• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hey. you FLA planners: info please

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
A planner position is currently advertised for Bay County, Florida (Panama City). As you know, I'm ready to bolt from Idaho given my personal situation and the f''ing cold winters here. What can you tell me about the place? Should I bring my sons with me? (They say it's up to me if I should apply.) An inquiring planner wants to know. Thanks, PM me if you want to keep it off the board.

Rem

Cyburbian
An ingenious pad technique Jake. Just enter everything twice.
An ingenious pad technique Jake. Just enter everything twice, twice.

I hear Bay City (in Bay County) is very nice. They have Rollers there.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Rem said:
An ingenious pad technique Jake. Just enter everything twice.
An ingenious pad technique Jake. Just enter everything twice, twice.

I hear Bay City (in Bay County) is very nice. They have Rollers there.
I'm glad you approve of the style (doing my best to enter the clube ;-) ). BTW, what are these Roller of which you speak?

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
It is called the Redneck Riviera because so many Alabamans like to come down and use the area as their beach. The panhandle of Florida is quite different from the rest of the state. It is one of my favorite areas of the state. It is more relaxed and the people are friendly. The kids would love it, but the Gulf Coast is not for learning how to surf unless a hurricane or tropical storm were to come by. Plus, you are only 4 hours or so to New Orleans.

I have met a number of Bay County employees at various functions and they really like it there.

Word of caution, Florida planning is very different from everyone else because of the growth management laws. I know that sometimes employers have been known to lean towards those with Florida growth management law experience.

Best of luck to you. I was eyeing that job too. I just want to get back to my home state. I would apply if I were you.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Panama City attracts hurricanes like mobile homes attract tornadoes (but hey, they have a lot of experience in evacuating residents). But the panhandle does have some incredible beaches, rivers, and conservation areas. It would be one of the more affordable areas of Florida, too. And, as TN said, it's generally a pretty laid-back area. I say go for it.

lowlyplanner

Cyburbian
The phrase "Redneck Riviera" sort of sums it up - and not in a bad way.

Northern Florida and the Panhandle are much more "southern" than people usually think of when they think of Florida. Also, Panama City is a resort town, so it should have a better night life than most other cities its size.

Finally, you'll be really close to Seaside! Isn't that special?

Dragon

Cyburbian
While I'm not from Florida, I do live nearby, and visit a friend that lives 30 minutes away from Panama City.

Winters around here, you might see 3 weeks of 30 degree weather.

Hurricanes aren't that bad, unless you get a big one.

The beach is great. Even if you don't go swimming in it.

plannerkat

Cyburbian
The panhandle is the next big growth area in Florida. The beaches are georgeous and the seafood is delish! That said, the area is very "pro-development" and on its way to becoming a wall of ocean-front condos, while northern parts of the county are very rural. In some parts zoning is still viewed as a communist plot. All in all, the panhandle is one of my favorite areas of the state and where my family hails from.

I'd be applying for that position myself if it weren't less than an hour away from my mother-in-law!

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
Before you go for an interview, please check out the Florida Dept. of Community Affairs and go to Community Planning and get up to speed on the Fl Growth Mgt. laws, Rule 9J-5 that implements the laws and the Developments of Regional Impact laws. these are probably on their website otherwise do a search for florida statutes and then look these up on the the statutue webpage.

Come on down...the weather and water is fine. Summers are hell. we have reverse cabin fever...we don't go out in the summer except the mornings or go to the beach.

Us Florida planners can prep you for an interview and you will look GOOD!

H

Cyburbian
Once the new airport is built the area is going to take off (pardon the pun;)), even more than currently. It should make interesting planning. :)

PS: be warned if you go on your visit before may it is currntly spring break city.