• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

"High-class" low class housing

boiker

Cyburbian
Example from my recent trip to suthr'n illinois.

2-story mobile home...one of many that were seen.

I know there is a thread that builds upon this with mobiles on stilts and other strange arrangements, but I couldn't find it.

Attachments

Hceux

Cyburbian
Hey, this thread got me thinking about something. Are trailer parks that common across the USA or even Canada?

Personally, I can only think of one place between Trenton, Ontario, and Belleville, Ontario, where there is an actual large plot of land that's designated only for trailer homes. It's called Kenron Estates, located on Hwy 2. There got to be thousands of them (that's a pepper-shake of exaggeration there) in that small area. Strangely, those who live there really take their homes and the Kenron Estates seriously, something that I can't even do.

Back to this photo - Ha! That's a hoot, I'd love to see the old threads of similar topics/photos.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Has anyone got a copy of the photo commonly entitled "Redneck Highrise", which shows a mobile home on 30' stilts? I'll do a little searching for it.

donk

Cyburbian
On a serious notes, and coming from the trailer capital of canada, it is very common to see trailers (actually 'mini homes') on foundations and then have additions attached to them over time. then again, I've also provided the image of a trailer for sale for $600 that housed a man and his daughter and was powered off a car battery.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Boiker said:
my recent trip to suthr'n illinois.
Q. Where did you visit?

Hceux said:
Hey, this thread got me thinking about something. Are trailer parks that common across the USA ?
We have them in SW Indiana, but not easily put in place:
We require a Special Use Permit, then
State Health Department permit.

Last edited:

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
In my former life, in a coastal west FL county, they were everywhere. There are trailer parks all over Florida with thousands of trailers in each one. In my current county, much more urbanized, they are much more stringently regulated, and virtually non-existent.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Trailers are very common. I remember seeing more than a few trailer parks in Southern British Columbia (although they were very tidy being in Canada and all ;-) ) and even a couple while on the road between Paris and Lyon in France. They are so common place that in my home state of South Carolina they make up nearly 16% of the total housing stock... the highest percentage in the US. And to make things better there are very few, if any, land use controls over them.

Additionaly, it's not that unusual to see mobile homes on stilts or even with a full, partialy above ground basement complete with a garage door here in Pennsylvania. The steep and hilly topography here almost forces mobile home owners to go through the extra effort and expence to underpin their homes.

boiker

Cyburbian
JNA said:
Q. Where did you visit?

We have them in SW Indiana, but not easily put in place:
We require a Special Use Permit, then
State Health Department permit.
SW Illinois, Jersey County NE of St. Louis. I attended a state historic preservation conference at a state park.

Jaxspra

Cyburbian
A handful of trailer parks still around in this area. We have a zoning district where they are permitted and if by some crazy chance one decides to move the are gets rezoned to single-family...in my 4 years here I have only seen one cleared out.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
The only thing missing from that picture would have to be a front gate made out of old Ford Truck grills. ;)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Not many mobile homes around here. What we do have, though, are old vacation cottages -- most built in the 1910s and 1920s -- that were winterized after WWII and converted to year round residences. Additions are often haphazard; different materials, colors, roof pitches and shingles, and often architectural styles. A few have gaudy nautical themes; 30' tall lighthouses, gangways and so on.