• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Careers Hints in interview

Hawk16

I had an interview with planning manager about 10 days ago. He told me that the City will support me if I want to have some continuous education. Do you guys think it is some kind of hint that he would like me to join the planning team? My anxiety grows more and more with time goes by and no final decision back from the City. How long is normal recruitment process to make a final decision after a second round interview? Thank you guys!

DVD

Cyburbian
With interviews you really just had to be there. You read the body language and the way they said it. Were they encouraging or just a random comment? Sadly the time after interviews is a whole circus in itself. If they're in a rush you'll know within a day or two. For my city it takes about a week to get HR to write up the official offer. I've had some places that never called back. When I called them it was just, oh we stopped hiring for that position, budget reasons. Either way, good luck!

Hawk16

Thank you! He pointed this out at the last of the interview based on my personal education experience. Anyway, keep finger crossed!

nrschmid

Cyburbian
Supporting continuous education is a standard perk at most employers if you are joining as a credentialed worker. The organization knows there is a cost to maintaining that credential. I gave up a long time ago trying to interpret interviews. The only guarantee is a letter of offer in writing. A good interview is just that, a good interview.