• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

High School Size Criteria

I am trying to determine a source for high school size criteria for 1200 - 1500 students and the popualtion necessary to support a such a high school.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Gwalters said:
I am trying to determine a source for high school size criteria for 1200 - 1500 students and the popualtion necessary to support a such a high school.

Ummmm...more info will definitely be needed. Are you asking for the size of the structure or the amount of land needed? Are we talking a school district that busses (need extra parking on or off-site for the dozens of busses)? You didn't give us too much to go on here.

nerudite said:
Ummmm...more info will definitely be needed. Are you asking for the size of the structure or the amount of land needed? Are we talking a school district that busses (need extra parking on or off-site for the dozens of busses)? You didn't give us too much to go on here.

Size of structure. Amount of land needed. I am not designing the school, rather creating a site for one in a new community master plan. I was hoping that there was some basic rules out there that would tell me tht based on 1200-1500 students, the building would be X sq. ft. and that it would generally fit on a X size site when you factor in typical conditions. It sounds like from your reply that it gets pretty specific based on the district.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
It can get very specific. Do 14 year olds drive, as they do here? Will there be shared or individual athletic fields? Your school district probably already has a Facilities Plan...try to get a copy. Ask the district what they want first.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I agree with Gurnee. If the school district has a facilities plan or at least a needs analysis complete, you'll have alot to go on. Absent of that, llok at comparables and add 30-40% more land. They arent making more of it [land, that is], and needs change of time. The site should have a suitable land bank for needs well into the future.