• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

High School Reunion

RedsFan

BANNED
I have a high school reunion (10 year) coming up this year, and I want to see how the Cyburbia bunch approached (or will approach) their hs reunions. My graduating class was only around 100 people, and I’ll be honest with you- I was a dork. There, I said it. :)

I’m a little leery of going to the reunion. If any of you had a reunion did you find that people were basically the same? Were the a**holes still a**holes and were old wounds exploited? I’m a big boy now who can take care of himself, and a part of me says I should go to the reunion and not be wuss. But another part of me says why bother- I didn’t like many of them back then so why would I waste my time on them now. Any thoughts? Feel free to add humorous reunion stories, and I hope this hasn’t been covered in a previous thread. Thanks.

SGB

Cyburbian
I had many of the same reservations about my 10th reunion, but was pleasantly surprised how much most of the a@@ho@@@ had matured. It ended up being a fun time.

I recommend going.

kms

Cyburbian
I went to my 10 year reunion - more than 10 years ago. I was surprised at how many were kind of stuck in their hs glory. Many of the "in" crowd were still single and partying, and bragging about it. They didn't seem as though they matured or grew. One guy, who was a good friend to me from 7th - 12th grade said hi to me, and asked me if was married. When I told him yes, he blew me off because I wasn't available. A lot of the girls who always had dates in hs didn't have husbands, and let me know that they were looking for husbands.

It's up to you about whether to go or not. Are you curious about anyone, or is there someone you really want to see? The way I see it, you'd (or I) would keep in touch with any who really mattered, and a reunion won't make a difference.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
I had mine in 2001, and felt real weird about going. I had a graduating class about 100 people also, and most everyone had known everyone else since grade school if not before. I was very shy, naive, and introverted during high school, and I am almost a lot different now. But, when I got the invite it was almost like I reverted back - got all nervous, shy, etc.

So I decided to go, and was quite anxious about it. But in the end, I am so glad I went. I got over my issues right away, and everyone was awesome and very friendly. Of course, the few people that I absolutely did NOT like from HS weren't there, so that probably helped ;)

My advice - definately go!!

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Yeah, go, the real A-holes usually won't show up because their lives suck in the real world. and trust me, the dorks will be making the most money....

el Guapo

Capitalist
Not something I'd really ever care to revisit. No strong emotions either way. However, I'd love to see some old teachers and say thanks, but that would be the only reason to go.

I'd love to get together with my old Gulf War Army unit.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Funny topic...

I'm the Class Trustee for my graduating class, so I get to arrange the reuinions and stuff. I have to do the 10 year one this year. FUnny thing is, I could care less about it. I'm involved with the school and the alumni association for my future sons, and for no other reason. I haven't maintained any friendships with anyone from HS, and don't really care to see any of them.

Really, what do you say to someone you haven't seen in 10 years? I'm a completely different person now, and the people I was friends with then, probably wouldn't be my frineds now.

ecofem

Cyburbian
I attended my 10th high school reunion. A friend of mine (from high school) and myself stayed for two drinks and bailed. It was lame. The folks I might have wanted to see didn't show up. Most of the folks that attended I didn't even recognize. Very weird. Waste of money. (For a point of reference - my high school class was about 800 students)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
My ten year reunion would have been 2 years ago I guess. Never heard about it, didn't even think about it. Not sure if there even was one.

If I had known about it, I think I would have gone. I didn't keep in touch with anyone from high school after I left though.

donk

Cyburbian
Similar to tranplanner, my 10 year HS reunion should have been last year, don't know if there was one and I know the people I would have wanted to see would not have gone.

Maybe this is an American thing?

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Mine was apparantly last year but I never heard about it. I was a pretty "invisible" kid who no one would remember. My guess is that the cliquey kids were mostly there - they probably started playing basketball in the gym within a half hour.

My old friends probably didn't go. The real geeks - who didn't realize they were geeks - probably did go.

Reds Fan - Don't think you'd be a wuss for not going to hang out with people you never liked to begin with.

Go Purple! Classical High 4-eva!

I went to mine 3 yrs ago. At first I was hesitant as I could've cared less about who was going to be there (some of you know that I went to an all girls Catholic school). I already see and keep in touch on a regular basis those girls that I formed friendships with in high school. However, I'm glad I did eventually go as it was apparent that many grew out of the cliquish mentality that plagued my school during my 4 yrs there.

jmf

Cyburbian
I went to a VERY small school, only 21 graduates my year. We don't have 10 year reunions but every year at Christmas there is a wine and cheese party at the school and whoever is around goes. Its nice cause who hung around with just people in their own year? I had good friends a couple years ahead and behind me so I get to see them too.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I actually have my 10 year reunion this summer, too. I bumped into some classmates when I was Christmas shopping near my parents' house in Maine and everyone seemed really cool -- even the people who used to really get onto my nerves. I think I'm going to go to this reunion at least.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I've heard talk of someone organizing a class of '95 reunion in a couple of years but it seems pointless to me. There were only 37 in my graduating class and most never left after high school so it's not like they never see each other. I may go since I'm living out of state and don't often get to see most of my closest high school friends. I wonder where we'll have the reunion? With 37 of us, I'm guessing in someones single-wide.

Last edited:

plannerkat

Cyburbian
I bailed on my 10 year last year. They wanted $70/person for a shindig at a beach hotel. And it was a cash bar. For $70 I want at least 2 drinks! I couldn't justify it since I don't really even keep in touch with anyone from my class.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
My 10th was cancelled due to an approaching hurricane, so we had to wait for 20. Since it was a small class (68) it was combined with the year ahead and the year behind us. I was an incredibly shy dork in h.s., but my best friend from then (still my best friend) dragged me along so she could try to hit on the class hunk. I had a nice time visiting with the other dorks, and my friend got to go home with the hunk. Only one cheerleader showed up; she was just as snippy as she was then, but looked like hell (hehehehehe...).

Overall, I'm glad I went.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I was pretty excited about mine but there was a small part of me that thought about skipping it. I decided to go and I had a great time. I got to see a lot of people that I hung out with but lost touch. It was cool to see that most of the people that I knew turned out pretty well I really think that some people were shocked that despite the fact that most of us were in the punk-alternative-skater crowd, we all had college degrees, normal lives, and good jobs.

I did find that after the drinks were flowin' people began to intermingle outside their group of friends a bit more.

Most of the a-holes didn't even show up and those who did were fine. From what I understood there was an a-hole wedding that same night and many of them went to that instead.

People really forget about petty rivalries and arguments after 10 years.

Floridays

Cyburbian
Oh wow Ido feel OLD!!! My 20th reunion is coming up in June! I still haven't decided if I'm going, but I would definitely recommend attending your 10 year. Especially the first night, when everyone usually parties a little bit (OK, a lot!) and the "ice" is broken pretty easily. This is "evil" but I enjoyed seeing that a lot of the snooty cheerleader types had really put on the pounds....:)

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Floridays said:
Oh wow Ido feel OLD!!! My 20th reunion is coming up in June!
Hey now, my 25th was in 2000....im going on 30years out of HS

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
My 10th was last fall, but I was out of state. I would have liked to go, but there are only so many people I really know in my graduating class of 410. :)

Habanero

Cyburbian
I'm about to make everyone feel OLD!!

My 10 year reunion will be in 2007- I still have 4 years left. :) Bwhahahahahahaha. Sorry, that just tickles me.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Re: I'm about to make everyone feel OLD!!

TexasPlanner said:
My 10 year reunion will be in 2007- I still have 4 years left. :) Bwhahahahahahaha. Sorry, that just tickles me.
Thanks a lot Ash....that'll be the year of my 10 year COLLEGE (5 year professional degree...otherwise I'd have graduated BSU in 1996) reunion! :p

Cardinal

Cyburbian
OMG! My 20th will be in a couple years! No, I won't be going. There were almost 800 people in my graduating class. I probably knew 20 of them at all well, and have kept in touch with only one. On the positive side, I have done better than most, and still have all of my hair.

Runner

Cyburbian
I've missed all 22 of my HS reunions. I left Massachusetts as soon as I graduated and never looked back!

Jen

Cyburbian
Floridays said:
Oh wow Ido feel OLD!!! My 20th reunion is coming up in June! I still haven't decided if I'm going, but I would definitely recommend attending your 10 year. Especially the first night, when everyone usually parties a little bit (OK, a lot!) and the "ice" is broken pretty easily. This is "evil" but I enjoyed seeing that a lot of the snooty cheerleader types had really put on the pounds....:)
Are you a Broward County HS graduate? What school?

Hey all my 20th passed in 2000. McArthur HS in Hollywood a graduating class of hundreds. I went solo left the kids and hubber at home. Stayed with an old friend who i havent seen in over fifteen years. Loved everyminite of it. It was very strange. I was just glad to be alive among people from my youth. Some were fabulously rich, some unrecognizable, definite cosmetic enhancements on others. I felt genuine warmth yes even love from unexpected people and also saw much coldness and snobbiness. Was stood up by an old best friend i am sure she is pyscho now or my earnest emails scared the heck out of her.

Was one moment in the banquet hall, when I thought the career army dude (the #1 head case in school) was gonna pull out his weapon and seek revenge. but he was led away gently, and The BeeGees came on and the night flowed on...actulally i spent lots of the time with the smokers outside, i dont smoke, but too much disco inside. So ended up chatting to lots of people and catching up...and enjoying the muggy july florida weather!

At the next day picnic saw Lots of mini vans and blended families... It was good to go home - i do miss my old friends.

we had a good turnout but it was white folks only, our school at that time was about 80% white..

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I think I mentioned part this before. My 5-year was a riot. Every one was moving ahead in life (except for the slut that had twins in 11th grade), and all of the a-holes were cool. There was this chick there that was totally hot - like Jamie Lee Curtis in True Lies hot - and I was like, "Damn who's girlfriend is that?" Turns out it was the ugly anorexic class mate with the underbite and coke bottle glasses. Yeah, she had work done.

We didn't have a 10 year. The class prez. never organized it. But I was in Drama Club (go figure) and my HS completed an expansion and built a new theatre, where previously we were on a crappy stage in the cafeteria. So here it is 10 years after I graduated and they invited back everyone that ever acted on that old stage for the final production. At the end, we all signed a piece of the stage and they cut it out and hung it in the lobby of the new theatre. They had a great little reception at a local bar. I consider that to be my 10 year reunion, since those are the people I really wanted to see anyway.

Back to the class of '86. We had a 14 year reunion to make up for the lack of a 10 year. It was lame. Everyone was bald, divorced, and in some cases, grandparents. I won't be going to the 20th.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Jen said:
we had a good turnout but it was white folks only, our school at that time was about 80% white..
Mine was more than 99.9 white. We had one balck man in our graduating class, no hispanics, 1 asian. I would like to say color didnt matter in our class, since the black guy was prom king (and OT - later appeared on Jenny Jones).

donk

Cyburbian
The number of visible minorities at my high school could be counted on two hands, and this was a school of 2000. The funniest part of this lack of minorities were melvin and sheldon bernstein, the black jamaican twins. (honest)

The city I now live in has 175 people classified as visible minorities in a population of about 19 000.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
By the time I graduated, I was a member of the visible minority at my high school. Big shift from gino/whitebread to carribean/asian during my 5 years there.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
My high school was relatively diverse, for a suburb. We had a large asian and hispanic population, though still not more than 10-15% of the total. It is quite a bit more now. My first- through eigth-grade school was not at all diverse. We never had more than 5% of any class non-white, and I think there was only one black student in the roughly thirty years the school was open.

NHPlanner

Staff member
bturk said:

Mine was more than 99.9 white. We had one balck man in our graduating class, no hispanics, 1 asian. I would like to say color didnt matter in our class, since the black guy was prom king (and OT - later appeared on Jenny Jones).
In my class of 410, there were 2 black guys, and 2 Asians. NH is not the most diverse state....

I was one of six blacks out of 214 (Class of 1990). My high school had a total of approximately 900 girls and maybe 35 were black. I'm not sure about the other minorities like asians and hispanics.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Yes NH and Planderella, but how many made it on to Scum TV? ;)

I also just got the invite for our 10 year reunion this summer - small school - graduated about 75. I'm so torn. It's organizaed by my two biggest highschool nemeses, and these girls were evil incarnate. i still haven't decided. my childhood best friend wants to go if he's done hiking the continental divide by then, but i don't know. its actually triggered a lot of introspection for me - in general, i'm pretty happy with my life. but at the same time, this has been a really hard year for me and how i feel about myself. if it had been two years ago, i'd probably go, but i'm just not up for being judged right now. besides, i pretty much know where everyone is and what they're doing anyway.

sigh.

oh, and we had one black family in town - the oldest son was in my grade, and i don't think he was prom king, but i'm sure he was on the court.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
KMateja said:
my childhood best friend wants to go if he's done hiking the continental divide by then, but i don't know.
Is it just me or do we all have a friend that lives this kind of care-free existence? Makes you want to punch them, doesn't it?

bturk said:

Is it just me or do we all have a friend that lives this kind of care-free existence? Makes you want to punch them, doesn't it?
you don't even know the half of it..... he's a landscaper, worked in the Hamptons for a while, then moved out to S.F., CA, made a crap load of $$, bought a house for nothing, renovated it, sold it, made a crap load, moved back to syracuse, ny, bought a house for nothing ( i think they paid cash) and now he and his wife spend their week going to auctions, buying junk and taking it to the regional flea market and selling it on the weekends. (although i bought the cutest ice cream dishes off them the other weekend!) After the Continental Divide, he's doing the pacific coast trail, making him one of like 20 living people who've done the big three (he did the AT 4 years ago).

donk

Cyburbian
I have a similar friend, we call him the professional 19 year old. He had all of his bicycles stolen (value $15 000) took the insurance money, bought a dirt bike, races it now, then bought back the reclaimed bikes from the police department for $500.

He is also dating a 23 year old, while he is 32.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Went to my 5th: still feeling inadequate, it was boring as all get out. Skipped my 10th, because the invitation clearly stated "children welcome" when we had none. We are having one this May, and I am looking forward to it now that I have out-grown all the inferiorities (I think).

My club here hosts a few reunions. What we notice is the parking lot is full of premium vehicles (pick-ups and SUVs--it's Kansas). I learned that most all were borrowed or rented for the "show".

Jen

Cyburbian
Funny, i went and rented a new beetle for my reunion! Though i declined the insurance and proceeded to run over a truck tire scrap on i-95 and ripped out the spoiler, uh oh. Duct tape and elbow grease mended the damage and when I returned the car i prayed they wouldnt notice (they didn't)

We bought our real new Beetle that fall.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Jen said:
Funny, i went and rented a new beetle for my reunion!
HA! Mike and Jen! It's not just me. I was a bit materialistic at my 14th, showing up in my Rover and parking next the the ex-girlfriends Hyundai....

One dork showed up in a Jag, and after a few drinks confessed it was rented.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Jen said:

Hey all my 20th passed in 2000. McArthur HS in Hollywood a graduating class of hundreds.
I would've graduated from Coconut Creek HS is Coconut Creek, had it not been for the move to Texas, where I ended up graduating from Bryan High- blech!

Jen

Cyburbian
Oh yeah just up the highway a bit, South Florida is so different now, I was last there in 2000, never went by the old homestead never even made it east of University Dr and all of the 12 lane intersections in what used to be canal lined two ways just disoriented me big time!

Floridays

Cyburbian
No, I'm not from South FL, have only been here since May of last year.

Hey all my 20th passed in 2000. McArthur HS in Hollywood a graduating class of hundreds. I went solo left the kids and hubber at home. Stayed with an old friend who i havent seen in over fifteen years. Loved everyminite of it. It was very strange. I was just glad to be alive among people from my youth. Some were fabulously rich, some unrecognizable, definite cosmetic enhancements on others. I felt genuine warmth yes even love from unexpected people and also saw much coldness and snobbiness. Was stood up by an old best friend i am sure she is pyscho now or my earnest emails scared the heck out of her.

Was one moment in the banquet hall, when I thought the career army dude (the #1 head case in school) was gonna pull out his weapon and seek revenge. but he was led away gently, and The BeeGees came on and the night flowed on...actulally i spent lots of the time with the smokers outside, i dont smoke, but too much disco inside. So ended up chatting to lots of people and catching up...and enjoying the muggy july florida weather!

At the next day picnic saw Lots of mini vans and blended families... It was good to go home - i do miss my old friends.

we had a good turnout but it was white folks only, our school at that time was about 80% white.. [/B]

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
As many may know, or if you don't know you will now, I have just gone out of school, and now I starting my first year of Architecture :D . So I guess my 10 year reunion will be in about... hmm... 10 years! :p

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
It was a very strange experience going to my 10 year reunion. I went to mine with one of my best childhood friends who was popular while I was just one of the people there. I thought it was laughable in many ways because while the popular people acknowledged her when we walked in together while they merely looked at me like I had five heads. Good to see that some people never grow up. Other than that, it was nice to see a number of my high school friends and find out who really did turn out to be successes and who did not.

I would not recommend bringing a spouse or a date because unless they know someone there, they are completely bored to tears. Oh yeah, I found trying to explain what being a planner is to some of the "slower" people a little tedious because they just didn't seem to understand why and what we do. But then again, they really never understood anything. So go and have fun. At least you will get a laugh or two out of it.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Hum Trail you bring up something I had not tought of-would folks in BFE Alabama even know what urban planning is? Most of my former class mates have gone to work at the local manufactoring sector (that which it is) . Not to say there is anything wrong with the way of life there but Im not sure they could relate to my life now, heck I went to high school with folks that had never left the county they were born in and its not much to write home about.

A sadistic bitchy side of me wants to goback and say "HA! look at me i was the one that was the outsider and no one thought would amount to much"

sorry bad flash back there ;-)