• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 Hi everyone!

urbanyoda

Hi Everyone! I am Art from College Park MD. I Just recieved my degree in Urban Planning from ECU. I am Single, and an Officer in the Army Reserve. I have been a member here for a while but have been so busy that I have not had much of a chance to check this site out or meet or talk to anyone here. I am due to head to Bagdad in January for a year. Once I get back I hope to either get a Job in the DC/MD/VA region as a planner or Attend Grad school (urban planning or urban design) at Uof MD (college park). By Civilian Trade I am a firefighter both Paid and Volunteer and Volunteer as a firefighter in the College Park area. Hope to finally get more involved here as this site is awesome (good job to those responsible) and meet other people.

Budgie

Cyburbian
CGSC?

Hi, Art - Welcome.

Have you every been to the Command and General Staff College (CGSC) at Fort Leavenworth? Or is the Army Reserve very much a part-time gig.

urbanyoda

Hi,
No Havent been to CGSC yet. I just graduated the Basic Course in February. I am prior active duty enlisted though. Been in the Reserves for 4 years. I have been on active duty as a reservist since last september.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Glad you finaly made it Urbanyoda. You will find many friends here...looks at Guap and Mike D.

Ya still owe me that drink in G'town!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
welcome -
from a former Volunteer Firefighter/EMT,
and
among the many Midwesterners. ( I can Capitalize.)

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Welcome! Ahhh, you live in the land of the new Ikea. How dangerous of a place. Therefore, please come visit some of your friends to the south in NoVA.

SGB

Cyburbian
Welcome!

Remember, the Cyburbia Forums are a fountain of knowledge where participants come to drink. ;)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Your bio sounds vaguely familiar.... After my stint in Gulf War One I chose the grad school route. While you are over there keep us posted, and let us know what to send to you and your unit. Cyburbia takes care of its own. :)

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
urbanyoda said:
I am Single, and an Officer in the Army Reserve. ....I am due to head to Bagdad in January for a year. Once I get back

Welcome and bye! :)

Drink lots of water, DO NOT WEAR flea or tic colars on your person, Never trust the locals, put sand on your food now to get used to it, rusian made tracers are green, don't be a hero, trust your sargeants!, if you don't like lots of salt, you will. Have care packeges sent regularly, the food sucks, rocky areas of the roads can contain concealed land mines. OUR OWN expended munitions can STILL KILL YOU! Drill your troops for proper challange and pasword procedures, Americans SUCK AT THIS! There is no mystic anwere to be found on the battlefield. And last, Do WHATEVER you have to in order to come home. COME HOME WITH YOUR SHIELD, NOT ON IT!

Recipie for ditch alcahol:

1 five gallon jurry can of water, standard army issue
5 to 15 pounds of suger
1 to 5 pounds of resigns
1 packet dried wine yeast

Put in jug with other ingredients
Put cover on loosly to allow fermentation gasses to escape
wait 5 to 10 days

Will taste like crap but get you drunk

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Duke's advice is good. You didn't mention your branch. Many of us are prior military and were in GWI, and might be able to let you know what you are in for.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Welcome.

Now I'm going to have to home brew some o that ditch alcohol just because!

urbanyoda

Me :)

Thanks everyone, I can tell this is going to be fun :) (might even learn a thing or two as well (besides making illicit liquor <lol> ).
For those that asked, I am Branched Intell. I spent several years in the 7th Infantry Divison and 82nd Airborne as an Infantryman. Was in Invasion of panama with the 7th. Siani with the 82nd. Went intell. ended up in a Special Forces unit for 6 years. Was in the near invasion of hait. Got out, was intell in the reserves for a while. got commisoned now im back in a Civil Affairs unit. Im single, cute, adorable, carry around Iodine (ah ha beat ya to it, you cant scrape me!) and not a big fan of Ikea (a little to big, and no Toys). Sorry, pots and pans, curtains and fans are not my idea of toys (get your mind out of the gutter (you know who you are <lol>). Anyways, thats me :) Any questions??:c:

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Nice to meet ya! My Grandpa was in intell during WWII in China/Japan, but I don't know much about what he did.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I was two years intel, then transferred to transportation. Got out when they threatened to make me O-3 and giving me a year in Bosnia. Civil affairs would be one of the most interesting jobs in the military (IMO).

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Re: Me :)

urbanyoda said:
Thanks everyone, I can tell this is going to be fun :) (might even learn a thing or two as well (besides making illicit liquor <lol> ).

AH HELL! You knew all that crap better than me any way! You should be able to give ME directions on illicit liquor! :)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
When you say trying to drive fire trucks
what type(s) - Engine, Engine/Tanker, Truck - requires CDL?, Rescue?

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Damn I left Panama in 88 right before Pineapple face was taken down

what a fun place to live

Long live the RIver Rats!

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
urbanyoda said:
Ya know, I always wanted to drive a Tank, but i have a hard enough time trying to drive Fire trucks <lol> ;)

Nah, ours are easy, like driving a sofa. But you get a lot of sleep if your the driver! :)

urbanyoda

JNA, in my paid FF job in NC i drive, both engines and a ladder truck. Duke, i Agree, best job there is :) Planner girl, see, now we really need to meet and talk about old times :)

Budgie

Cyburbian
Re: Me :)

urbanyoda said:
For those that asked, I am Branched Intell. I spent several years in the 7th Infantry Divison and 82nd Airborne as an Infantryman. Was in Invasion of panama with the 7th. Siani with the 82nd. Went intell. ended up in a Special Forces unit for 6 years. Was in the near invasion of hait. Got out, was intell in the reserves for a while. got commisoned now im back in a Civil Affairs unit. Im single, cute, adorable, carry around Iodine (ah ha beat ya to it, you cant scrape me!) and not a big fan of Ikea (a little to big, and no Toys). Sorry, pots and pans, curtains and fans are not my idea of toys (get your mind out of the gutter (you know who you are <lol>). Anyways, thats me :) Any questions??:c:

[mod edit] unecessary personal attack deleted [/mod edit - tranplanner]

There are several military connections in this forum and many of us know people who have seen real action. Many of us are too young to have seen action (except El Guapo), but I can tell you that after hearing the stories my father in-law can tell, you might as well find something else to talk about. That is unless you were a Green Beret paratrooper working recon in Vietnam, then maybe you've got something interesting to talk about. Your pots and pans, curtains and fans ditty was very impressive.

Now that I've given you a little introduction to the forum, please quite pumping yourself up and share some intelligent thoughts. I warn you, there are right and left thinkers on this site, so don't insult us by lobing melons for us to hit. I don't know you, so my first impression was created by the post I'm quoting. I prey that there is more to this new member than meets the first read. Please, Urbanyoda, share your thoughts on the development patterns and economic forces that have shaped suburban development since WW II? This question is a melon for anyone with some planning history knowledge. What was the inspiration behind your username?

Budgie

Cyburbian
Disclaimer of Budgie's Comments

Me :)

Isn't that cute !!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a disclaimer, I should mention that my new hobby is to alienate the entire forum. My goal is to make Budgie the most dispised user of the forum. Thus, my harsh and probably unwarranted criticism of Urbanyoda's shallow first post. My work brings me into contact with fire fighters all over the country, including NC, and I completely respect the public service they provide. I grew up with the military, married into it and have always lived near military installations. I respect the job our enlist and commissioned military servicemen and women perform. Take my earlier comments with a grain of salt and come out firing.

[Mod Hat] Budgie - you're treading a fine line. [/mod hat - tranplanner]

Jeff

Cyburbian
JNA said:
When you say trying to drive fire trucks
what type(s) - Engine, Engine/Tanker, Truck - requires CDL?, Rescue?

Emergency vehicles are CDL exempt...at least in PA

el Guapo

Capitalist
Re: Disclaimer of Budgie's Comments

Budgie said:
My goal is to make Budgie the most dispised user of the forum.

Good News - I believe it is working. You had me at Segway.

PS - Howdy Urban Yoda - The other vets here have given you good advice. Best of luck and let me know where to send your care package.

Jeff

Cyburbian
What house are you at? I used to go to Berwyn Heights every so often back in the day.

Wish I had the time I'd like to be able to sit at 33s on the weekends.

urbanyoda

Budgie

Thanks Budgie, dont worry, your potium is not even worth the grain of salt to sprinkle over. I was not pumping myself up, no need to because I am a proffesional that knows what the hell he is doing and is capable of making sound and rash decisions should the need arise. People asked, so I told them about 10%. Also, No Im not a Green Beret Paratrooper. That is an oximoron and they dont exist as a Green Beret is a Hat, recon is a task and all special forces inherently have to be Airborne ( aka: paratrooper qualified). I was too young to be in Vietnam and really dont care because I have fought in my own battles and excursions to foreign lands that most people have forgotten or could have cared less about because " oh, it wasnt Vietnam". Vietnam is like the Edsil, its time has come and passed into history. Dont ever forget it happened but lets worry about the modern and present conflicts we face (and have faced) while learning from the mistakes of Politicians past (ie: no more Vietnams or Black Hawk Downs. As for all that other gable, put it in laymans terms or quite wasting Key Strokes.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Re: Budgie

urbanyoda said:
Thanks Budgie, dont worry, your potium is not even worth the grain of salt to sprinkle over.

What podium are you refering to? What do you mean by podium? I'm not trying to influence you? Even if I did have a motive to stand at a podium, how do you know that my podium is not vast and influential. What do you know about me? Blanket statements contrived from thin air are not what I would call "sound and rash".

"Green Beret Paratrooper" is not an oxymoron where as "military intelligence" is. We all know what snafu stands for don't we and well all know where the term snafu came from.

Vietnam is like the Edsil, its time has come and passed into history.

Have you every seen "Heartbreak Ridge". You utter this sentiment where I live and you'll get your a** handed to you. Lessons learned in blood during Vietnam are what save lives during conflicts today. And history does repeat itself.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Urbanyoda:

I don't have anything against you personally, I'm just trying to break you in to some of the rants and rebuttals you may run across during your visits to Cyburbia.

Share your thoughts on ISO ratings?

Welcome, to the forum !!!!!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
How do you do that blue quote box?

Originally posted by Budgie
Share your thoughts on ISO ratings?

Which ISO ratings are you asking about:
Fire or CRS?