• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Hmmmm ... no planning.org registrants

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I did a search through the database of registered Cyburbia users. There's nobody that's signed up with a *@planning.org address. Explanations, anyone?

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
You're suprised?

National just doesn't get it...if it doesn't have their imprint on it, they don't seem to use it.

I would not be suprised though if some of the APA staff are lurking with other e-mail addresses...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Re: You're suprised?

NHPlanner said:
I would not be suprised though if some of the APA staff are lurking with other e-mail addresses...
I hope so. As El Guapo said, it's probably a good thing to remain separate from the APA, but if Cyburbia is to remain an important planning resource, it would be nice to have 'em "on our side," in a way. Yes, there's the occasional posting in the Forums that is critical of the organization, but I don't think that would be the only reason they don't get involved.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
The target shouldn't be APA National...

Dan Tasman said:

I hope so. As El Guapo said, it's probably a good thing to remain separate from the APA, but if Cyburbia is to remain an important planning resource, it would be nice to have 'em "on our side," in a way. Yes, there's the occasional posting in the Forums that is critical of the organization, but I don't think that would be the only reason they don't get involved.
I agree that trying to woo national is likely a losing battle...but as has been posted before, I think that going for CHAPTERS is the way to go.

*allow me a sec to get up on the soapbox*

I'm an active APA member, but not as it pertains to the national office. I got involved in my chapter at a very young age (took over as the chapter webmaster at age 25) and am very proud of what we have accomplished as a chapter during my years on the executive committee. I was elected the state director last October (as a multi-state chapter we have individual state directors in addition to a president, VP, etc.) and still haven't reached my 30th birthday (or my 29th for that matter).

The chapter (and each state association...none of which are actually affiliated with APA) is in tune with what planners are dealing with, we put on good conferences and professional development workshops, we've developed a video that has been distributed to public access cable stations in all 3 states about planning and how citizens can get involved in the future of their communities, we work with our legislatures to promote planning issues, and we have fun. Bottom line, APA chapters can be far more effective in bringing about change and education than national can be.

*crawling back down off the soapbox*

Lets try to get the chapters involved here at Cyburbia. It may take some time, we may not get 'em all...but I think it is worth the effort.