• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

HGTV special of interest to planners

apagano

It airs Sunday 4/27 at 9pm Eastern. Looks interesting...

From HGTV.com:

Homestead Holdouts

Homestead Holdouts is a one-hour anthology of stories about people who refuse to sell their homes, no matter what the price. Now surrounded by development, office buildings or urban sprawl, these modest homes are a testament to the willpower of their owners and their attachment to their homes.

Poignant and funny, we learn about the battles to keep their homes, the relentless pressure to sell from realtors and developers and their moving personal stories. Shot across North America, from Dallas to Seattle and Fresno up to Toronto, Canada, these are six stories about people who defy modern convention and truly believe that money does not buy happiness.

kms

Cyburbian
Did you watch it? what did you think?

I watched most of the program, and wasn't surprised by the type of people who are holding out; these people had sentimental connections to the land. A couple of the women were elderly and unmarried, and the last persons in their families to live on the land. One lady's nephew said that when he inherits the land, he will most likely keep the house and sell the rest of the property.

I didn't see any people my age or younger who are willing to forego the money and keep their land.

I give these people credit for holding out. I don't think that I could live in a house surrounded by a bank.

apagano

I did watch it. I was shocked at how well some of the holdouts get along with the businesses that tried to drive them out. I was impressed with the willpower of the people who turned down millions of dollars and are willing to put up with all kinds of inconveniences just to stay on their land. I don't think I could do the same, but I'm glad there are stronger people than me out there!

Jeff

Cyburbian
Reminds me of a house in Philly nextdoor to a hospital. the hospital expanded (`15 years ago) and bought the whole block. One owner in the middle of the block refused to sell. They built the hospital around the house.

10 years ago they finally sold, there is now 2 parking spaces where the house once stood.