• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Careers HELP! Masters in Real Estate or Urban Planning & Development?

cwingate

I'm struggling to understand which one would be better for me in regards to my new career change and would be greatly appreciative of any advice when it comes to picking between the two master programs. I am fascinated with affordable housing solutions as well as being the person who strategically evaluates and determines where to develop new construction as well as acquires historic commercial properties and provide a new purpose for them. I want to make sure that I make the best decision and fearful that I will make the wrong choice.

DVD

Cyburbian
It's a hard call. My urban planning degree gave me a good background of government work, but not so much on the things your talking about. My school had a degree in housing and development that would have been better suited for affordable housing policy on the government side. If you're more interested in real estate investment and developing along private sector work I would look more into the real estate program. I don't know enough about that degree, but it sounds like it would cover more of your interests. Less so on the affordable housing aspect, but more on market forces and practices.

glutton

Cyburbian
I would say an MUP with some Real Estate classes. I know some schools offer a Real Estate minor or certificate to tack on to a planning degree - both my undergrad and master's planning programs offer this. Or, some even have dual degrees if you are ok with staying an extra semester or two to complete that.

Even if your program doesn't offer any sort of official minor, you can make real estate your "concentration" and try to take classes from both programs as electives. Good luck!