• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Zoning 🟧 Help understanding the YIMBY Act

agrove

YIMBY Act was introduced last year. I'm trying to understand the bill but have questions.

1. I see another YIMBY Act here: is this the same thing?
2. While the bill is focused on the need to track land use policies, is it pushing any new land use policies or are 2(a-v) all existing land use policies?
3. The land use policies seem to have a direction, instead of "multifamily development", its "allowing multifamily in retail zoning". why is that?
4. Why is it unspecific? Are early bills allowed to just say "reduce minimum lot size" or is it allowing the cities and counties to set what the minimum lot size is?

I'm new to the planning and development world. Would you suggest anything for something interested in learning more about development bills?

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
The first is a House bill, the second is a companion Senate bill (introduced by my state's senior senator, of all people).

I don't have time to get into the details of these bills, but the thrust is to ensure that CDBG recipients are not using "large lot zoning" to disguise housing discrimination. There is no Federal zoning enabling legislation, (that's all down to the states), but under the adage that "He who pays the fiddler, calls the tune", the Feds are saying, "If you get Federal money, you will play by our rules, show us that you are not discriminating against protected classes under the Federal Fair Housing Act".

agrove

Hey Gedunker, thanks for the response.

This makes sense. Last thing, the house bill has a line to encourage historical buildings while the senate bill has a line to reduce the number of buildings protected by historical preservation.

Which one wins? Does it depend on which one passes? Do they get merged?

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
If both bills were to pass, there would be a reconcialiation between the House version and the Senate version. My guess is the preservation folks would fight tooth and nail not to lose any ability to list historic buildings. The reconciled version would then go back to the House and Senate for a vote and, if passed, go to the president for signature/veto.