• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Hi, Im new.

OfficialPlanner

Cyburbian
Hey everyone,

Im William from Toronto, Canada. Im currently a high school student and have a deep interest in urban planning and local issues.

A planner from another urban issues forum told me about this site.

Wow...a high school student. Most planners I know, myself included, didn't discover this field until their last years in college. You'll learn a lot from this site....just don't let the crazy planners scare you away. LOL :)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Welcome, OP. Good to see more Toronto people here on the board.

Are you planning on going to school for planning in the future?

GeekyBoy

Cyburbian
Hello and welcome William (OPer)

I am from Toronto as well, currently studying planning at Ryerson :)

GB

nerudite

Cyburbian
Hi OP...

That's awesome that you take such an interest in your community and its issues. I was also interested in planning when I was young... my mom was a geography major and worked for a planning and engineering consultant in Los Angeles, so I was kind of raised analysing the built environment. I was also into genetic engineering... but the hatred of math won out, and I became a planner.

There are a lot of great planning programs out in Ontario, so at least you live in a location conducive to your education.

Welcome to Cyburbia... and good luck with whatever occupation path you end up choosing. :)

OfficialPlanner

Cyburbian
Thanks everyone for the very warm welcome. It's good to see Geekyboy here, whom I meet in person and are members of another urban issues forum.

Tranplanner,

I'll be taking advantage of my high school Co-Op program next semister. I have chosen Urban Planning and with any luck I might get into City Hall. I figure this would be a excellent experience and will help me decide wether or not to study urban planning in the future.

nerudite,

It's nice to know others took an interest in city planning at a young age. When I was yonger I would always play Sim City, all my friends though it was a boring game :)