• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 Hey y'all!

ebeech121

Cyburbian
Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm from McDonough, Georgia (about 45 minutes southeast of Atlanta--Yes..that in minutes, not miles. :D ) I am currently finishing my junior year at Georgia State University. It's been rough especially since I added Urban Policy Studies as a degree pursuit (that's where the planning falls under at my school). I am originally a Sociology major (B.A.) and now I'm a dual degree--with the B.S. in UPS. 8-! Nerd! I found out too late that having a degree in Sociology will not make me a planner, no matter how many brochures had "urban planner" as a potential career. Oh well. No school is perfect...None. :)

I really love Atlanta (and I know a few interesting sociological facts about it..ask me some time) but I also love small towns. I don't think New Urbanism is going to work, "College for Everyone" is a sham, and Eisenhower had a good idea....not.

I like all kinds of different things inside and outside of cities. I usually have a lot to say and a lot of time, too. I looove music and movies and..chatting..yeah. Stuff.

I am a Damned Yankee--born in southern Ohio and moved down here to Georgia (Jawja) in 1994. The Olympics were a mess! And I lived in the GSU Village that was once the housing for the Olympic athletes in '96. They're crappy. :-#

So come on! Talk to me!!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Welcome! I was going to say 'nice to see some more southerners', but I guess you are really from Ohio. ;)

JNL

Cyburbian
Welcome! Wow, what an intro! Very 'energetic'! There should be plenty to keep you amused on here :)

ebeech121

Cyburbian
But I am!!...halfway?

nerudite said:
Welcome! I was going to say 'nice to see some more southerners', but I guess you are really from Ohio. ;)

I am one of the many G.H.R.I.T.S. (Girls Half-Raised In The South). ;-) I moved here when I was 11..and I am 21 now. Plus, I traded my "warsh-cloth" southern Ohio accent for a "hey y'all watchoodern" southern accent.

Budgie

Cyburbian
ebeech121 said:
Qu'est-ce que c'est "Droggy"?

Oh yeah..I speak French like a lil 3 year old.

Hang on, "Volkmen" is Germany. OK, a shift to the 1982 Grand Master Flash, NY lingo, Word up homey. How about a toke on my samovar? Have a cup of tea.

Budgie

Cyburbian
ebeech121 said:
:) I can do Grand Master Flash, homes.

Ah !!! now you got me started. I spinnin' (yeah, I got vinyl), "The Message" followed by "Apache"

"I can't get too far cause tha' man with the tow truck repossessed my car"..................................................................."She had to get a pimp, couldn't make it on her own..................................... la, la, la.....

The Sugar Hill Gang rule.

Footnote:

The correct lingo is "holmes" rather than "homes" in honor of Larry.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome
from SW IN, in the C T Z, on northshore of the Ohio River, at mm 792.5.

Budgie

Cyburbian
ebeech121 said:
"College for Everyone" is a sham, and Eisenhower had a good idea....not. So come on! Talk to me!!

OUCH, you said something demeaning to IKE. Oh, I am offended. I'll be damned if I ever respond to another post by you without trying to drag your good name through the cyburbia mud. Yes, I'm talking to you. If you really want to scrap PM me. ;]>

biscuit

Cyburbian
ebeech121 said:
I am a Damned Yankee--born in southern Ohio and moved down here to Georgia (Jawja) in 1994. The Olympics were a mess!

Welcome:b:
You might be from Ohio but it's apparent that some southernisms have rubbed off on you – giving distance in minutes instead of miles and such. So keep posting and get more southern.

And yes, the ’96 Olympics were a mess.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
These intros do have a way of taking on their own life, now, don't they?

Greetings from south central Indiana, 22 days out from illegally switching our clocks to Eastern Daylight Savings Time, 609 miles south of the birthplace of the Mighty O-HI-O, in sight of the grand Falls of the Ohio, where our *warshcloths* are never used to clean our *vee-Hik-uls*. :-D

Belle

Cyburbian
Rem said:
Hi - welcome. Hope you aren't too confused by the greetings.
And if you are, don't worry--I've been here a while and I'm confused by some of them myself...

Welcome from the Upstate of SC! As I posted earlier this week, I look forward to hearing insights from Atlanta, as it's the only "city" I get to with any regularity. Slack away!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Welcome from the area with a fun name (KALAMAZOO)!!!

I have relatives who live in Peach Tree (kind of by you I think)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Welcome from the bottom of Lake Michigan - Chicago!

by ebeech121:
"College for Everyone" is a sham

That's strong, but I agree with you.

ebeech121

Cyburbian
Peach Tree?!

michaelskis said:
I have relatives who live in Peach Tree (kind of by you I think)

Which one? West Peachtree? East Peachtree? Peachtree Place? Peachtree Rd.? Peachtree City?

I could go on...but I won't embarrass myself. :)

And yes. Those greetings are slightly...really...strange. But no more than the peeps down here in ATL (the airport abbrev. and an appropriate nickname). We've just gotten our first taste of the real weather. Sunny and not-as-chilly (60s).

Everyone gets a college degree and the one you have (or like me, are getting) will be worthless and there will be no competitiveness in the job market. On the other hand, I do think the world would be a better place if society was generally more educated. Prejudice goes asunder when education steps in. "College for Everyone" is intended well, but think about it like this: There will always be something that everyone wants and may not be able to get. These things lose their social value when everyone has one; television, car, cellphone, etc.

I hope that makes sense--kinda babbling. Like a springtime brook. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ebeech121

Cyburbian
Goodbye

I'm saying goodbye.

This could have been a great place to hang out except for the blatant exclusionary behavior.

I shall go spend my time elsewhere.

I appreciate the help that I received from those few members. Thanks.

Goodbye.

H

Cyburbian
It is too bad you are leaving, I enjoyed the fact that you had an Atlanta influence.

Last edited:

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
ebeech121 said:
I'm saying goodbye.

This could have been a great place to hang out except for the blatant exclusionary behavior.

I shall go spend my time elsewhere.

I appreciate the help that I received from those few members. Thanks.

Goodbye.

Did I miss something here? If you have any issues with the site, please feel free to contact any of the moderators.

Sorry to hear Cyburbia didn't "work" for you :(

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Huh? Im with Tranplanner, please let one of us Mods know if something is up. Reading back over the posts Im not sure where there might be a problem but we do welcome you and hope you will come back and join us.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I am also surprised that ebeech121 departed so swiftly. Seems in my time here that some people just stick and others don't.

She posted a query with her email address in the FAC requesting emails to her in response. Dan moved the thread to Zoning (Dan also edited her address to at instead of @) saving her and us from trolls no doubt). Maybe that had something to do with it...

nerudite

Cyburbian
Jeff said:
and I didn't even get to say goodbye :(

Or hello for that matter.

[OT]It's so good to see you again Jeff! We were all wondering where you've been! [/OT]

And just so ebeech doesn't feel snubbed: it's good to see you that you are sticking around too.