• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Holiday Gifts

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
What holiday gift -- that you have given or received -- stands out most for you?

An ex-GF made me a walking stick in which she carved various native-american symbols for health, prosperity, finding your way, etc. Very simple and elegant. She probably spent about 59 cents on the leather loop for it and nothing else. I still have it and use it regularly.

What about you?

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
The first fathers day card I got from Kylie....still have it proudly displayed in my office. :)

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
the first chrismast after i left my ex a dear friend saw how depressed and alone i was. I had not seen my family in a year and could not go home for the holidays becouse I was so broke.

i was at the lowest point of my life and this fine person contacted my sister and had her flown up to spend a few days right before Christmas with me. He recalled I had told him the Carpenters were my mothers fav Christmas music so he got me the CD boxed set and a surprise and had it playing in the car when we picked my sister up at the airport. This man took us on a shopping trip to Charlotte and out to a nice dinner after seeing the city all done up in christmas lights.

That simple thoughfulness of giving me my family when i needed it most was the best "gift" anyone has ever given me.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
When my son Conner was 3 we were staying with my mom (during my divorce). When I woke Conner up Christmas morning and we headed downstairs he looked down at the tree and saw a beautiful yellow and black pedal car with a toy dinosaur at the wheel. He looked up at me with such a hopeful look, and said "Is it for me?" It was sooo cute.

We spent many an afternoon and evening taking that car out and about. I'd perch him in it on the edge of a stormwater pond and give the car a shove, and he'd go flying down. Then I'd push him back up and start all over. We were both sad when he outgrew it.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Zoning Goddess said:
We spent many an afternoon and evening taking that car out and about. I'd perch him in it on the edge of a stormwater pond and give the car a shove, and he'd go flying down. Then I'd push him back up and start all over.

awwwww, YOUR VERY OWN SUSAN SMITH HOLIDAY MOMENT! :)

nerudite

Cyburbian
Elmo and I met via the Internet, and we used to e-mail back and forth a lot. After we started dating, the e-mails started to drop off. He writes beautiful e-mails/letters, and I started to miss them. So our first xmas living together as one of my gifts, he wrote this long beautiful letter to me about our new life together and what his hopes were for the future. Best christmas gift ever.

Holiday Gift - Last christmas both rob and i had said we weren't going to do much for each other because we were saving for the baby, but we were each secretly stashing money away. I got him this beautiful watch he'd had his eye on at the jewelers, and he got me a ruby and diamond ring that i'd been coveting. The jeweler is a family friend, so we get a crazy discount, and it still makes me laugh to think of us both sneaking over to the jewelers to make payments on our respective gifts.

All time gift - when i was in SC, and Rob here in NY, when we were first together, he sent me a black eyed Susan flower that he had picked and pressed for me - the first flower he ever gave me, and i had been so sad and missing him. i still have it framed in my bathroom where i can see it every morning.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Though not exactly a holiday - for D-Day (June 6) 2001 - my wife gave me a son. We still have him.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Chet said:
Well, it was a good visualization, none the less. :)

I know, Chet. The first image that came to mind was a steep slope, fully grown cattails and sawgrass, and storm-water run-off. A little guy in a wagon flying down the slope like Calvin and Hobbes. But "Susan Smith"? Precious!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
early 70's my brother and I got a Sunfish Sailboat,
that my dad and friends brought into the living room minus the mast.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
JNA said:

We had one of those. I loved the thing. Why is it I can't find the time to continue doing things like sailing?

Bangorian

JNA said:

My dad picked up a small homemeade sunfish at a yard sale for like $20 one day, but it leaked in about 12 places. So, for my brother's birthday a couple of weeks later, we hauled it out to the corner of the backyard, sunk it into the ground so it'd be nice and level and stable, and filled it with sand. It was the coolest sandbox in the neighborhood, that's for sure!

otterpop

Cyburbian
OT, slightly

These posts reminded me of a very worthy cause I contribute to every year, even during my lean grad school days, that does good and makes you feel better about yourself too -- Toys for Tots. You give a modest gift for a boy or girl, or both and what you get in return is the knowledge that you've made some
child's Christmas better.

We complain every year about what Christmas has become. Toys for Tots is an example of the good in the Christmas season. Those stern, gung-ho Marines started this project and do this every year, with the support of those willing to contribute a toy or two.

I encourage you to buy a toy or two for those kids who might otherwise not have a good Christmas and drop it off unwrapped in one of the donation barrels in your town. It makes me feel good. I bet it will do the same for you!