• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Hi there! 👋 Hi everyone!

Budgie

Cyburbian
In my best Beavis voice,

"FIRE, FIRE, FIRE - HUH, HUH, HUH - FIRE FIRE FIRE"

urbanyoda

No Problem Budgie. ISO as it applies to fire isnt a bad concept. However in my experience, it isnt always whats best for a community as far as fire protection goes. In General it takes the charecteristics of a community as a whole rather than specific areas. For example: according to ISO, one class A pumper can in theory cover an area of a town or city in a circle 1 mile all the way around. One ladder truck can cover an area I believe to be 1.5 or 2 miles. In a perfect world, tiny town or really low populated area this might work. Realisticly, ISO dosent take into account the fire loading of one area over another, response times versus time of day, road types, rmedical responses, road construction (how, and what the road is made of), bridges, choke points and just shear population of a given area. Realisticly, given the above, considerations while one area may sufice with the above formula, another area, taking into account the above factors may actually require two engines and a ladder truck within that same 1 mile circle. For the tax payer it may be a good thing, but for the man on the ground it may mean seconds or a matter of life or death.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
When you go over to the big sandbox, make sure you remember your baby wipes. Apparently, they are a great commodity over there.

Rem

Cyburbian
Welcome urbanyoda. Well done on rousing the natives with your intro. Budgie is being a bit prickly lately.

I can offer no combat advice for your impending trip other than if you meet any Australian service personnel I am sure they will greet you warmly. When dealing with Australian service personel however, be careful of their beer - a cultural sleight assoicated with beer ownership, consumption or the relative quality of different brands may be more dangerous then a land mine.