• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Holiday food

Otis

Cyburbian
That slow cook stuffing recipe looks tasty, but it is really high in sodium. If I were to make it I'd use no-salt butter, low-sodium broth, reduce the amount of added salt by half or two-thirds, and up the amount of sage and other spices.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
That slow cook stuffing recipe looks tasty, but it is really high in sodium. If I were to make it I'd use no-salt butter, low-sodium broth, reduce the amount of added salt by half or two-thirds, and up the amount of sage and other spices.

We have unsalted butter and low-sodium broth. Actually, I was watching "The Chew", the new foodie show on ABC, the other day, and one of the chefs said he uses nothing but unsalted butter any more. I normally just use unsalted for chili, which we just had tonight, but using it rest of the time makes sense. I just never thought of it, duh.

Back on topic: I have to have Sara Lee pecan coffee cake on X-mas morning. It was a tradition while I was growing up. RJ and the kid don't eat it. My mom wasn't a baker so she would have never made from-scratch coffee cake, but I have to have that coffee cake on X-mas.

T-day: RJ said he wanted something with more flavor than my usual herb/Swanson broth, etc dressing, so I found a great-looking recipe using sausage in a Southern Living cookbook, and bought all the ingredients for it. Then tonight he gets this slow-cooker stuffing idea. Sigh...well, at least it'll be one less dish in the oven...:r:

btrage

Cyburbian

Thanks for the suggestions. I may incorporate.

btrage

Cyburbian
Deep fried turkey is a Thanksgiving must have if it's up to me.

Last year, I made stuffing in my slow cooker. It was a new recipe I found and it turned out great, very flavorful and moist. I'm making it again this year.

I wasn't paying attention and added too much broth. Nice and moist turned into mushy. I hadn't even started drinking yet. :(

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I wasn't paying attention and added too much broth. Nice and moist turned into mushy. I hadn't even started drinking yet. :(

Yeah, RJ made that and it was total mush. Tasty, but mush, even after we put it into a baking dish into the oven for the last half hour.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!

Use less broth....lots less broth. But add mild Italian sausage.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!

I'm making this stock as I write. It looks and smells great. Easy and highly recommended. :h: :-o

EDIT: Told you.

DSC00021_2_.jpg

Last edited:

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Thanksgiving Table @ Bear's

This Bear is, like the turkey, "stuffed". Even though I ate small portions I did manage to chow my way through just about everything on our Thanksgiving Dinner table. What was on the table? Glad you asked.....

Roast Turkey
Bear's Special Recipe Stuffing :p
Honey Ham
Spaghetti Salad
"Betty Salad" (If you live in NW Ohio you know what this is!) :p
Peas
Mashed Potatoes & Turkey Giblet Gravy
Dinner Rolls
Sweet Potato Casserole
Green Bean Casserole
Pumpkin Pie With Whipped Topping
Ice Box Cake
Peanut Butter Pie

Yum!

Now we slowly attack a 'fridge full of leftovers. I wasn't the only one who gobbled small portions. We had enuf food to feed an army. So, to get the goodies, I used my left army and my right army.....

:D

Bear

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
The dessert I made for Thanksgiving - Pumpkin Chocolate Whoopie Pies - came out great. They were messy; good thing we had plenty of napkins. :p

As predicted, there was WAY too much food for six people. Everyone got to take home leftovers. I'm looking forward to digging into them tonight. :)