• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

High School Reunion

biscuit

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
Hum Trail you bring up something I had not tought of-would folks in BFE Alabama even know what urban planning is? Most of my former class mates have gone to work at the local manufactoring sector (that which it is) . Not to say there is anything wrong with the way of life there but Im not sure they could relate to my life now, heck I went to high school with folks that had never left the county they were born in and its not much to write home about.

A sadistic bitchy side of me wants to goback and say "HA! look at me i was the one that was the outsider and no one thought would amount to much"

sorry bad flash back there ;-)

No there's a good chance that most of them will have no idea what an urban planner is or does. Most of the responses I've gotten from people I went to HS with have been, "So you're an architect!." I used to say "No" and would attempt to explain what it is that I do but that became such a hassle, espesially with the types that never left the county, that I just say "Yeah. I'm like an architect."

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I went to my 10th AND my 20th reunions. I attended a small school, so I knew my classmates pretty well (my graduating class was ~20 people). We didn't really have any of the typical high school stereotypes. It was fun seeing how everyone turned out.

Jen

Cyburbian
No there's a good chance that most of them will have no idea what an urban planner is or does. Most of the responses I've gotten from people I went to HS with have been, "So you're an architect!." I used to say "No" and would attempt to explain what it is that I do but that became such a hassle, espesially with the types that never left the county, that I just say "Yeah. I'm like an architect."

That's funny! A similar thing always happens to my husband, he's an Industrial Designer, and once we met a young guy (who later became a good friend) who wanted to know what Doug did- so instead of trying to explain it he said "Im an engineer" as that is what other folks seem to think that is what the discipline is about. So in reply our new friend says "that's too bad, I'm studying industrial design"

I'm going to school for an Masters in Public Admin, it's puzzling when people I meet ask "so are you gonna run for political office when you graduate?"