Hitch Hike to all 50 state capitals in 50 days?

Do you think that you could see all 50 capitals in fifty days without your car? These guys think that they can do it by hitch hiking from place to place... Even Alaska and Hawaii!

http://www.hitch50.com/

As dangerous as hitchhiking can be, is this the best message to send to the youth of America? Yea, see the world, just stick out your thumb.

I think that it will be interesting to see if they can do it.

What do you think? Will they make it?

Last edited:
No, AK and HI will be the outliers that could kill this, Maine and Michigan are also problematic in that they are remote. Thank goodness Tallahasee is in the Panhandle or that would be a bear too.

Even a places like Dover, DE or Bismark, ND could be difficult, what kind of traffic goes to these cities? (at least Bismark is on I-94; but I've been on the part of I-94 and there is not much traffic)

cch

Cyburbian
Looks interesting, but what the heck do these guys do that allows them the time to try this, and the funds to award free airfare to a randomly selected ride-giver. I think they'll be able to do it, only because they are solicitating the rides on the internet. But if they were going it alone, and nobody knew who they were, I'd say their chance would be slim to none.

The thing that will save them is the North East. You can hit most of those in just a few days. (Unless you’re in traffic).

Nice part is they can sleep while on the road, take a pic once they get to there destination, and it’s off to the next star on the map. Alaska will have to be an air plane (if they want to get there on time) I think that some airline will research these guys and if they get close to their goal, that airline will front them a ticket knowing that it will get posted all over the place, make the news, and be on a billion bogs. (Almost Free Advertising Baby!)

I am fascinated with the Tech aspect of it. They are going to use a nextel phone’s GPS sender to java into Google maps. That part alone will be cool. (and would provide for quite a bit of safety)

wahday

Cyburbian
I seriously doubt they will make it in 50 days - but it sure sounds fun anyway!

I have long been fascinated with trying to get someone to pay me to travel the country. There are projects that have managed to do this: from the traveling gallery that came to our space a few months back (a tricked out airstream trailer converted to a beautiful mobile gallery) to a traveling American Stories oral history initiative. Some day...

When I lived in Uganda there was a bicycling group of American Doctors doing a project where they rode from Tunis to Cape Town in 3 months, raising cultural awareness and investigating health issues along the way. They would pick up local African riders for certain stretches and a friend of mine joined them in Uganda until Tanzania. A cool project that tied in with school curricula and the like - participating schools had a map and every day they would record an audio log accessible by phone or online. They had also biked across Russia and Canada in recent years.

kjel

Super Moderator
I think it's an interesting take on an old thing. Obviously if they were going it alone sans publicity, website, gps, etc they would have a snowball's chance in hell. Somehow I think they have some sort of financial backing and they aren't ruling out any mode of transportation so I think they may have a reasonable chance of reaching their goals. The pisser in my opinion is going to be Hawaii, unless an airline or air freight agrees to carry them or someone gives them free miles or something.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I think they'll do it. This is not just two guys hitchhiking, but it is two guys hitchhiking with incentives. The first being the website and the second is their golden ticket... where anyone who helps them will get a chance at free air fare to where every the last capital is?

kjel

Super Moderator
I think they'll do it. This is not just two guys hitchhiking, but it is two guys hitchhiking with incentives. The first being the website and the second is their golden ticket... where anyone who helps them will get a chance at free air fare to where every the last capital is?
In that case the last capital should be in Hawaii!

bud

Cyburbian
@ 300/day?

Before 911, I was averaging 300 miles a day; but, two or three years ago when it was less than 200 miles per day I quit that rather arduous but more interesting method of travel and started riding the bus. In 50 days one could go 15000 miles at that rate, couldn’t one? I only travel three times a year now - for 1000 miles each way, so I am out of practice. I traveled the contiguous 48 States and parts of Canada and Mexico in the early 80's.

State capitals are often pretty boring little cities in culturally isolated but geographically central locations. I'd definitely opt for the "biggest city in each state" hitchhike before I'd do state capitals. Although there are some nice ones...

Hope so... because a paid trip to Lincoln Nebraska would suck.
Hey! I resemble that remark!!

No, AK and HI will be the outliers that could kill this, Maine and Michigan are also problematic in that they are remote. Thank goodness Tallahasee is in the Panhandle or that would be a bear too.

Even a places like Dover, DE or Bismark, ND could be difficult, what kind of traffic goes to these cities? (at least Bismark is on I-94; but I've been on the part of I-94 and there is not much traffic)
Dover is within a couple of hours from Annapolis, MD via US 301 and US 13. Depending on time of day, they could do Richmond, Annapolis, Dover, Trenton and Albany in one day.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far, they have done 38 states (Including Alaska) in 35 days. With WI down, they still have to hit up MI, IL, and IN… If they are good, all three of these can be done in a day.

They passed through Helena the other day and got their story and faces on today's Independent Record edition. They spent four hours trying to catch a ride with no success, got cold but luckily the Walmart was nearby, where they bought long underwear (you would think Canadians would have long johns). After a night in a cheap motel they headed out.

Looks like they are going to make it!

They have until midnight tonight to get from LA to Honolulu. From the looks of the GPS, they shut their phone off, in a place where an airplane should be!

Well, we can conclude that it IS possible to hitchhike to all 50 state capitals in 50 days. I hope that these guys write a book about their adventures. I am sure that they heard a lot of stories over the past two months.