• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Holiday food

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
With all of the holidays coming up, what is the one dish that you can't live without at the holidays? Mine is cheyote dressing with shrimp and chocolate pecan pie. Must have those delectable treats at the holidays.

martini

Cyburbian
Pumpkin pie and stuffing. I could live off this stuff. Actually, I do during the holiday season.

nerudite

Cyburbian
My mom makes really yummy gravy that I can't duplicate. I'm glad she's coming here for Christmas, because I haven't had that gravy in about 10 years. Also, she makes this thing called 'broccoli custard' which is like a broccoli quiche in a ring mold. To die for!

My substitute yummy thing (now that I don't have mom cooking for me anymore) is Elmo's mashed potatoes... the best!

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
French meat stuffing. Tranplanner knows what I'm talking about. :)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
NHPlanner said:
French meat stuffing. Tranplanner knows what I'm talking about. :)
If you're talking about the stuffing in a turkey I sure do. Otherwise, you're on your own buddy ;)

My baked macaroni and cheese and baked sweet potatoes with rum flavor.

I almost forgot - Seafood Gumbo, a Christmas favorite in my household. :)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
My typical Christmas dinner (I'll say this dinner, because we don't have Thanksgiving Day (yet))

It's either turkey with whisky and orange sauce with duquese potatoes and Sauerkaraut, or instead of turkey it's chicken.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
Seafood Gumbo for the holidays. . . New Orleans is cool! I guess when Plymouth Rock is a common elementary school field trip people around here stick with the old standbys.

I need the chocolate creme pie from a certain bakery, and turkey, and stuffing, and cranberry sauce, and green bean casserole, and potatoes, and corn and peas, and GOD HELP ME I'M READY NOW!!!!

BTW - Anyone care for some Turkey and Gravy Soda?

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Homemade Chex Mix

Left over turkey with stuffing and gravy on a hunk of bread and a glass of wine. The holidays are the only times I drink wine. Wine is better than beer on a stomach full of holiday food.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Green bean casserole
Mashed potatos and gravy
Crock-pot mac and cheese
Mmmmmm....

Man, I could go on and on. I wish we were going to be at my parents place for Thanksgiving. Always a huge affair with most of the entire extended family showing up and more food than you can possibly consider eating.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Tranplanner said:
If you're talking about the stuffing in a turkey I sure do. Otherwise, you're on your own buddy ;)
Perhaps I should have inserted the word "recipe" in between french and meat? ;) lol

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I really love the generations-old family recipe for turkey stuffing. Unfortunately, I may be the only one in my generation who makes it with all of the right ingredients (i.e., it's celeriac, not celery!). At Festivustime I like another ancient recipe - the honey cookie. I don't get around to making them every year because they take so long to make the dough, chill it, roll it out, cut it, bake, etc.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
My mom makes this very-sweet red cabbage with Grape jam and lots of sugar. I personally can't stand it, but my wife is wild about it. She got the recipe from my mom and now it has become the "go to food" for the in-law family at the holidays. I guess I'll never get that cabbage smell out of my house ;-)

My Christmas is not complete without klejner (pronounced kliner) a fried (yup, heart healthy!) danish cookie that my mom made every Christmas Eve. Now, if my new counter-tops are in, I'll be making 'em this year.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
We used to have that too when my grandfather was still alive (he was from La). Very yummy.

One thing I did forget is my mother's brandied cranberries. They are so good we put them on things other than the turkey, such as ham, cheesecake, pumpkin pie. They are die for and will make you a little tipsy.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
My mom's stufing with sage sausage and apples. From inside the turkey is even better.

My mom's cranberry jello. I remember as a kid cranking the grinder to chop up the cranberries.

My mon's candied yams.

Um, Mom, could you please come visit for Thanksgiving?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Holiday food is hard to resist
but with discipline and portion control
I will try to keep my blood sugars within a normal range.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Planderella said:

Damn right...can't wait!!! You can't have a holiday in The Big Easy without gumbo. I also must have pecan pie and Planderella's pound cake!!! :D

Queen B

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
[It's either turkey with whisky and orange sauce with duquese potatoes and Sauerkaraut, or instead of turkey it's chicken. [/B]
SkeL, Tell us about the duquese potatoes, how are they made?

Seabishop

Cyburbian
SlaveToTheGrind said:
I remember as a kid cranking the grinder to chop up the cranberries.
That's because you've always been a SLAVE TO THE GRIND, my friend! Sorry everybody, I couldn't help myself.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Oh... I probably mistranslated it...
These potatoes are little balls of mashed potatoes that are later grilled in the oven.
:p

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
That's because you've always been a SLAVE TO THE GRIND, my friend! Sorry everybody, I couldn't help myself.
I'm slow today. Did not even catch that the first time around.

otterpop

Cyburbian
I always make cornbread dressing, with plenty of onion, green pepper and celery, pork sausage, and minced and sauteed gizzards and livers. Tasty.

ilikefish0

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
Never had gumbo for thanksgiving, but things sure are strange down in N.O. My mother, who is from oregon, complains every year because we always have apple pie. She, of course, thinks that pumpkin pie is the only acceptable thanksgiving pie. (Gimme the apple!).

To round out the meal:
3-month old spiral cut ham basted with barqs' root beer
(good once you cut off the green part--my grandfather doesn't believe in freezer burn)

turkey that has been microwaved and baked at the same time
(amazing!)

Ground meat dressing
(mysterious but good)

Every few years, we'll have a rum cake (my favorite! -sorry canadians, british)

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
My stupid sister-in-law always get assigned to bring dessert. After 19 years, she hasn't figured out that I don't eat pecan or pumpkin pie (gag). I have to take a pint of coffee ice cream for my son and me.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Planderella said:

Dirty Rice!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
My sister and I are always amazed that 364 days of the year, our mother was (still is) a BAD cook. But Thanksgiving day, year after year, she could pull off a masterpiece. She is like having Reese from "Malcome in the Middle" as a Mother. And not just in the food dept. but I digress.

Her apple sage stuffing rocked.

My sister has been the only one to nail my grandmother's potato salad recipe (technically there has never been a written recipe, its passed down word of mouth and by taste as you go. No written version has ever worked out).

My ex has nailed Great Aunt Antonia's Apple Kringle. The crust gets rolled sooo many times and pressed soooo thin prior to folding that, unless you clean the floor first, the dough literally drapes off all sides of the [large] kitchen table and touches the floor. MMMMMM!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Chet said:
My sister has been the only one to nail my grandmother's potato salad recipe (technically there has never been a written recipe, its passed down word of mouth and by taste as you go. No written version has ever worked out).
My grandmother made a couple things like that. Most of the family raved about her chocolate chip cookies. (I'll take a pass.) as much as several of her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren tried, nobody ever got them perfect. I miss her cabbage rolls. I'm the only one who has tried to make them, and can't even get close to how hers tasted. It's the same way - written versions don't pan out.

Jen

Cyburbian
I need STUFFING RECIPES!!!!

Post these wonderful turkey dressing traditions: Cardinal Otterpop and TIO

save us from bland turkeystuffing please.... :-$

donk

Cyburbian
Jen said:
I need STUFFING RECIPES!!!!

Post these wonderful turkey dressing traditions: Cardinal Otterpop and TIO

save us from bland turkeystuffing please.... :-$
No idea of the amounts, but my mom puts rosemary,celery and apple in her stuffing, she also uses rye bread with carraway seeds in it. Hope that helps.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Secret recipe mashed potatoes, free-range happy turkey (well, maybe not so happy anymore....), sauteed broccolini, oyster stuffing, gallons of gravy, red wine, pie....hungry.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Plannerbabs said:
Secret recipe mashed potatoes, free-range happy turkey (well, maybe not so happy anymore....), sauteed broccolini, oyster stuffing, gallons of gravy, red wine, pie....hungry.
Hope you got married before Thanksgiving...otherwise the dress may not fit!

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Nope, 23 days and counting....I'll just eat very small amounts, and go running for hours, and it will be worth it. My mom makes the best turkey and gravy. Mmmm, gravy.......

Rem

Cyburbian
Christmas pudding (also called plum pudding by some) - it is made with dried fruit and wrapped in a calico cloth then boiled for hours. Usually prepared about a month before Xmas then reheated on the day. Served with brandy sauce - but I prefer custard (can't stand the taste of brandy).

In Australia, Xmas is in the middle of summer and it is often stinking hot but most of us still go the traditional turkey/leg of pork roast. Its not Xmas unless someone has sweated away in the kitchen all morning and then the family has sat sweating through the lunch. There are a few splitters now going with chilled seafood but we are tradionalists.

JNL

Cyburbian
I never heard of pork roast for xmas dinner! Just as well because I don't like pork.

We will be having our traditional roast chicken with herb stuffing, with roasted potatoes & kumara. Plus peas, carrots, maybe broccoli, all drowned in lashings of chicken gravy. Yummm.

Dessert will likely be 'Christmas pudding' as described by Rem, served with custard and cream.

Then there's the Christmas (fruit) cake with brandy-butter icing.

Just under a month to wait....

jmf

Cyburbian
Rem said:
Christmas pudding (also called plum pudding by some) - it is made with dried fruit and wrapped in a calico cloth then boiled for hours. Usually prepared about a month before Xmas then reheated on the day. Served with brandy sauce - but I prefer custard (can't stand the taste of brandy).
We also have christmas pudding but serve it with 'hard sauce' which is a mixture of butter, brown sugar and rum. Mmmmmmm

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Yup, we usually have Christmas pudding with hard sauce--all homemade because it's hard to find a decent one here. Yum. Still have leftover turkey in the fridge, and now I'm hungry for Christmas dinner....

michaelskis

Cyburbian
BUMP GOES THE THREAD

With Turkey day on it's way, I have been doing a lot of thinking about holiday dinners, and seasonal foods for that matter.

Just the other night I made a traditional boiled dinner with stew meat, potato, carrots, onions, and cabbage all in a crock pot. Best part is none of it was bought at a super market! It was venison meat and the rest came from my garden. For me, it is a sign that Fall is almost over and winter is on it's way. On Thursday, I am looking forward to the yams just as much as the turkey. It will be a great meal as I watch Green Bay go 11-0

Do you have particular foods that you eat around particular holidays or seasons?

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Watergate salad-aka pistacho pudding. That and brats are the only food I will eat myself sick on.

For Christmas-cookies, cookies and more cookies.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rather than RT buying gifts for her assortment of friends, we usually spend a weekend making all sorts of candy and confections in the kitchen. Gives us some time together and the recipients usually appreciate something that was home made especially when it is sweet.

Generally we make chocolate fudge from my great grandmother's recipe, buckeye balls, peanut brittle, and spiced nuts.

As far as turkey day goes my favorite sides are the yams with marshmallows (I've refined my mother's dish over the years and I get many requests for it) and the stuffing. RT fancies the haricot vert with almonds or the shredded brussels sprouts with pancetta and shallots.

btrage

Cyburbian
Deep fried turkey is a Thanksgiving must have if it's up to me.

Last year, I made stuffing in my slow cooker. It was a new recipe I found and it turned out great, very flavorful and moist. I'm making it again this year.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member

Last year, I made stuffing in my slow cooker. It was a new recipe I found and it turned out great, very flavorful and moist. I'm making it again this year.
Interesting, I never thought to make it in the slow cooker. I like my own concoction but run a little short on kitchen space in my current digs. Anything special that you need to do to cook it in a slow cooker?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

Yeah, I've never heard of stuffing in a slow cooker. Sounds interesting. Seems like it would keep it quite moist.

btrage

Cyburbian
Interesting, I never thought to make it in the slow cooker. I like my own concoction but run a little short on kitchen space in my current digs. Anything special that you need to do to cook it in a slow cooker?
Yeah, I've never heard of stuffing in a slow cooker. Sounds interesting. Seems like it would keep it quite moist.
Nothing special really. I think this recipe is close to what I make. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/slow-cooker-stuffing-2/detail.aspx

I think the key is to cook it on low. And make sure you use enough broth.