• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Hi I am Michael from Hong Kong

MRogersHK

Hi everyone at Cyburbia. I am Michael, residing in Hong Kong originally from Melbourne Australia. Currently working as a Senior Urban Designer and loving the fast pace of life here.
I am preparing to sit my AICP exam later this year, i'll need all the help I can get! I have started revision and writing my criterion essays ready for next month's early bird application. Any tips??

regards,
Michael

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Hi Michael,

Welcome! My main tip is obvious but sometimes overlooked. Be sure to address all aspects of the qualification questions/criteria in your essay. If you don't have the exact, perfect experience to satisfy a criterion, that's ok - but be sure to clearly how the experience you do have counts. Using APA's criterion checklist is helpful.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome from the Hoosier State (Indiana).

Sorry cant help you with the application,
1. haven't kept up with application requirements
2. wrote my application 20+ yrs ago
3. there should be a webinar for us old folks on mentoring applicants

MRogersHK

Hi Michael,

Welcome! My main tip is obvious but sometimes overlooked. Be sure to address all aspects of the qualification questions/criteria in your essay. If you don't have the exact, perfect experience to satisfy a criterion, that's ok - but be sure to clearly how the experience you do have counts. Using APA's criterion checklist is helpful.
Thanks terraplnr. I am trying my best to address all the criterion. Is it too obvious/cliche if I almost answer them word for word within a essay format? I was thinking it would be easier for the peer reviewers to check it off rather than reading between the lines. I am going to try and have someone with a fresh set of eyes go over my drafts before I submit -thats my final step

Welcome from the Hoosier State (Indiana).

Sorry cant help you with the application,
1. haven't kept up with application requirements
2. wrote my application 20+ yrs ago
3. there should be a webinar for us old folks on mentoring applicants
Hi JNA. thanks for the warm welcome

Welcome from downeast Maine USA! Just remember, B and D are the most used answers on standardized tests!
I'll remember that ha

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Thanks terraplnr. I am trying my best to address all the criterion. Is it too obvious/cliche if I almost answer them word for word within a essay format? I was thinking it would be easier for the peer reviewers to check it off rather than reading between the lines. I am going to try and have someone with a fresh set of eyes go over my drafts before I submit -thats my final step
No, not too obvious - answering them as clearly as possible (but still making sure the essay flows) is important.

Top Bottom