• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Hey RJ + Boomer Planners......why MACY*S?

The Terminator

Cyburbian
Ok so like as the resident Millennial basement dwelling 240 driving, American strat in drop d tuning playing, rent non paying, chemically curious, dirtbag leftist and punk leaning SCENESTER (grrr dont call me that, Regular car Reviews! https://youtu.be/_nxMYiVdXD0), I don’t quite get the allure of Macy*s?

Sure they have practical business attire and good formal wear in middle class price ranges, sure. But for my cohort, many of us find old retail STALE, remembering hours of endless maze shopping in the Macy*s, Alsxanders, Caldors, John Wanmamakers, Montgomery Wards, JCPenney, The Wiz! and other Sears level department stores for hours on end as little humans in the 1990’s, while our parents spent hours looking for that right blouse for Zia Maria or who had the best price on a VCR for Grandpa. Booooooring. We use the Internet for that and patronize retail as little possible.

Especially those of us privileged to live in a major city like myself: plenty of boutique independant retail to keep our need for vintage trash chic and analog entertainment under control.

And yes......many of us are Prime members....ugh but that’s for another edition.

Why should we Millennials keep Macy*s and 20th century retail allve when it generally sucls experientially and doesn’t satisfy our needs?

Not meant to Jab at Macy*s or any of its patrons, just stirring the pot a bit ;)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
It's an inside joke. For all the things you are, you aren't an insider.

Bye!

J/K;):D
But, I'm going to let others explain the back-story.

Planit

Cyburbian
We'll have to go to the Way Back Machine and look at a young poster that went by the handle "urban-19" and his undying knowledge that if only a :macys: would locate in SLO, Cali, all would be right with the world.

Also he and Raf and bubba became besties...:h:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
We'll have to go to the Way Back Machine and look at a young poster that went by the handle "urban-19" and his undying knowledge that if only a :macys: would locate in SLO, Cali, all would be right with the world.

And urban was a millennial. Wow how the world turns....

Bubba

Cyburbian

:lmao: Oh, geez, that idiot kid. Hey, TT, my location status is a direct shot at one of urban19's more, um, interesting posts...

DVD

Cyburbian
I might have to go read some of the old posts. I only caught pieces of it and never the whole story.

Veloise

Cyburbian
I might have to go read some of the old posts. I only caught pieces of it and never the whole story.
The whole thing is just hilarious. He used the same handle on other message boards as well, and under that sobriquet spouted off all his :macys: claptrap

The topic is the reason we have a :macys: dingbat

ETA: waiting on a contractor, so here are some of the threads.

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39019

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37484&highlight=macy%27s

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37766&highlight=macy%27s

"I don't even know where to start so I am just going to leave it alone. The only thing I have to say is urban19 you have an incredibly narrow point of view and if I remember correctly you are quite young. Travel. A lot. To places where there are people that don't look like you. "

"You are speaking to planners that have worked in the industry for a while- and we are not too old to not be aware of understand this urban culture you speak of. But you began this thread discussing Urban cores- so perhaps take the advice you have been nicely provided and look at your research from a different- say, academic and professional approach"

"I'm a bit confused about what it is this research addresses. It seems like a marketing study for an urban teen clothing business, but maybe I am missing the point. One thing to be very careful about in any research is making such concrete observations about ethnic mixes, the clothing "mainly" worn, etc, without having some sort of data to back it up. Just going by what you observe casually is not enough. You would be surprised how much our "impression" can differ from reality.

You have listed a lot of cities - have you visited them all? Can you say with certainty that your assertions are true? And why do you need to identify these factors of fashion in particular? (maybe there is a good reason, I just didn't see it in your post). Defining/responding to these questions may help you zone in on what it is you are investigating or the hypothesis you intend to prove/disprove.

If you are suggesting these fashion trends are some kind of indicator of youth culture, you need to articulate that more. And I agree that culture and even youth culture embraces a lot more than just clothing. Music, social activity, how kids pass the time, how they use public space, socio-economic and ethnic make-up, home situations, school, etc. are all important factors to consider.

Lastly, be sensitive to the way you speak about other cultures or you are likely to get slammed pretty hard. You say "Africans" but I suspect you mean African Americans (or are you speaking of an African immigrant community?). You talk about "Hispanics" but living in a place with a lot of Spanish speaking people from both the US and elsewhere, this is a big generalization. With such a large population with this background in California, you might want to dilineate among different groups - Mexican immigrants, Mexican-Americans, others from the Spanish speaking world, etc. And are there not a lot of youth from various Asian backgrounds as well? Some of those are immigrants and others have had families here for many generations. In the end, ethnicity is only one way people self-identify and to avoid insult, its helpful to nuance those identities with other factors."

you know you're a boomer when you use words like sobriquet without having to google 'em

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Yeah, good old Urban 19. I hope he grew up and got a job on the dark side. Next thing we'll be digging up was our resident nazi nympho. She was fun until she felt the wrath of the ban hammer. I still think Maister was behind that one.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Next thing we'll be digging up was our resident nazi nympho. She was fun until she felt the wrath of the ban hammer. I still think Maister was behind that one.
I had the distinct pleasure of banning her on another forum as soon as she registered. :h:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Yeah, good old Urban 19. I hope he grew up and got a job on the dark side. Next thing we'll be digging up was our resident nazi nympho. She was fun until she felt the wrath of the ban hammer. I still think Maister was behind that one.
No, not me. Really. I would not do that.

Canadian Planner

Cyburbian
Maister said:
No, not me. Really. I would not do that
Hear him. Hear him. I have it on good authority that Maister would never countenance such an underhanded thing. Sorry.

The Terminator

Cyburbian
OMG now I finally get it! Thanks for the context.

I read through all of Urban19 and lost my shit!

That Macy*s site selection thread.............................:lmao:

Think I'm going to take a picture in front of my closest MACY*S now ;P There are two within a 10 minute drive from where I am right now: one in Parkchester, Bronx and another in Yonkers.....hmmmm.

Otis

Cyburbian
Next thing we'll be digging up was our resident nazi nympho.
Was she the bra seller?

I regret that when u-19 was carrying on about retail and wanting to be a planner we didn't direct him away from planning school and into B-school and real estate development. I think that would have suited him better. I don't think he really understood what planners do.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Was she the bra seller?

I regret that when u-19 was carrying on about retail and wanting to be a planner we didn't direct him away from planning school and into B-school and real estate development. I think that would have suited him better. I don't think he really understood what planners do.
I thought he posted somewhere that he wasn't interested in planning and was going to do real estate development instead. At least I have the distinction of telling him to go smoke a bowl :D

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
...Next thing we'll be digging up was our resident nazi nympho. She was fun until she felt the wrath of the ban hammer. I still think Maister was behind that one.
I vaguely remember the one you are speaking of . IIRC, she arrived and brought all of her drama and felt the banhammer all in very short order - like all within about a week or so?

I remember not being online at all for a couple of weeks (maybe it was Christmas time or I was away on vacation) and when I returned, things were just calming down from her (and her "sister"?) and I tried catching up through old posts and locked threads but never really quite got what on earth was going on with that one.

Didn't Urban19 stick around for a few months and at least try to post about things that weren't solely focused on :macys:? Was Urban19 actually banned or did he just grow up and move on?

[youtube]BONgL61snlM&start_radio=1&list=RDBONgL61snlM[/youtube]

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I vaguely remember the one you are speaking of . IIRC, she arrived and brought all of her drama and felt the banhammer all in very short order - like all within about a week or so?

I remember not being online at all for a couple of weeks (maybe it was Christmas time or I was away on vacation) and when I returned, things were just calming down from her (and her "sister"?) and I tried catching up through old posts and locked threads but never really quite got what on earth was going on with that one.
Starring Emma?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Starring Emma?
That's the one. Someone should post the highlights from that thread.:-c8-!
Found these

Dan was Teh MOD who dropped the Banhammer

Emma Superstar, 204.8.163.219 (United States), returning troll (Starring Emma, starring_emma, Jewish_Becca, Mrs Sliptinschit, Mrs_Sliptinschit, Liberals R Evil, HeCameOnMyHair, bring CHET back)

One of her demotivationals.
http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47212&p=640869&viewfull=1#post640869

Suburb Repairman was Teh MOD who dropped the Banhammer

User: Starring Emma (75.249.99.35, United States)
Rules violation: drive by posting in FAC in violation of 2.13 bigotry & hate speech; 2.12 cranks; 2.15 trolling
Moderator action: Permanent ban: 19 July 2011
Comments: For you old-timers on here, this appears to be the same person as Starring_Emma based on the IP, birthdate and posting pattern.
http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44580&p=598735&viewfull=1#post598735

NHPlanner was Teh MOD who dropped the Banhammer

User: Liberals R Evil (75.249.99.35, United States)
Rules violation: Sockpuppet of Starring Emma; drive by posting in FAC in violation of 2.13; 2.15 trolling
Moderator action: Permanent ban: 19 July 2011 (banned before I left work yesterday, just getting to posting here now)
Comments:
http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44580&p=598805&viewfull=1#post598805

Thread: The Inquisition: Starring Emma http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50530

Thread: Starring_Emma: should we invite her back for an encore?
Poll results: Should we inviite Starring_Emma back to Cyburbia for a few days?
http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43493

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Generation X planner here.

I'm mourning the death of Sears. It's been going downhill for a few decades, but the decision to move production of Craftsman hand and hardline tools from the United States to China was the nail in the coffin for me. Especially since the prices stayed the same. I can get better CoO Taiwan tools at Harbor Freight for half the price as CoO China Craftsman, or pay a bit more and find an online sale for some lesser-known CoO USA industrial brand like Blackhawk or Proto.

Since I moved here, we lost our Sears and Bon-Ton. JC Penny and a local department store closed before I moved here. The closest full service department store is now over an hour drive away.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I heard Sears sold off most of their brands a few years ago like Craftsman and Kenmore. I guess I kinda miss what Sears was - I have fond memories of getting the catalogue delivered to our house when I was a kid, but the reality is that Sears actually disappeared in all but name some time ago.

Sears was for a long time leaders in retail innovation. They created an empire in the 19th century by building their catalogue sales business along the newly opening railroad routes , and again in the 20th century when they anticipated the growth of car ownership and highways, by building stores in the suburbs across the country. Funny how they could be retail leaders for over a century and then lose their capacity to adapt when later market forces started to impact the retail industry.

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Nothing wrong with real estate development. There’s a lot of bright young developers who are doing some pretty innovative incremental projects. Wish I had the resources and knowledge to join them.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sears has been a shell of itself for a long time now so it's no surprise. It's been interesting to see what's been happening with their closed stores in my area. The one at Willowbrook Mall has was subdivided and now has a Dave & Busters. At Paramus Park Mall the plan is for a Stew Leonard's which required a lot of planning & zoning variances that were ultimately approved.