• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! Helloooooo

Glasshouse

Cyburbian
Just thought I'd say hi.

My names is Bob and I'm a building contractor in Vandalia IL.

once again Hellooo.

Bob

SGB

Cyburbian
Hi, Bob, from central New York.

Post early, and post often. I think we could benefit from a developer's perspective on a number of topics.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Greetings from one the quirky little places in the Hoosier State. I've always felt that planners and builders have much in common: we are both frustrated by engineers and architects 8-!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Welcome from Chicago!

Another Midwestern??????.........Very good.........We rule!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Welcome Bob. We dont have many contractors here, so your viewpoints may be fun to observe.

JNL

Cyburbian
Welcome Bob the Builder, all the way from New Zealand :)

I'm sure your perspective will be a valuable addition to discussions here.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Welcome, Glasshouse Bob, from just a few miles up the road. Hope the Governor's plan to close the Vandalia Correctional Facility goes down in flames.

Glasshouse

Cyburbian
Yea there is a lot of people here in town hoping that plan goes down also.

But we seem to think it's going to stick.

Employee's got thier notices for june 1st.

Bob

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome from the Home of Brood X (where my yard is MOVING there are so many) and the Pentagon.

Howard Roark

Cyburbian
Hello from an architect/urban designer slightly west of you in the Gateway City. We may have crossed paths depending what you bid on. Have you ever recieved a flawless set of drawings? If so, they came from me. ;-)

Gedunker said:
I've always felt that planners and builders have much in common: we are both frustrated by engineers and architects 8-!
Surely you mean just engineers, since you are a Cards fan I shall overlook this incident. ;-)

Glasshouse

Cyburbian
Howard Roark said:
Hello from an architect/urban designer slightly west of you in the Gateway City. We may have crossed paths depending what you bid on. Have you ever recieved a flawless set of drawings? If so, they came from me. ;-)

Surely you mean just engineers, since you are a Cards fan I shall overlook this incident. ;-)

Received a lot of drawings, but never a flawless set. So that just means I havn't seen your drawings, uh?

Let me ask you somthing, how often do you do your elevations 3d? Just wondering, I always do mine 3d, it seems to let the customer grasp a little more.

Bob

Howard Roark

Cyburbian
Glasshouse said:
Received a lot of drawings, but never a flawless set. So that just means I havn't seen your drawings, uh?

Let me ask you somthing, how often do you do your elevations 3d? Just wondering, I always do mine 3d, it seems to let the customer grasp a little more.

Bob
I will do 3d when I client requests it or it is a complex elevation that needs to be studied, it is pretty easy on acad 2000 w/ desktop, though I dislike computer rendering. Are you working on 2000?

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Welcome Bob "Glasshouse" from the southwest corner of the Mitten State just to your north.

Because of your screen name I have to ask. Do you live in a Glasshouse or do you build them?

biscuit

Cyburbian
PlannerByDay said:
Because of your screen name I have to ask. Do you live in a Glasshouse or do you build them?
Maybe it means he doen't throw stones.

Welcome Glasshouse, from the city at the confluence that marks the begining of the mighty Ohio River.

Glasshouse

Cyburbian
oh...I throw stones.....I throw stones like a deaf mute on the day Jesus saved the prostitute. I just lob them and put a little near miss on my aim. Wouldn't want to do any real harm.

I build glass structrures, well I build about everything, I just love to build with glass.

Thanx for the welcome everyone.

Bob

Rem

Cyburbian
Hi Bob, sorry about the late welcome - I have noticed you popping up. It is good to have a builders perspective here so stay tuned.