• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

hey

boiker

Cyburbian
well, i don't have internet access at work, and none of the other planners do. so i'll be rarely here until then..]

:(

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
boiker said:
well, i don't have internet access at work, and none of the other planners do. so i'll be rarely here until then..]

:(
Holy crap - where are you working, North Korea? Hope you can make it back online soon!

Sounds like my last job where only "privileged" planners were allowed internet access. Take care!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I couldn't imagine working without the Internet anymore. Besides Cyburbia, I am on here a dozen times a day to look things up. I probably get a dozen or more legitimate e-mails every day.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
WOW. How can Chicago Suburbs have that level of graft and corruption without electronic media to assist....

el Guapo

Capitalist
Re: Re: hey

Tranplanner said:

Holy crap - where are you working, North Korea? Hope you can make it back online soon!
Speaking of...here is some more bturk Rumsfield art.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
bturk said:
WOW. How can Chicago Suburbs have that level of graft and corruption without electronic media to assist....
For those who like to watch local corruption, Rosemont and Cicero are especially entertaining communities. Schaumbug isn't so bad, it's just the defining picture of suburban sprawl.

boiker

Cyburbian
updates, those i should do

i should have updated you guys a week ago.. but damn busy.

yes only the director gets internet access. bastards.

It is very difficult not having it, i can't believe how often i referenced the net before. Now i'm information starved.

We moved into an apartment.. housing is just way to expensive. My apartment is about a 10 minute walk from work.. that is perfect for me. I can come home for lunch and see my kids and wife. The job is good. Lots of detail here, the other place i was at wasn't interested in as many details as they were results.

I personally administer a shopping center site improvement program. basically when a new tenant leases space, we require that the owner of the shopping center either improve their property (to current code) by the percentage the new tennant leases vs. entire shopping center. IF they feel that they would like to not make the updates immediatly we allow them to deposit an escrow until a master site plan is created, reviewed, sent to commission.. blah... but it's actually had decent results with minimal owner complaints. We can also require ENTIRE site upgrades for shopping centers that are over 15 years old.

Then i do ZBA and all the other various planner functions..

Everything is in order now except for office contact to cyburbia.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
It always amazes me that some people still don't get how critically important a tool the Internet can be for legitimate work purposes.

Runner

Cyburbian
Re: Re: hey

Tranplanner said:
Holy crap - where are you working, North Korea?
Holly cow! No internet, I can't imagine a place like that.

Maybe a N. Korean internet connection would work for your city: two dixie cups and a spool of string. Do you have telephones?

Speaking of N. Korea, check this out:
Earthlights_NASA

Enlarge it then scroll over to the Korean peninsula. If I didn't know better I would have said that South Korea must be an island.