• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! Hi

DArchitect

Hi everyone, first time visit, um, I'm not sure what to say at this point but I'm an aspiring architect slash planner, I'm gonna be taking an architecture class at U of Md for the Young Scholars Program in a little over a week and I'm psyched . . . I like New Urbanism but try to see the good things in the suburbs, and my biggest pet peeve is when people see something like a zero-lot house and freak out because everyone else should live on a five-acre estate like they do. Save us, Jebus!!!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Welcome to cyburbia. Good luck with the summer program - sounds like a good experience.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Welcome.

Funny, but I was reading an article in the Chicago Tribune about residents in northern Lake County (rural fringe) complaining about the density of a proposed new development. This would be an 18-hole private golf course with 600 townhomes and detached homes on 670 acres. Since when is less than one home per acre considered dense? Perhaps it is these people who are dense.

Runner

Cyburbian
Welcome aboard!

Michael Stumpf said:
Since when is less than one home per acre considered dense? Perhaps it is these people who are dense.
:) Now don't get me started Michael...

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome from a planner in the DC area! U of Md im told has a good planning program so good pick. Enjoy DC

PG

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:
Since when is less than one home per acre considered dense? Perhaps it is these people who are dense.
Here, we have about 20,000 per residential mile. I wonder what they would think of that?

Oh and welcome, enjoy, share, oh and have fun.