• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi, My name is Heidi... errrrr... Andreas

nerudite

Cyburbian
This is actually a sad story, and a little shocking. East Germany used so many steroids on Heidi (gold medalist for shot put) that she ended up getting a sex change operation. Turns out that thousands of athletes are now withering away...

I guess all those jokes about the East German women weren't too far off.

Here is what 'Heidi' looks like now...

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Yikes!
Quite shocking and sad indeed!
That's just wrong in so many levels... now this is why I just don't like competitive sports, because like it or not, things like this happen way too much. People sometimes get blinded with success and prizes, and end up doing whatever it takes to win. Very sad actually.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Sad? I don't know how this story could be sad. If you start to develop gonads and apples in your throat, wouldn't you think something was to blame (like the pills) and not all the bratworst? Next time I see the coaches who gave me acid so I could ace the 1998 Trivial Pursuit Championship, I'm suing!!8-!

Habanero

Cyburbian
was "hmmm, no, drugs are bad, mmmmkay" ever an option? When does one ever have to get a sex change?

Habanero said:
was "hmmm, no, drugs are bad, mmmmkay" ever an option?
I seriously doubt it was okay to 'just say no' as a sports star in a communist country during that era. They recruited kids as young as age five to begin training and it was about like 'winning the lottery': some of them had their own apartment as a mere teenager in countries where there was a waiting list to get an apartment.

Even if you COULD have turned down the pills, I am sure it would have come with dire consequences -- and that is assuming that a kid of 14 (the earliest age you can compete in the Olympics, last I heard) who had been recruited at age 5 would even know to ask anything about the pills they were being given. That would be about like a kid saying "Hey, mom, I am not so sure about these Flintstone vitamins you are feeding me. I would like to quit taking them post haste."

America has done similar things. They did drug experiments on soldiers during the Vietnam era, without telling them. I know a career bureaucrat that won't accept any 'free' flu shots and the like at the office because of that: this person has no trust in Uncle Sam with a syringe in his hand.

Michele Zone said:

America has done similar things. They did drug experiments on soldiers during the Vietnam era, without telling them. I know a career bureaucrat that won't accept any 'free' flu shots and the like at the office because of that: this person has no trust in Uncle Sam with a syringe in his hand.
They experimented on black men at Tuskegee by injecting them with syphillus.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
Damn straight, stay away from the flu shots. Its the retail industry's way to get you to spend, spend, spend! Why do you think they give them to you during the holiday shopping season. They only person I trust with a syringe is nobody.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Wow. Very sad. And to planderalla's point, when will humanity learn from its past mistakes.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Oh my.....donk pay attention. Stop feeding that crap to the chicks on your team now (at least the hot ones).

donk

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
Oh my.....donk pay attention. Stop feeding that crap to the chicks on your team now (at least the hot ones).
What hot ones? The only superficially good looking one is leslie tomlinson, the rest must have gotten into the east german's stash.

The best looking woman racer at Worlds was from luxemborg.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Rumpy Tuna said:
...Next time I see the coaches who gave me acid so I could ace the 1998 Trivial Pursuit Championship, I'm suing!!8-!
Dude, they screwed you.
Acid is for Pictionary!
Meth be for TP.
Opium is for Chess.
Weed is for R.P.S.

Planderella said:
They experimented on black men at Tuskegee by injecting them with syphillus.
Not only did they inject them, they did all they could to control what doctors these men could see in order to ensure that it remained untreated so that they could see if syphilis followed the same course in blacks as in whites -- part of that theory that blacks were fundamentally different (almost like a different species, in the minds of such racists) from white folks.

jordanb

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
I know a career bureaucrat that won't accept any 'free' flu shots and the like at the office because of that: this person has no trust in Uncle Sam with a syringe in his hand.
So he saw that Simpsons episode too, eh?