• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Holiday Indulgences

Holiday Indungences : Watching your intake?

• I'm especially careful this time of year

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Watching? Watch as I shovel it all in, baby!

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • No, I'm not caring in any way

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • I'd rather discuss this in greater detial below.

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
As I get ready to deaprt work and hit the gym before coming back for a fun night of four Public Hearings, followed by a Common Council meeting, I am pondering the collective holiday weight gain of registered Cyburbia Users. Despite my best efforts, I regained all of last year's 30 lb. weight loss. Damned Dockers are getting a bit small again... A recent CNN report said that the average American only gains one pound during the holidays, but a high % never lose that wweight, so collectively by the time you're 50 you;re pretty well screwed. So...who's watching their waist???

Habanero

Cyburbian
Well, I wouldn't say I gorge myself beyond being able to sit up straight.. I just make sure that with the rest of the craziness I keep going to the gym and doing my thing.. and I don't eat the office candy and goodies. Usually, it just means more beer and wine around the holidays, it's the generic, yet always appreciated, gift.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Since my wife and I moved in together (including our living in sin period....since Dec. 2000), I've lost about 40 pounds. I actually had to ask for smaller sized pants for my birthday and christmas this year.

I still eat like I always do around the holidays though....can't help it, and don't want to! :)

nerudite

Cyburbian
I'm a grazer by nature... unfortunately around the holidays there is a lot more crap around the office. Since I don't eat when I'm not hungry, I don't end up partaking in too much of the junk that comes in. However, my b.f.'s mum is bringing me my favorite second-favorite candy (chicken bones from Robertson's Candy Company in Truro) from Nova Scotia when she comes out next week... so I'm sure I'll go through that in no time flat. :(

Oh yeah, chicken bones from the Maritimes are cinnamon hard candies filled with chocolate, as opposed to the coconut butterfingery things in the States. Much yummier!

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I noticed this morning that I had gained the 30 I had lost a couple of years ago. Time to do it again.

BKM

Cyburbian
I'm almost ready to give up :( Holiday seasons mean more parties, but I am hopeless even during the rest of the year.

Even with the new bike, I just don't seem to be as interested in cycling as I was a few years ago. And, the rainy season is finally arriving with a vengeance.

Combined with terrible impulse control towards sweets, a local Trader Joes grocery store for horrible foods like euro-cheeses at cheap prices, and sheer laziness after work, I'm not nearly as diligent as I was.

Hopefully, the fact that the gym I waste money on each month is building a fancy facility two blocks away will provide some incentive :)

Mastiff

Gunfighter
nerudite said:
I'm a grazer by nature... unfortunately around the holidays there is a lot more crap around the office. Since I don't eat when I'm not hungry, I don't end up partaking in too much of the junk that comes in. However, my b.f.'s mum is bringing me my favorite second-favorite candy (chicken bones from Robertson's Candy Company in Truro) from Nova Scotia when she comes out next week... so I'm sure I'll go through that in no time flat. :(

Oh yeah, chicken bones from the Maritimes are cinnamon hard candies filled with chocolate, as opposed to the coconut butterfingery things in the States. Much yummier!
I'm going to send Red Vines just to piss off your boyfriend...

nerudite

Cyburbian
Mastiff said:

I'm going to send Red Vines just to piss off your boyfriend...
Why would sending me red vines piss off my boyfriend? I don't quite understand the correlation there...but hey, if I get red vines out of it... woohoo!

Jeff

Cyburbian
While I always watch what I eat, I don't get too concerned over the holidays. My metabolism is so high from cycling and running that I nver consume more calories in a week than I burn through the 2 activities.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I usually don't eat much on Christmas because I'm not that big on the turkey thing; it's all the nibblies and drinks at the parties that gets my waist into expansion mode. I have 2 weeks off over the holidays (wow, longest vacation ever!) and am hoping to get back into an exercise routine at the "Y" (but will probably just rent a lot of movies and play with the kid's new toys).

Well, my pants are getting definitely getting a little more snug, we don't have any junk food in the house, but we do a lot more eating out at other people's places this time of year, so the weight is creeping up a bit. i can make about 8 million excuses not to go run at the gym, but i seem to be making it to my twice weekly yoga class pretty regularly . i think its because there are a couple seriously stressful personal things going on right now that I just feel soooo much better after an hour of yoga.

Jeff

Cyburbian
KMateja said:
Well, my pants are getting definitely getting a little more snug, we don't have any junk food in the house, but we do a lot more eating out at other people's places this time of year, so the weight is creeping up a bit. i can make about 8 million excuses not to go run at the gym, but i seem to be making it to my twice weekly yoga class pretty regularly . i think its because there are a couple seriously stressful personal things going on right now that I just feel soooo much better after an hour of yoga.
A quote I have taped to my computer at work and refrigerator at home, take it for what its worth....

"More than 60% of Americans are now classified as overweight or obese, which greatly increases the risks of heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and other life-threatening illnesses. Don't join this group. Excercise to live longer for your spouse, kids, and extended family."

Always helps to get me out the door on those days I'd rather couch it.

The Irish One

Trader Joes wants to kill me. I just bought some Irish cheddar (the kind that comes in the black wax) and oh man, I'm starting to feel like a Homer. I toured on my bike for a month and a half last summer and hiked for two solid weeks in Yosemite. I was looking great when I came back now I look like I'm eating a lot of Trader Joes products. I just finished a pound par of Belgian milk chocolate with almonds. and I've been enjoying a 4 pack of Old Rasputin. A January bike tour is in order!

nerudite

Cyburbian
The Irish one said:
Trader Joes wants to kill me.
Trader Joes is the one place I miss more than any other in the States. I love Trader Joes! They have a lot of things that are yummy and low in fat/calories... like their mint chocolate chip meringue cookies... delectable!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Damned endorphines

So I went to the gym before my Council meeting last night. First time in weeks. Did a heavy cardio routine and weights too - the kind of thing I would do if I was still going to the gym 4 days a week.

Endorphine high!

Prudence didnt want to stop for a beer after the meeting, so I went home thinking "damn when this wears off I'm going to crash hard".

Slept through the alarm

Slept through 5 phone calls (3 of them being work)

Woke up quite refreshed at 10:30 this morning.

Calle dwork to tell them I'd just burned 4 hours of vacation and would be in after lunch. Damn.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Re: Damned endorphines

bturk said:

Prudence didnt want to stop for a beer after the meeting....
I would've gone for a beer, none of these people up here go out after meetings- I thought there was a law somewhere saying you had to, but everyone goes home. Lame.

I took Hatcher for a walk, his Halti finally fits like it should now that he reached the 50lb mark. He loves running around outside, and I love it too because he crashes when we get home.

el Guapo

Capitalist
I did an hour on the treadmill lastnight whille I watched "An Evening With the Dixiie Chicks." Damn their dumb, but I sure think they is pleasing to the eye. I gotta get back out on that bike.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
El Guapo said:
I did an hour on the treadmill lastnight whille I watched "An Evening With the Dixiie Chicks." Damn their dumb, but I sure think they is pleasing to the eye.
Yeah, except for the fat one that was on Celebrity Trading Spaces with her Mom. They usually only show her from the neck up in the videos.

el Guapo

Capitalist
You say fat Dixie Chick like it is a bad thing. I'm thinking diversity. Sort of a sampler.

Jeff

Cyburbian
How 'bout when the fat one was doing some head banging. Anyone see that? That was a little weird....