• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 hey everybody!

Hi everybody

Just introducing myself here. My name is Doug, I've just moved from Boston to So Cal to pursue school with less expensive tuition. I got interested in city planning about a year ago when my political science teacher told me to go to a seminar about comprehensive planning. The seminar was great, I found everything really interesting and decided that it was something I could dedicate my time and a career to. So here I am a year later, waiting for residency in California trying to find out as much about urban design as I can, it wasn't too long that I found this site. The one aspect that impressed me so much about this forum is that everyone shows loyalty to their job, and it seems that you all like your profesions very much. Well, keep up the good work.

Douglas Murphy

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Welcome, DougM!!!!

As for job/career loyalty:

Some of us love it, some of us tolerate it, some of us use it to pay off debt :)

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Welcome to Cyburbia Doug! :)
Very rare to be doing the job you like. I guess I am lucky, like many others here.( I hope)
Hope you get lucky too.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Hey Doug, How's the weather down there in So. Cal. If I were a bettin man I guess it is sunny and warm.

Well, Welcome from the one and only Mitten State. You know the one with a big lake named after it.

Enjoy you journey as an urban planning student. Good luck and don't let an addiction to Cyburbia get in the way of you studying.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
What is this "loyalty" of which you speak? Welcome from a former Northern Californian. :b:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Greetings from Indiana, DougM!

Our so-called "loyalty to our jobs" may also be interpreted as certain masochism 8-!

biscuit

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
Our so-called "loyalty to our jobs" may also be interpreted as certain masochism 8-!
Perhaps that combined with a deep seeded fear of poverty. ;-)

Welcome from the city of three rivers.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome from down river of Gedunker and Biscuit

biscuit said:
Perhaps that combined with a deep seeded fear of poverty. ;-)
Been there done that - Not fun.
Job now - paid enough to get me out of debt - health, car, student loan.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Welcome from north of JNA and Gedunker, south of the big mitten! Some of us here are still naive enough to love what we do. :-D

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Doug,
My therapist says I should try to be more friendly to others 8-! .....so welcome to Cyburbia :-D

michaelskis

Cyburbian
PlannerByDay said:
Well, Welcome from the one and only Mitten State. You know the one with a big lake named after it.
It is two Mittens... The UP is sideways and the thumb is up more...

Oh when welcome!

plankton

Cyburbian
Welcome.

michaelskis said:
It is two Mittens... The UP is sideways and the thumb is up more...
I always thought it was a rabbit with Michigan Tech stuck right in the earhole.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I just logged on my coconut computer and conected to Cyburbia through barbwire just so say hello, DougM! :-D

Don't listen to the people that say that in south american underdeveloped countries peole live like monkeys on their trees and that all south america is just like the amazonas :p

Budgie

Cyburbian
DougM --- Welcome !!!! Is it just me or have there been alot of Cali and Indi planners joining us lately? Glad to have you onboard. Post hard, post often and learn to duck.