• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Help with education

haganinc

Is it possible to possible to put one's self through architecture undergrad? I have not been able to find one that encourages or is supporting to students who must work their way through. Also, student loans are not an option: right now I'm in the midst of settling some credit card fraud that was committed against me and thus, until it is settled, the loan companies will see me as a frightening prospect. I don't know what my next step should be regarding education and thus if you have any advice, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

el Guapo

Capitalist
Welcome to America!

I'm assuming you are not a US citizen based upon your return address.

Now, if you are not a US citizen: I suggest that you contact a school you can get admitted to, and their international student center, to find out about the legalities of working on a student visa.

Find other nationals that have done it and ask a lot of questions. My wife worked her way through several Universities as a foreign national all the way to her Ph.D. So it is possible – just hard. She helps other students from her country now. It will help if you can find a university with many of your fellow nationals and the program you are interested in taking. These folks can provide a sense of home when you are far away from home.

If you are a US citizen - heck yes its possible. Save some money, find a school and get a job. I did it. Plenty of others have done it also.

I might suggest good old Kansas State University (www.ksu.edu). They won't care if you are poor and need to work. That is the great thing about a state university. They see all kinds. And it is the Harvard of the Plains.

If you are a US citizen consider the military as a potential source of college tuition money – Of course, only if your ethics allow you to do so - mine had no problem with it. They have a wide variety of service and tuition options. Plus, you get to blow things up. Always a good skill set to have if you are an Architect (Howard Roark).

Good luck, and enjoy your education because working sucks for the most part.

Last edited: