• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Hi from Mumbai

vikaas

Hi, i am basicaaly an architect and have done my masters in Urban design from University of Sydney, Australia. Good to have an opportunity to know similar souls out there, who wish to plan and think biggers

Rem

Cyburbian
Hello and welcome from one of your former temporary country men.

I've just responded to your question about use of space under fly overs, in another thread, citing Darling Harbour. Imagine my surprise when I find you were studying a stone's throw from there.

Michele Zone

BANNED
I hate to say it, as I am likely to get Booed and Hissed in THIS forum for doing so (what with all the geographers here), but Americans are notoriously bad at "geography" -- especially any that is outside the US. I am sure I can Find Mumbai on a map, what with a Certificate in GIS and internet service, but I think it would be so cool if future "foreigners" clued us silly Americans in and posted a map. <cackle>

Welcome aboard.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Michele Zone said:
I am sure I can Find Mumbai on a map, what with a Certificate in GIS and internet service, but I think it would be so cool if future "foreigners" clued us silly Americans in and posted a map.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Welcome aboard from mile 609 of the mighty Ohio River!

biscuit

Cyburbian
To steal Gedunker's welcome line...
Welcome from mile 0 of the mighty Ohio River.

So has there been a great Cyburbia awakening on the sub-continent? There have been several Indian planners joining in on the fun over the past couple of weeks.

BKM

Cyburbian
Welcome!

I've always had one question about your city: Do the average residents call it Mumbai, or was the name change from Bombay purely an "official" (what we would call "politically correct") thing that nobody follows? Just like in San Francisco, it was always really "Candlestick Park," not "3-Com Park"? :)

JNL

Cyburbian
Welcome vikaas from 42 degrees below the equator - New Zealand :)

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Welcome Vikaas.

I hope you are able to propose some aesthetic use for the areas under the flyover.
The best use for a city like Mumbai would be greening/landscaping, fountains etc.
And no commercial or kiosks as it will add to the chaos on the traffic on the roads.
Hyderabad has beautiful fountains and landscaped greens under the tiny flyovers it has.
I think the Mayor or the commissioner of the BMC had just visited Hyderabad to learn how our civic authorities are making the 'Clean and Green' slogan a reality out there.

"politically correct"
Well BKM, originally ( I mean historically) the name was Mumbai( after the goddess/diety Mumba Devi). The Britishers as usual called it Bombay as it may have been easier to pronounce. They did that to many places.
Now the politically correct name is Mumbai. It will take time for the Indians( Including me ;-) ) to get used to the old name. As I still call it Bombay.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Welcome! I visited Mumbai about 7 years ago and really enjoyed it. You certainly have a lot of interesting planning issues going on.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Welcome to Cyburbia, Vikaas, watch out.. Cyburbia can get very, very, very addictive! 8-!

vikaas

Hi debra,
it is officially Mumbai not but i have prefer to call it Bombay, and so do most of the people i know.

vikaas

Hi rem!,
u suggestion sounds good but the concern here is that the flyovers in Mumbai are built on existing routes, which still carry traffic, hence concern about people crossing to reach any landuse planned under the bridge.
Nonetheless Darling harbour is an excellent example for experimenting good landuse under bridges.