• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Help! Need 3 More Tap Beers!

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
I have 7 taps that will be running beer at my pub. the first four taps are:

Harp
Bass
Guinness
Hacker Pschorr Wiessbier

I have 3 taps left to fill. Please post suggestion on what might go over well. I will be telling the distributors what I want on Friday. I would appreciate the help, and thanks! :D :b:

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
You need a bitter or good English Ale.

EDIT: Oops, I didn't see Bass the first time. Make that a REAL ale.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Bitters:

Boddington's, Tetley (most likely to be available to you) If you can get Caledonian 80 Shilling, that's my personal fav.

REAL Ales: Theakston's, Fuller's, Marston (Old Speckled Hen). Any good cask ale...the way good english beer is meant to be enjoyed.

I have no idea what your chances are of getting Canadian Microbrews, but you might want to look into getting Creemore, or any of the Unibroue (Fin du Monde, Maudite, Trois Pistales) line.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Besides seeking out a local favorite, Abita Amber, I look for my favorite non-local brands:

- Anchor Steam
- Goose Island

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Duke Of Dystopia said:
I have 7 taps that will be running beer at my pub. the first four taps are:

Harp
Bass
Guinness
Hacker Pschorr Wiessbier

I have 3 taps left to fill. Please post suggestion on what might go over well. I will be telling the distributors what I want on Friday. I would appreciate the help, and thanks! :D :b:
How about a Texas favorite: Shiner Bock? It's brewed right here in the Lone Star State in a great little town called Shiner! It also comes in Blonde and Lager.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I second the Boddington's and will add Newcastle Brown Ale. Perhaps Carlsberg?

Budgie

Cyburbian
You need a porter and a premium brewed in the region.

Remember Cyburbianites, this is your party headquarters. Actually perhaps this thread needs a poll.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
You need a porter and a premium brewed in the region.

Remember Cyburbianites, this is your party headquarters. Actually perhaps this thread needs a poll.
I will be posting digital pics on Sonday and Monday. Hope for sunny weather so the sky lights give the best inside effects! :D

Cardinal

Cyburbian
You need a beer from the New Glarus Brewery. The Edel Pils, Spotted Cow, or Uff-da would work.

PBR!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Cardinal said:
You need a beer from the New Glarus Brewery. The Edel Pils, Spotted Cow, or Uff-da would work.

Mmmm...Spotted Cow. When are you coming back this way Cardinal?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Hoegaarden.

Shiner Bock, seconded.

Pilsner Urquell, seconded.

Eight taps? Point. :)

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
Samuel Adams
Smithwick's Irish Ale (brought to you by the fine people at Guinness)
Made by Guinness in Ireland, Smithwick's is inspired by John Smithwick's original recipe, which was first brewed at St. Francis Abbey in Kilkenny, Ireland. St. Francis Abbey has been in operation since 1710, making it one of Ireland's oldest breweries.​

chrisinmd

Cyburbian
Big Easy King said:
Besides seeking out a local favorite, Abita Amber, I look for my favorite non-local brands:

- Anchor Steam
- Goose Island

I had Abita while I was visiting New Orleans and would vote for that. I like Sam Adams also.---Abita and Sam Adams in the next two taps

SGB

Cyburbian
I second the Samual Adams. It's a good choice for those young'uns who won't recognize most of the other beers on tap.

biscuit

Cyburbian
SGB said:
I second the Samual Adams. It's a good choice for those young'uns who won't recognize most of the other beers on tap.
Good point. Some young'un, or random off the street who might usually drink Budweiser, may be a little intimidated when confronted by all of those fancy, schmansy German sounding beer names but will order a Sammy just becasue he's heard of it before.

A good beer that the unwashed masses can feel comfortable ordering. :b:

H

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
I was planning to say that, but see you beat me there, so I will second it.

If a place has PBR on draught, I need to look no more

tsc

Cyburbian
Love Boddington.... you should something local... no matter how crappy it is!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
michaelskis said:
Put a Bell's on there. Oberon for summer, winter weat for winter.
I agree in part with Michaelskis ; you should offer a Bell's but would not recommend any of the wheat beers they produce, seeing as how you are already offering one world class weiss beer. I think you should consider offering something that will fill some of the style gaps in your initial four, such as their Harvest Ale (think IPA), or Two Hearted Ale. I also give their regular Brown Ale high marks in both flavor and originality. I suspect your Green Bay distributer should have no difficulty getting Bell's either.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
THANKS FOR THE IDEAS!

Now that I think about it, I see "Spoted Cow" on tap a lot of places now and it is a WI beer. Thats at the top of my list.

I am also leaning toward the PBR is in the lead for second to last tap.

Sam Adams and Linenkugels are presently duking it out for the third, though I am not particularly fond of either.

Point Special if I can get it on tap is close up and would edge them out if I could get it in kegs. It would be a perfect american lager to use for black and tans! :-D

Keep the ideas coming! this is great! :-D

jordanb

Cyburbian
MGD :-C

But seriously, if it's a brewpub, shouldn't you have whatever you're making on tap? Beyond that, Goose Island is good. Three Brothers is another hopsy beer. As far as lagers go.. Well, Goose Island makes some good Lagers. :) I also love Anchor Porter made in San Francisco, dunno about getting that on tap though. Rolling Rock is probably a good idea too, instead of Sam Adams.

Last edited:

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Anchor Steam or Sam Adams for sale-ability and decent beers.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Goose Island is a fav dow this way - can you get it that far from Chicago?

I think the PBR should be in cans - all the coool people like it that way ;)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Being a Wisconsinite who has been in many many bars I would recommend these beers:

1. Miller Lite (or MGD)- It isn't good, but many people like to drink it. It gives the non-beer lovers someing to drink.
2. Sprecher Amber - Awesome beer, pretty well known, and easy drinking...in the same category as Sam Adams.
3. Any pale ale...something popular like Summit or Sierra Nevada or something local like New Glarus Hearty Hop, Cream City Pale Ale, or my new recent discovery Great Lakes Brewing (Cleveland Oh) Burning River Pale Ale. I will admit I am showing by bias towards Pale Ales here.

What if you kind of took the approach that others are suggesting but instead of rotating Bells or New Glarus during different seasons, how about dedicating one tap to the Microbrew of the Month and rotate regional Micros like Sprecher, Lakefront, New Glarus, Bells, Capital Brewery, Harbor City...etc.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Chet said:
Goose Island is a fav dow this way - can you get it that far from Chicago?

I think the PBR should be in cans - all the coool people like it that way ;)
They like it in bottles in GB. I asked the head bartender about changing to tap and she said better to stick with bottles.

I can live with that.

I would try huber or even Rhienlander if I can get it in kegs and its cheap.

The goose Island idea I like, but not if its going to cost everyone an arm or a leg.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
You could always go with Schaefer or Black Label - those 5 cent tapers will bring in the college crowds ;)

JNL

Cyburbian
Wicked Blonde!

Oh yeah, I think you can only get that in Wellington.

donk

Cyburbian
I'll hop on the Boddington's band wagon.

I'll also give two big thumbs up to New Glarus.

For new suggestions

For some reason Stella Artois is really popular in Toronto right now. It is a nice light drinking beer.

There is always NB's finest, Moosehead.

If it is Carling Black Label, you'd better have a waitress named Mabel on staff. ;)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Huber, Rhinelander, Pabst etc should always be in bottles and cans for one reason (ok 2 reasons if you count the coolness factor or drinking it out of a can) because when I go into a nice bar that isn't some small town watering hole or VFW post I just assume that nobody is drinking the PBR or Huber and assume that it is skunky. :)

DOD have you thought about carrying any of the Hinterland brews from right there in Green Bay? http://www.hinterlandbeer.com/brewery.shtml

All of this talk is making me thirsty for an adult beverage. :b::b::b:

Alaithea

Cyburbian
A few nobody has mentioned yet, from a beer-drinking college student. :p
  • Yuengling (for a cheap beer).
  • Magic Hat No. 9!
  • Sierra Nevada Porter (another personal favorite, tho never have seen it on tap).

plankton

Cyburbian
PBR, most definitely.

Don't know if any of the larger Oregon micro breweries service your area (Deschutes' Black Butte Porter & Mirror Pond Pale Ale are staples here in the Pac NW), but if not, I give a big second to Michealski's suggestion to serve Bells. mmmmm, Bells..... :b: cheers!

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
Alaithea said:
A few nobody has mentioned yet, from a beer-drinking college student. :p
  • Yuengling (for a cheap beer).
  • Magic Hat No. 9!
  • Sierra Nevada Porter (another personal favorite, tho never have seen it on tap).
I was going to suggest the Hat, this is its geographic extent for distribution...mmmm No. 9. Humble Patience is a nice red...

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Mmmm...Spotted Cow. When are you coming back this way Cardinal?
I will probably be back in Wisconsin Labor Day weekend or close to it, so I should be able to stock up. Sadly, I will not likely be heading east for a long time. I could be persuaded to bring a six-pack or two to the Kansas Laefest, though.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Another thought: my recently discovered local has rotating taps; every few weeks or so, the beers on draft change. Imagine coming one day to find Piraat Ale on one tap, and the next it's gone, replaced by Gumballhead. Then again, this is perhaps the most elitist of beer bars I've come across in my travels; they've got about 200 different kinds of bottled beer, half being Belgians.

Can you get New Belgium products in Wisconsin, or is that outside of thier distribution area? Fat Tire seems like a good standard beer for a decent beer bar, much like Bud serves as the generic in run-of-the-mill watering holes.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Another thought: my recently discovered local has rotating taps;......
Thanks everyone!

This is great! I like the idea of a rotating tap. It might really add a reason to drop by the place for just kicks.

I don't think I will be putting Wasteland (that would be Hinterland :) ) on tap. I have never been overly impressed by thier beer. It is the same old typical brew pub format that irks me.

Just ok beer for an expensive price that leaves me feeling cheated. And the food is more important than the beer at the place.

If I can put a pint of beer on the table for $0.37 (The other brewpub near downtown GB) then that pint should sell for about $1.50 to $2.00. That would generate a buz. Good beer for a great price, no feeling cheated. Instead its the same old thing, $4 to $5 pints.

Brewing & keging equipment are not that expensive. A nice set up for a brewpub should run less than 60 grand. Especially if you are looking at the long term. Once you have the equipment, it can last virtually hundreds of years. So why is the beer so damn expensive! :-{

OK, sorry for the rant!

Good Beer, for a great price! :-D

jordanb

Cyburbian
^-- I assumed that most of the startup cost of a bar is in all of the wheeling and dealing you have to do to get a liquor license/zoning approval/etc. But maybe that's just in Chicago. B-)

You also gotta figure that most of those places operate in the red five days a week and have to make it all back and turn a profit on Friday and Saturday nights.

I know some people who run a bar/resturant. It's been operating for like four years now and last month was its first profitable month ever. :-0

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
You need a dark beer.

If you want a craft brew
Bells Porter
Bells kalamazoo Stout

or

Sierria Nevada Porter or stout are really good

Or there is always Guiness

GO Dark

imaplanner

Cyburbian
Don't know if you can get this out there - but the greatest beer ever made is Red Tail, from the Mendocino Brewing Co. in Ukiah, CA.

Trust me - greatest beer evah!

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
imaplanner said:
Don't know if you can get this out there - but the greatest beer ever made is Red Tail, from the Mendocino Brewing Co. in Ukiah, CA.

Trust me - greatest beer evah!
I thought they were in Hopland? Did they move north? BTW, I agree, great beer.

nuovorecord

Cyburbian
plankton said:
PBR, most definitely.

Don't know if any of the larger Oregon micro breweries service your area (Deschutes' Black Butte Porter & Mirror Pond Pale Ale are staples here in the Pac NW), but if not, I give a big second to Michealski's suggestion to serve Bells. mmmmm, Bells..... :b: cheers!
Good call on the Oregon brews, Plank. Another great one is Bridgeport's IPA, rated one of the best in the country. I'd throw Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Alaskan Amber in there as well.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
DOD, When do you anticipate opening?
A few minor details to work out yet, but if all goes well, Tuesday night at 8:00 pm.

As of 5:00 pm today, I am unemployed until I close the legal paperwork on Monday afternoon. I will be VERY busy for an unemployed person over the weekend! :D

Going to the Monday night game on the 6th?

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
I'd say go local with two of those taps. But knowing a lot of people who don't like to dabble in "exotic" brews, I'd put one standard American beer on there. It could be a local, too, if you have one in your region, something like an Old Style or Grain Belt. If there is no local standard American beer, I'd go with the king. If you can't bear to do that, most standard beer drinkers will go Canadian: LaBatt's or Molson.