• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

High chimneys

cnyOntario

Parts of the Midwest have a distinct housing feature. High chimneys which rise above the roof in single family homes and townhouses.

Is this an architectural detail for aesthetic reasons, or is there a practical reason for this? I don't see this housing feature in new subdivisions in the Syracuse area.

here is an example:

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I think the building code requires chimineys to be at least 2-feet higher than the nearest point within a 10-foot radius?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
From: the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's Residential Rehabilitation Inspection Guide
http://www.hud-inspections.com/Chimney/ChimneyHeight.html

Chimneys must extend at least 2 feet higher than any portion of the roof or any structure within 10 feet, but must be not less than 3 feet above the point where the chimney passes through the roof.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
As I was told several years ago, you want the outlet to your chimney above anything else mainly to prevent downdrafts that could force smoke (and CO2) back into the house. I won't guarantee the validity of this comment, but it seems to make sense to me.

boiker

Cyburbian
take a look at most old homes that haven't had their chimney's chopped off or replaced.

They are often very tall. My guess is with coal and wood fuel, build the chimney tall, all the pollutants are over your head. Also, any potential cinders would cool enough before ejecting.

UpstateNYRox

Cyburbian
bizzo34> Do you have any pics of the new housing in Syracuse that you talk about without the high chimneys?

cnyOntario

That was my point. New housing in the Syracuse area do not have visible tall chimneys. Almost all new housing in the Midwest do.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
bizzo34 said:
That was my point. New housing in the Syracuse area do not have visible tall chimneys. Almost all new housing in the Midwest do.
Now I understand. I am not so sure I would agree with you. Most of the new housing we see here is like what you posted in the second photo. The cost of construction is reduced by not having a traditional chimney. The exceptions seem to be on more espensive housing. Your second photo could very easily be a subdivision in my community, although it would have sidewalks and terrace trees.