• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Help design the worst possible office environment

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I bought a bike from a guy who does traffic signal control programming and monitoring for his state. I met him at his office to buy the bike. This is his office:

officetrailer.JPG

AG74683

Cyburbian
Garage? Check. Portable sign? Check.

Still, cladding is brick with some vinyl siding. There's a metal standing seam roof. Parking is paved. It's an architectural masterpiece compared to this or this.
Oh yeah, those are way worse! I'll add a little context to the little town of Rhodehiss so you get an idea of life there. I did my college internship at the neighboring town, and we often helped them address code enforcement issues because they had an almost non-existent staff. We got called to look at a house right on the edge of the town limits. Apparently the top portion had caught on fire several years before. Rather than fix it or demolish the whole house, the homeowner opted to tear the top half off, board off the stairs, and just live in the bottom portion. We were not there for the house condition though. It was because he had several emu's on the property.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Here's Hope Township hall. The township hall is the building on the right and doesn't look too bad, but note there are two buildings in the picture. Guess which one used to be the hall.

Planit

Cyburbian
Here is a high school in the adjacent county. There are actually 2 high schools of this design in this county. They haven't aged well either.

I guess the architect got out his circle template but then had the square template too for the rear addition.

Coragus

Cyburbian
A local government office where you answer directly to the chief elected official who is politically opposed to you, believes in micromanagement, constantly changes her mind, and doesn't take any meds. At least, that's the worst possible office environment in my experience.

/Lookin' at you Ann

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Who decorated that room? It's totally lacking a gibbet on the east side and no floor drain for all the blood. In other words, bad dungeon feng shui.
Well, they did nicely label the storm drain and it's direction of flow.

So, Dan's got that going for him, which is nice.

1566507138866.jpeg

Last edited:

AG74683

Cyburbian
The drive-up window! I wonder if they have drive-thru subdvision approvals.
Our office had a drive thru window before we moved in. They took it out and replaced it with a large single pane of glass. I attempted to try and keep it so we could do water payments through it rather than have people have to park and come in. In the end, the office layout didn't work and we moved water downstairs, plus the drive thru lane was pretty short and we would have had people backed up in the street. The town hall here has one though, and before I could pay my water bill online, I used to pay it that way. It's actually pretty convenient and a nice thing to have in rural communities that have limited internet infrastructure and/or people who refuse to use it.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Winner winner chicken dinner!
  • Building signage by the DOT ✓
  • Gravel parking ✓
  • Continuous curb cuts on the front and corner side frontages ✓
  • Two pre-fab buildings on the site, one attached to a block gas station-like structure that contains the actual town hall ✓
  • Integral highway / public works department garages ✓
  • Shipping container as an accessory structure ✓
  • Zero landscaping ✓
  • Big piles of dirt and rock visible in the back ✓
  • Sign code violation across the street ✓ (yes, this town has zoning)
Some communities have absolutely no sense of pride. How can a citizen respect their local government if it's in a building that could double as a body shop?

A lot of American communities put an image of their seat of their city, town, or village hall in their seal. A rule of thumb - if you would be ashamed to put the building that's your seat of government in your seal or on your letterhead, it's probably an awful building.