• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Hey There

Dharmster

Cyburbian
Hi.. I've had a little slack time at work, so I managed to catch up with this board for the first time in about four months.

I think I introduced myself before the conversion to the new software, but I'll do it again.

My name is Dharm Guruswamy. I'm 30 and live in Arlington, Virginia home of some of the best transit oriented development in the country.

I work in the Strategic Planning department at Amtrak corporate headquarters where I'm a Planning & Policy Officer. Currently I'm assigned to the National Network (our codeword for long distance trains) team, but we are very small group and in practice I work on other areas including corridors, restructuring, route changes, etc.. (wherever there is a need). One of the projects I worked on in late Spring was Amtrak's first strategic plan in recent history:

Amtrak Strategic Plan

In previous jobs I've worked for a beltway bandit consulting firm on transportation issues and a international development bank on developing urban transport projects.

I have a masters degree in urban planning (and transportation engineering) and actually got my AICP. I dropped it though because neither my previous job or present ones really care about it (my group is headed up a MPP from Harvard, I work for a JD from Virginia, others include a MBA from U of Chicago, and someone with a masters in architecture and business from UIC). I still enjoy attending urban planning oriented seminars and exhibits. I also am somewhat involved in the local public transit debate and engage in conversation with my local county commissioner who also serves on the WMATA board.

So anyway, I'm likely to lurk more than participate. I'll be lurking ;)

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Hey welcome back (cheers for Arlington!)

Yes I have yet to go anywhere that AICP ment a damn thing, not to say some where out they they value it but ive not come across it.

MPAs, JDs, MBA etc seem to be of more use. But hey thats just me.

Amtrak is pretty intresting-we look forward to your input.

PG

SGB

Cyburbian
Welcome back. Lurking's fine, but participation is a heck of a lot more fun! ;)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Welcome. C'mon, you can't be that busy not to fire off a few posts here and there. ;)

That does sound like a really interesting job.

Dharmster

Cyburbian
The thing is that I waste too much time on the internet OUTSIDE of work. So I basically only surf some sites when I have free time at work.

Well the work can be interesting, but given the current political climate also frustrating at times.

Last edited:

jordanb

Cyburbian
That plan looks good. Gunn's a great guy. Too bad the current administration is out to kill rail. Maybe in four years...

Dharmster

Cyburbian
You mean 5 more years right? If Bush is reelected, he will be sworn in for his second term on January, 2005. His term will expire in January 2009.

Maybe in four years...