• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Help me find a home!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Scruffy is an only child, and was orphaned last weekend. I have made several calls -- Touched by a Paw, Humane Society, Friends of Wildlife, and others, but nobody will take the little furball.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
What's left? The "Circle of Life?" E-Bay?

Maybe some Wisconsin-area Cyburbian would like to raise it?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Caveat

Keeping racoons in our state is illegal without a game license. A friend of mine had 3 of them on her Mayville farm, and a DNR Warden cited her for it.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: Caveat

Chet said:
Keeping racoons in our state is illegal without a game license. A friend of mine had 3 of them on her Mayville farm, and a DNR Warden cited her for it.

I won't be keeping Scruffy. Either it finds a home by tomorrow, or it becomes a glove liner.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Re: Re: Caveat

Michael Stumpf said:
I won't be keeping Scruffy. Either it finds a home by tomorrow, or it becomes a glove liner.

As if you could bring yourself to kill that little guy... Hope you find him a home where you can visit, Daddy! ;)

SGB

Cyburbian
Take him to an area nature center.

I went to day camp at one as a kid ( a looooong time ago), and loved playing with the orphaned racoon kits they had there named Benjamin & Franklin.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
A quick and painless end

Michael Stumpf said:

A little anti-freeze in his water bowl will bring a sweet, enjoyable end to the critter. ;)

donk

Cyburbian
If killing kittens is a euphemism for....

Then what will killing raccoons be a euphemism for?

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
It still amazes me how quickly threads regress to the lowest point possible.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Michael, I really hope you will contact a wildlife rehabilitator. Chet is right, in most states it's illegal to keep wild mammals without a license.

If that link I posted doesn't help you, contact your local/regional office of the state environmental conservation department for assistance.

If Scruffy is raised by an experienced rehabilitator, he will be able to live out his life as a raccoon should -- and not as an exhibit.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
The problem I have found is that none of the shelters or rehabilitators will take a raccoon. It seems that they have met their quota, if they take them at all. I've placed eight calls and run out of leads.

prudence

Cyburbian
Michael -

Have you tried any of these??

Patricia Feldman
Pewaukee, WI
262-367-1029
Baby squirrels and baby raccoons

Nancy Nass
West Bend, WI
262-644-6091
Muskrats, fawn, deer, coyote, fox & raccoons

Joyce Salzman
New Berlin, WI
262-542-7650
Squirrels, raccons & sparrows

Mary Roberts (satellite of Wildlife in Need)
Menomonee Falls, WI
262-251-0134
Infants and juveniles - raccoons, opossum, squirrels, cottontails

Heidi Radix
Sullivan, WI
920-699-8408
Raccoons

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
prudence said:
Michael -

Have you tried any of these??

A ball peen hammer to the back of scruffy's skull?

Bear trap?

A deep bucket of water with high slippery sides?

Sponges soaked in tuna oil?

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Chet said:
A ball peen hammer to the back of scruffy's skull?

Bear trap?

A deep bucket of water with high slippery sides?

Sponges soaked in tuna oil?

Hoping for some anal sex tonight, eh Chet?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
donk said:
nerudite posted

You guys kill me

So what does killing nerudite equal?

In Texas, it would get you the death penalty. In most other states, it would at least be twenty years in jail.

In Canada, it would be ten to twenty.

In France, there might be a fine.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
An update to the Scruffy situation...

At about three o'clock this afternoon, I delivered Scruffy to an animal rescue organization. Scruffy was tired and cold, but should be fine. Within a year he should be out in the wild, wandering the streets of suburban Milwaukee, and tipping over Prudence's trash cans.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Funny you should say that...

Michael Stumpf said:
Within a year he should be out in the wild, wandering the streets of suburban Milwaukee, and tipping over Prudence's trash cans.

Prudence, the Mayor, and I were having a debate over whether our community's new logo should be:

1. A racoon tipping over a garbage can, or

2. An osterich with its head in the sand

I don't think selecting a non-native species would be appropriate. ;)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Yay! I've been waiting all day for a happy outcome. (You're not just making that up to make us all feel better, are you?)

Nope, I drove 60 miles, round trip, to get Scruffy to a shelter that would accept him. He mostly slept in the car.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
donk said:
nerudite posted

So what does killing nerudite equal?

It depends... Would she be screaming, "Oh God, I'm coming!" while she was being killed? I'd say that makes all the difference.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
damn I almost fell off the chair laughing at this thread!

This thread reminded of a Calvin and Hobbes joke( the racoon situation)

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:
An update to the Scruffy situation...

At about three o'clock this afternoon, I delivered Scruffy to an animal rescue organization. Scruffy was tired and cold, but should be fine. Within a year he should be out in the wild, wandering the streets of suburban Milwaukee, and tipping over Prudence's trash cans.

I am SO glad! :)

(Sorry Prudence)