• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Holiday declarations and Election years

jestes

Cyburbian
Well, I guess the one good thing that has come from this year's campaign is that our sitting Governor has released an early declaration of state holidays for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years.

We will get Thursday and Friday for Thanksgiving; half a day Wednesday, all day Thursday and all day Friday for Christmas; and all day Thursday and Friday for New Years. Count 'em...6.5 paid days off for the holidays. Life just doesn't get any better.

Have any of you received your "holiday" calendar yet?

ludes98

Cyburbian
I wish I had it so cushy. Private sector is not so genereous. We get Turkey day Friday after T-day, Christmas Eve, Christmas, and New Year's Day. New Year's Day is technically in next years calendar, but that would make it 5. Using all my vacation to expand the holidays!

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
For Thanksgiving:

half a day off Thursday and a full day off Friday for Thanksgiving

For Christmas:

half a day off Thursday and a full day off Friday for Christmas

For New Year's

half a day off Thursday and a full day off Friday for New Years.

In this respect, the private sector sucks!

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
SGB said:
We get 10 holidays, plus two floating holidays in '04.

:-$

I have 12 paid Holidays in my contract:

New Years
Presidents Day
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Columbus Day
Veterans Day
Thanksgiving
Day after Thanksgiving
1/2 day X-Mas Eve
XMas
1/2 Day on December 31
Floating Holiday

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
RichmondJake said:

LIVING LARGE:
14 holidays in '04, plus 6 sick days, 6 personal days, and as an 15-year plus veteran of the trenches four weeks vacation time. Total if all taken in one year -- drum roll -- 46 days!

I lose most of the vacation time because I don't use it and can only hold 30 days. Personal time does not roll over. Maximum of 60 sick days can be held. I've given the City probably months and months of uncompensated work if you include PC/BZA meetings. '04 will be my third friggin year in a row (and fifth out of eight) without a raise.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Thanksgiving Day and day after, Christmas Day, New Year's Day. No "eves" off, they'll keep us here until 5 p.m.

That's only 4. Guess I got the short end of the stick.

donk

Cyburbian
12 Days

New Years Day
Easter Friday
Easter Monday
Victoria Day
Canada Day
August Civic Holiday
Labour Day
Thanksgiving Day
Rememberance Day (Nov 11)
1/2 Day Christams Eve
Boxing Day ( and if it afalls on a weekend, the monday)
1/2 Day New Years Eve
New Years Day (and if it afalls on a weekend, the monday)

Next year I go from 15 vacation days to 18 plus the above, plus time off in lieu of OT. 15 sick days ( I have about 30 banked)

nerudite

Cyburbian
Christmas and Boxing Day
New Year's Day.

Only 3 days off... but...

We get every other friday off (RDO), and it so happens that it falls on the day after new years. But I'll be taking it New Year's Eve. Plus, I get December 19th off.

So two weeks of holiday time for only five days of acutal vacation time... not too shabby!

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Turkey day and the day after. For Christmas and New Years, we get the two days plus one. We can take off half days on the eves, or one full day for one of them. Office must remain open.

Here are our holidays:

New Year's Day
Mardi Gras Day
Memorial Day
Independce Day
Labor Day
Thanksgiving Day
Post Thanksgiving Day
Christmas Day
Post Christmas Day

I guess 9 holidays for the private sector isn't so bad. Not many people can claim Mardi Gras!! :)

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
The complete list:

New Year's Eve (1/2 day)
New Year's Day
Mardi Gras
Good Friday
Independence Day
Labor Day
Thanksgiving Day
Chrismas Eve (1/2 day)
Christmas Day

When one of the aforementioned holidays falls on Sunday, the following Monday is observed as the holiday. When one falls on Saturday, the preceding Friday is observed.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I love my benefits
14 days for holidays
20 days for vacation (10 yrs)
9 days for sick time (I have 48 days banked)
4 days for personal time
37 days total