big Box. Pays well, but if projects are really counter to your values/ethics/beliefs, can make it hard to sleep at night.
Try some Ether, that'll set the record straight.

Rem

Cyburbian
Hello and welcome.

Some of my best friends work in private enterprise;).

Cardinal

Cyburbian
ludes98 said:
I hear you. I couldn't last a year working for a drug chain.