• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Hi! I'm...JStein4716...Geez. What a boring name.

JStein4716

But its the name I use for all things Internet, so why change now? I'm new to Cyburbia, having stumbled across it while searching futilely (is that a word?) for a list of Tennessee planning firms. The problem with that, of course, is there are no Tennessee planning firms. But I digress...

I'm currently a planner for a regional planning agency in the city that matches my avatar (I'd say make it a guess-the-city but I imagine its obvious) and I'm looking forward to taking part in the forums here at Cyburbia.

JNL

Cyburbian
I've noticed that a lot of the people who sign up with strings of numbers at the end of their username don't tend to stick around... but you have a reason for yours so lets hope you don't follow that trend! Welcome from New Zealand :)

BKM

Cyburbian
Welcome from Northern California. I can't quite read you icon, so I can't guess the City-but it looks like a major river city so I'll guess Memphis???

I actually started my career years ago in another Tennessee river city-Knoxville. I need to visit again.

ludes98

Cyburbian
JNL said:
I've noticed that a lot of the people who sign up with strings of numbers at the end of their username don't tend to stick around...

Awww come on!! ;-)

Welcome to the party, from the Valley of the Sun.

JStein4716

BKM said:
Welcome from Northern California. I can't quite read you icon, so I can't guess the City-but it looks like a major river city so I'll guess Memphis???

I actually started my career years ago in another Tennessee river city-Knoxville. I need to visit again.
You're right about the state, but not the city. And you're right about the icon...but one can only squeeze so much into 80 pixels. :)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome
from the northshore of the Ohio River,
in the CTZ therefore west of Gedunker.

GTC in the Avatar -
my guess is Chattanooga from the river showing the Aquarium.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Welcome from the west side of the Mitten State.

Glad you found us in your search for the ever elusive Tenn. Planning Firm, at least you searches resulted in something. CYBURBIA :-c

biscuit

Cyburbian
JNA said:
GTC in the Avatar -
my guess is Chattanooga from the river showing the Aquarium.
I think you're right. I couldn't tell from the avatar, but the location of "just read the barns" is an obvious reference (for those of us from the Southeast at least) to this

Welcome from the headwaters of the Ohio River.

Last edited:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Greetings from east of JNA, south of PlannerbyDay, west of biscuit, and north of you. Just 40-odd hours until we illegally go to daylight savings time. (We Hoosiers are an odd bunch). Post early, post often.

Bye bye and buy bonds.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Welcome from the heel of the mitten state. (no one else better call me a 'heel', though :eek:| .....)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Welcome to you (JStein) and all the ones I haven't said hello.
Hope you have a great time here, and stick around to challenge JNL's theory :)

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
Welcome from a Florida planner who came here from Tenn...went to UT Planning School...did you check the planning school's website for jobs in Tenn?

JStein4716

biscuit said:
I think you're right. I couldn't tell from the avatar, but the location of "just read the barns" is an obvious reference (for those of us from the Southeast at least) to this

Welcome from the headwaters of the Ohio River.
Correct! Speaking of Rock City, did you know the man who originally painted all of the Rock City barns died recently? NPR did a segment on him (that's the closest Chattanooga comes to national attention most of the time...and maybe that's not a bad thing.)

JStein4716

sisterceleste said:
Welcome from a Florida planner who came here from Tenn...went to UT Planning School...did you check the planning school's website for jobs in Tenn?
Both of my planning jobs to date have been in Tennessee, actually; I'm from here, and, despite my best attempts, have yet to leave for very long. :)
Since you mentioned it, have you heard about the demise of UT's planning program?