• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 Hola from MN

KristenAnna

Hey! This is Kristen here... a planner wanna-be from Minnesota. I just graduated from UW- La Crosse with a Geography major and Photography minor. I'm hopefully going to be going to grad school soon to get my masters of urban planning. I'm looking at going to UW- Milwaukee.... anyone know anything about the program there?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome aboard,
from one of the many long ago geography majors around here.
along the Ohio River at about mile marker 792.5.

good luck in Grad School.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Hello from southeastern Wisconsin! I have occassionally spoken to classes up there or worked with students of the program. I would say it is a very good program, especially if you prefer an urban or design focus. Madison is probably better for a regional or environmental perspective.

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Welcome Kristen
With the geography background and the photographic skills I'm sure you will be able to be a good planner.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Must not make comment about difficultly of the "La Crosse" program (sorry, inside Cyburbia joke).

Welcome from Canada, eh?

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Welcome aboard. As two time alum (grad and undergrad) of the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, I can probably offer some input. I think that the program is pretty good. Most of the professors/instructors are very helpful. They usually get some instructors that are in the Planning profession, which is very helpful. If you are at all interested in GIS, they have outstanding classes and instructors. I agree with Cardinal's comment about the differences between UW and UWM.

One good thing about UW-Milwaukee is that there are a lot of internship opportunities in the area. Budget constraints have hindered this a little, but the school usually has a "Planning Professionals" night where you can meet with people looking for interns.

If you need some more information, feel free to send me a private message (PM) and I can offer some additional info.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
Welcome! While I am a student at UW-Madison, we had a field trip to Milwaukee a few weeks ago and met with one of the UWM professors who talked about that school's involvement with some great hands-on redevelopment in the city. It seemed like a great program.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Greetings from another time-challenged Hoosier planner, Ohio River mile marker 609 (base flood elevation 448' NGVD), and a geography minor.

Good luck with your studies and remember that Cyburbia is the home of The Throbbing Brian (TM), the world-recognized leader in planning/geography/slacking information ;-)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
keeping up with Gedunker
Top of Levee 57.1 ft. or 385.8 msl
January 1937 53.75 ft.
Flood Stage 42.0 ft. or 370.7 msl
Pool Stage 12.8 ft. or 341.5 msl

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Ok, third Hoosier here weighing in (too far north of the river to worry about flooding though). Welcome, and good luck with grad school.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
RichmondJake said:
Welcome from the inland northwest. Base flood elevation: 2,068 feet.

LOL. RJ, if ya'll get wet, we're all in big trouble :-}

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Welcome!

I can add to Repo's comments even though I didnt go to school there. There are tons of internship oipportunities. Milwaukee's program tends to be very hands-on practical, while Madison's is more theory / ivory tower.

Keep netwokring here - there are a lot of WI planners on line, and many of us including me have paid interships.