• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Hip-Hop marketing

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
El Guapo wrote in http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1046 :

Speaking of: Is there anyone out there that doesn't think McDonald’s and Burger King’s commercials targeting blacks are anything but the most stereotypical "hip hop" embarrassing crap? If I was black I think I'd be raising hell - those commercials are insulting and play upon some and maybe even reinforce some bad stereotypes.
I wonder what TV commercials in South Africa are like. Their white population is in the minority, but they still posess the vast bulk of that nation's wealth. If black South Africans were writing the commercials, would they use classical music and pretentious narration, in a stereotypical appeal to their white audience?

Yeah, I've seen the BK commercials -- always old school East Coast style rap (a bit less threatening than West Coast), blacks jumping and dancing behind the counter and jumping around the store, and so on. I'm sorry -- I've been to tons of black-owned, primarily black-patronized restaurants, and although there's a bit more friendly interaction between customers and staff, nobody's rappin' or jumping around. I've seen the occasional black woman "step" while they're waiting in line at a fast food joint, but that's about it.

What would be an interesting study is comparing commercials aimed at the Hispanic market in the U.S., versus those in Mexico. On Mexican TV, every commercial included the words "todo la familia" or "para la familia" - it became something of an inside joke among my friends when I lived in New Mexico. "Bacardi -- para la familia." Do commercials aimed at Hispanics in the US use the same "la familia" marketing theme, or do they depict lowriders, chollo wear and stereotypical fiestas? Me thinks the former.

petrushka

Cyburbian
Ignorance is bliss

I learned a very long time ago that the messeges coming across from advertisers on both the television and the radio are questionable at best, and sleazy at worst. It is difficult enough existing in this country with the majority of the population believing you to be inferior. Imagine the pain and humiliation caused when corporations adopt and expand those beliefs. I suppose I am luck to have been brought up in a college town where everyone was just themselves, and tried (in some fashion or another) not to be targeted as this or that-- well some of my classmates and companions anyway. Every now and then, I feel the almost overwhelming need to speak up, but then I stop and think, "this is America, where money rules, and rights are rescended. I would be wasting my breath."

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Re: Ignorance is bliss

petrushka wrote:
I learned a very long time ago that the messeges coming across from advertisers on both the television and the radio are questionable at best, and sleazy at worst.
Personally, I don't have too much of problem with advertising, if it is used to get the word out regarding a new product or service. Invasive advertising really hacks me off, though -- billboards, obnoxious business signage, telemarketing, movie theaters, and pop-up ads online among them.

Boycotts are being discussed in another thread. Personally, I find that excessive advertising is a turn-off when it comes to my choice of a product as a consumer. I don't want to give in to marketing pressure, and if there is more ads, I rend to resist even more. Low-key, matter-of-fact ads, with a bit of humor, typically work best for me.

I have to say, commercials in the movie theater piss me off like almost nothing else. First they charge you an insane amount of money to get in - I don't even want to talk about concession stands, then with all the product placement in the movie itself. GRRRRRR.... The commercials make me crazy. However, I LOVE previews. So usually by the time we get through the fifth preview, I'm in such a state of bliss, I've forgotten all about that retarded Coke commercial.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
In all fairness, let's give McDonald's some benefit of the doubt.

Their most recent ad campaign for their new chicken strips features the 1997 hit "Wanna Be" by the Spice Girls. So, if you are British and got the Grrrl Power groove, rush right on over to your neighborhood McDonald's and tell them:

"Yo, tell me what you want, what you really really want... I wanna, I wanna... Zig-A-Zig-A-Zig-AHHHH!"

I always thought that song was a less than oblique reference to sex, not about the desire to eat chicken.

But seriously, if you want to understand more about the cultural origins of white America's knack for exploiting black culture, you should see Bamboozled, the controversial film by Spike Lee about blackface and the modern day entertainment industry.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0215545