• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Hi There

Howard Roark

Cyburbian
Hi there!

Cruised around this site and others for a while, saw some intelligent conversation on this one and very civil compared to other urban discussion boards that look like sports forums.

I am an architect if you can’t tell by the handle, originally from St. Louis Mo, now getting my masters in urban design in the UK.

Glad this site exists, hope I can add something.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Hi H.R....

Welcome to the forums...

I was also thinking of going to the UK for planning school (Nottingham), but then the reality of funding set in. We have a lot of planners on the boards, so a architect/design guy will come in handy. Thanks for introducing yourself. :)

I think lots of planners have entertained the Nottingham dream. Welcome aboard! We do try to keep it nice and civil on the boards.

El Feo

Cyburbian
Howdy!

Glad you're here. This is a nice board - I've seen a pretty broad range of opinion expressed and while folks are passionate sometimes, they're always courteous.

So - architect, and (possible) Ayn Rand fan?

The Fountainhead was a good book, but combined with Atlas Shrugged it ruined me for awhile. My self-expectations got too damned high, and I learned I'm no Objectivist.

Welcome!

Howard Roark

Cyburbian
Thanks for the welcome!

I looked at Nottingham when deciding on a school. I understand that their planning dept. was excellent, the urban design course was run almost entirely out of architecture though, and I wanted a course that had exposure to planning, that is rarer than you think in UK schools.

No not necessarily "an Ayn Rand fan" (say that 5 times fast)found "The Fountainhead" ok, a bit self-indulgent. I did enjoy "Anthem" though (helps to be a Rush fan, 2112 an all), but her image of the architect as the "heroic" egotist of Howard Roark was a joke amongst my friends in undergrad.

Howie