• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 Hi from MadeInNewEngland

Hello. I am basically a browser. I'm trying to decide if I want to study Urban Planning. I have always had an interest in environmental issues, and architecture. I'm not sure if I have the gift of compromise that an urban planner needs to have though. If it was up to me there wouldn't be such a thing as suburbia. I really enjoy the discussions on this board and I'm glad I stumbled across it.

SGB

Cyburbian
Welcome from central New York. I've been a Connecticut escapee now for 15 years. ;)

Read, discuss, learn and be assimilated.

SGB said:
Welcome from central New York. I've been a Connecticut escapee now for 15 years. ;)

Read, discuss, learn and be assimilated.

How did you do it? I've been stuck in CT for too long. :) Looking to move to Boston soon though.

Doitnow

Cyburbian
I'm trying to decide if I want to study Urban Planning
You have already taken one good decision. That of joining Cyburbia.
Now take the other one. Whatever it may be planning is a challenging profession.
Anycase, Welcome! :)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Greetings from Thunder Country, north side of the Ohio, 609 miles from its birthplace. We haven't the slightest idea what it is around here, but oh well.

I presume you have time to decide what you would like to do. Don't rush to decide if you don't have to. Enjoy Cyburbia.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome
from the northshore of the Ohio River at Milemarker 792.5
in the CTZ therefore west of Gedunker.

Post early, post often with wit and insight.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Welcome. Cyburbia is a great place to explore the planning profession and het a feel for what we have to deal with on a regular basis. As for compromises, you'll have to make them in any field you choose.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Welcome from the bottom of Lake Michigan - Chicago!

CT is not too bad. My wife lived in Milford for a year before we got married, and I kind of liked it, at least the southwestern part.

If it's not that great by many measures, it is wonderfully located for access to great cities/places of the East Coast - NY, Boston, Providence, Philadelphia, etc...Oh...and Bridgeport ;-)

Last edited:

Budgie

Cyburbian
MadeInNewEngland said:
I'm trying to decide if I want to study Urban Planning.

A little advice - DON'T FOR GOD'S SAKE !!!!! Having said that, I really like it.

Welcome from the City where Wild Bill Hickok got his first real job.

Rem

Cyburbian
MadeInNewEngland said:
Hello......I'm trying to decide if I want to study Urban Planning..........
Hello and welcome MINE. The only way to answer your question is to start the course, graduate, work as a planner for 40 years and then sit back and contemplate your achievments. If that sounds difficult, I can say you at least have the insight to be a planner.