• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

He's Alive?!? - Andy Kaufman NO Longer Dead?

el Guapo

Capitalist
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/040519/234/726q1.html

New York City, NY (PRWEB) May 19, 2004 -- Twenty years ago, on May 16, 1984, most of the world believed that we had lost a comedic legend forever. This has turned out to be what will inevitably be known as the greatest comic prank ever conceived. Andy Kaufman, by all accounts, is alive and well at age 55 and is now living in New York City on the upper west side. To his loyal supporters and fans, Andy says "sorry about faking my death," in a recent interview with ABC News at his apartment. In order to reach legendary comic status and seal his place in the history of performance art, he said it was "necessary to go away for twenty years."

Andy Kaufman's official site has been launched at:
http://andykaufmanreturns.blogspot.com/

Here is his death certificate http://andykaufman.jvlnet.com/death.htm

AubieTurtle

Cyburbian
I saw this earlier today. So far it hasn't been picked up by anyone else, which seems really strange. It has only appeared on PRWire and one other promotional type wire service. Yahoo picks these up and publishes them without looking at the content.

I'll be amazing if it is true... but for right now I'm thinking some fans are having fun with us.

Also, wouldn't faking one's death be illegal?

el Guapo

Capitalist
Its not like I believe it. I'm just tossing it out to make up for my recent rant. Maybe it will make the libs happy. Libs loved the guy.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Classic SNL

Announcer: And now, here's Andy Kaufman!

[Kaufman stands next to a record player, looking nervously at the audience for several seconds, before finally turning the record player on]

[Theme From "Mighty Mouse" cartoon begins to play]

Record: Mister Trouble never hangs around When he hears this Mighty sound:
Andy Kaufman: [raises left arm and lip-synchs:] "Here I come to save the day!"
Record:
That means that Mighty Mouse is on the way!
Yes sir, when there is a wrong to right
Mighty Mouse will join the fight.

[Kaufman starts to lip-synch his part by mistake, then stops himself]

Record:
On the sea or on the land
He gets the situation well in hand.

So though we are in danger, we never despair
'Cause we know that where there's danger, he is there!
He is there! On the land! On the sea! In the air!

We're not worryin' at all
We're just listenin' for his call:

Record: That means that Mighty Mouse is on the way!

[during instrumental break, Kaufman reaches for a glass of water to wet his lips]

Record:We're not worryin' at all We're just listenin' for his call:
Record: That means that Mighty Mouse is on the way!

[Kaufman bows to the audience]

SGB

Cyburbian
I'm not sure I'll believe it until he appears on Leno and Letterman - as himself.

B-)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
AubieTurtle said:
I'll be amazing if it is true... but for right now I'm thinking some fans are having fun with us.
No, I have personal knowlege it is absolutely true. I photographed him at the flat he has shared the last 20 years with Elvis and Jim Morrison. They're actually quite a down-to-earth bunch of guys! Very polite, too.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
Its not like I believe it. I'm just tossing it out to make up for my recent rant. Maybe it will make the libs happy. Libs loved the guy.
Sorry, EG. I never really liked or understood the guy. He always seemed more wacko than comedian to me.

BTW, just trying to stay contrarian. ;)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Maister said:
No, I have personal knowlege it is absolutely true. I photographed him at the flat he has shared the last 20 years with Elvis and Jim Morrison. They're actually quite a down-to-earth bunch of guys! Very polite, too.
Was Day-yul there? I gotta' know if Day-yul is still alive! My buddy's sister says she thought she saw Him at the Wal-Mart in Dalton, Georgia last month. Man, Day-yul ... why'd y'all hafta go like that?

/redneck

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Next time you are in Dalton, get me some carpet. They got some good deals down there.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Thought he was good in "Taxi" and his early SNL appearances. Otherwise, I did not care for his work. One of those "comedians" that other comedians call a genius or a legend, who aren't really funny, like Richard Belzer and Pat Cooper.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Dan said:
Was Day-yul there? I gotta' know if Day-yul is still alive! My buddy's sister says she thought she saw Him at the Wal-Mart in Dalton, Georgia last month. Man, Day-yul ... why'd y'all hafta go like that?

/redneck
Naturally, Day-yul is the one who always gets chosen to make all the beer and cigarette runs. He wasn't there while I was visiting, seems he was in Georgia at the time.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
This just in, Elvis is alive.
Shortly after Elvis's death, a masked singer by the name of Orion emerged on the scene. He was big like Elvis, and he sang just like Elvis. Because of the mask, no one could tell his true identity. One fan described seeing Orion from near the stage. She claims that Orion left the stage between songs, and when he appeared moments later the sweat was gone from his armpits and back and she thought that his costume looked slightly different. After the song he left the stage, and the original Orion returned.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I would love to know if it is real... I have someone in the entertainment industry looking into it.