• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Holiday shopping

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Ok all the holidays are here, what are some good ideas for gifts for loved ones? S.Os? Family? Friends?

Birthdays in Dec?

Lets share thoughts and help each other shop *note to guys write this stuff down*

Mastiff

Gunfighter
PlannerGirl said:
Ok all the holidays are here, what are some good ideas for gifts for loved ones? S.Os? Family? Friends?

Birthdays in Dec?

Lets share thoughts and help each other shop *note to guys write this stuff down*
For PlannerGirl: New Elkhide Flogger - Custom made, of course.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Last year I got James a leather jacket- got a really good deal on one and figured it said "you're okay for now" without the "this present assumes a serious commitment"- besides, it's hits him at the right spot that shows off his hockey butt.

I usually get friend's presents at World Market, you can find interesting stuff without spending tons of money. My sister got a sake set last year, cook book, and sushi set- I went with a theme obviously.

Parents: no clue. My Mom usually wants some power tool for the ranch- one year she asked for rocks for her garden.

My sister grauates in December- any ideas on what to get her (she's going to Ibeza (sp?) for 2 months afterwards).

BKM

Cyburbian
My mother has a huge collection of ceramic pig kitsch. She's pretty easy to buy for. She also likes glassware.

Brother: No idea.

Sister: She is getting a new Pinarello frameset and Campi groupo. She is way more into cycling than I am right now. She asked for a new set of peddles to finish off the bicycle. Not sure whether to go with SPDs or (like I have) Look.

nerudite

Cyburbian
The bf's kids are writing to Santa tonight so we can go shopping this weekend and get it out of the way (I have a feeling bey blades will be on the list). His 15 y.o. wants to be a marine biologist, so last year I got her a membership in the Cousteau Society (which she loved!)... she asked for me to renew it for xmas.

I'm pricing small t.v.'s and hockey jerseys for the b.f., but I haven't decided on which will be the big gift this year.

I'm making a wreath for his mum tomorrow out of these beautiful ribbons and mailing it to her in Nova Scotia. My parents and I exchange Christmas ornaments every year, which keeps things simple and lowers the cost of shipping pricy and heavy items.

That's about it on my list... since I've moved to Canada I have decided that purchasing and mailing things from here are just too expensive, so I'm cutting back this year to cards for most of the extended family.

I still need to think of something for my brother... so if anyone can think of what to get a 30 y.o. neo-hippie, let me know.

el Guapo

Capitalist
I try to fill the gaps in my family's ammo supply. For instance my brother in law has no black tallon armor piercing 30-30 round. While that one may seem obvious, it takes a deep level of concern to truly find just the right box of ammo for a pre-teen girl.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
The Dirty Deed

[slight highjack]

When I was first divorced, my ex-wife had the kids. So, in addition to a new game console, we sent some "extra" gifts. We got the messy (finger paints, chemistry sets, stuff with a million pieces), the loud (pop guns, whistles, caps), and the airbourne (nerf footballs, slingshots, guns that shoot things)...

Then, to make it all the more fun, we packed the box with every kind of candy and sweets that we could think of...

I hear it was a real, erm, interesting Christmas.

[/slight highjack]

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Mastiff I gave Scott one last week so im...covered on that :)

and i have a collection of my own as it is. Im asking "Santa" for a 4 ft 20 plat from RAW whips. start out kinda small and work up to larger ones.

I think im gonna get Scott a Palm for christmas and tickets to see "a christmas carol" at Fords theater for his birthday

for the rest of the family im clueless

oh yha dogs-real bones and new collars

nerudite

Cyburbian
Re: The Dirty Deed

Mastiff said:
[slight highjack]

When I was first divorced, my ex-wife had the kids. So, in addition to a new game console, we sent some "extra" gifts. We got the messy (finger paints, chemistry sets, stuff with a million pieces), the loud (pop guns, whistles, caps), and the airbourne (nerf footballs, slingshots, guns that shoot things)...

Then, to make it all the more fun, we packed the box with every kind of candy and sweets that we could think of...

I hear it was a real, erm, interesting Christmas.

[/slight highjack]
Nice one! Last year I sent some little gifts home with them to open at their mum's house: silly putty (ended up in her carpet!) and okarinas. I'm quite the evil one too... and I had only been in the psuedo-stepmum position for two weeks. Not bad, eh? Mwahahaha.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
PlannerGirl said:

Birthdays in Dec?

I hate Christmas.

It's too early to start thinking about that damned holiday!

My birthday is in December. So is my brother's. And my dad's.

Ugh.

Jen

Cyburbian
TexasPlanner said:

Parents: no clue. My Mom usually wants some power tool for the ranch- one year she asked for rocks for her garden.

My sister grauates in December- any ideas on what to get her (she's going to Ibeza (sp?) for 2 months afterwards).

Your Mom sounds cool and am I hearing that your sis is going to that sinful place by Spain?????

Anyone know the words to that song about people in Ibeza

LOL

THis year I am going to use www.Zingermans.com for faraway family. I like to go with themes also. Work up some magic or voodoo depending on the giftee.

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
My sister generally gets the latest Terry Pratchett book in hard back (it's very nice of Mr Pratchett to time his releases for Christmas and her birthday/June, don't you think?) and my dad gets the latest History of Britain-style book. Then I get extras.

This year, my sister's getting married on Christmas Eve (and I'm already feeling guilty about spending more on my gorgeous red velvet suit than on all the seasonal presents). So, along with the wedding present I haven't decided on yet, I'm giving Sam and Dave (no, not the soul group!) some watches. Dad and Dave are getting a toy car set each as 'extras'. Rebecca, Dave's sister, is getting some animal hand puppets. Dave and Rebecca's parents are getting alcohol.

I foresee drinking games removing Christmas dinner from the menu.

For rob I was super sneaky and went to the family jeweler and picked out a watch.

My moms and sisters are super easy, i usually do a theme: baking, cake decorating, books, clothes, toys

Dads are SO much harder. My dad usually gets a bag of pistacio nuts, a case of Pepsi and a gift certificate to Borders or Sears. Two years ago we got him a GPS and it became his own personal binky - he takes it everywhere, on walks, and he made a mount for his car, his bike, his canoe and even his damn lawnmower! We've been wracking our brains trying to come up with something that will top it, but i just don't know.

kms

Cyburbian
My sisters are the opposite of Kelly's. I never know what to buy them; they don't have any hobbies or interests. They don't even read. My brother is pretty much the same. I don't think they use or enjoy anything I give them.

Legos are the gift of choice for my kids - they build with Legos every day, and don't tire of them. They each get a new box of them every year. Books are welcome, too.

My husband and I don't exchange gifts. Two years ago, he said he'd build me a Prairie-style bookcase for Christmas; so far he framed one door. It's too bad; I acquired some interior stained glass windows from our church to use for the doors, and it would have been a piece of fine furniture.

The kids' school has the best fund raiser ever - scrips. We can buy gift certificates, and receive tuition credit. I will give lots of those this year.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I have no idea what I'm getting anybody yet, but I'm working on it. Usually start with the small stuff first, just to get going. Once that starts, the rest falls into place. I like the theme idea, may have to try that.

KMS - my sympathies with your sisters. For the difficult to buy for woman, you can never go wrong with crap for their house.... candles, vases, holiday serving trays, etc.

The most miserable to buy for is Rob's wealthy aunt and uncle. Try to find a $30 gift for people who literally have EVERYTHING, don't drink wine that costs less than $100 a bottle, has every new cookbook, they just buy whatever they want. Horrible.

donk

Cyburbian
OT for BKM
Not sure whether to go with SPDs or (like I have) Look.
If her bike is all campy and is a pinarello get the campi manufactured look style pedals. Stay away from SPD's for long road rides, the cleat is so small it can "burn" your foot.

Back to the topic

Mom, easy to buy for - soap from Lush and a few CD's.

Father- and this is good for anyone's dad who is a wood worker - clamps of various sizes and types. Pipe clamps, C clamps, pressure clamps it does not matter you can never have enough clamps.

Suggestions for Kids

For boys who like to read and are between 8-13 any book by Daniel Pinkwater. Younger - Lizard music, Older 5 Novels.

All I really want is a good bread knife.

Tranplanner said:

You just have to educate them that good wine isn't necessarily expensive wine!
blargh, there is no educating these people - his uncle is one of those men who knows EVERYTHING. total jackass.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Kelly get them a case of Beaujolais Nouveau, best damn red wine around-limited botteling and only on the shelves for a short time right after Nov 20th each year. Its a hoity toty sort of thing to have limited things like that and its actualy not overpriced and quite good. But hard to get after a few days so jump on it.

Or get them a couple bottles and those damn annoying wine bottle adornment things. you know the ones that hang on the neck of the bottle.

Jeff

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Not sure whether to go with SPDs or (like I have) Look.
Dude...putting SPD pedals on a Pinarello with Campy stuff is just plain sacreligous. You might as well go with toe clips.

Look pedals are the shiznit....I use the PP206 because they are the lightest, and I don't like float. The more expensive Looks have like 15 degrees of float but they're as heavy as cinderblocks.

Speedplays are really cool too, if you're not gonna do a whole lotta climbing, because there is virtually nothing to them.

A chick I know just gat a brand new Pinarello Prince with Campy Record and Ksyrium wheels for $800.00 at a swap meet a couple weeks ago. I still can't believe the deal she got!!

Habanero

Cyburbian
Jen said:

Your Mom sounds cool and am I hearing that your sis is going to that sinful place by Spain?????

Anyone know the words to that song about people in Ibeza

LOL

THis year I am going to use www.Zingermans.com for faraway family. I like to go with themes also. Work up some magic or voodoo depending on the giftee.
Aw, thanks. She's a planner as well, perhaps that's why she's still cool. :)

That site is great, maybe I'll so that for family as well-

Jen

Cyburbian
(and I'm already feeling guilty about spending more on my gorgeous red velvet suit than on all the seasonal presents).
J-Mo in a red velvet suit!!? Groovy baby.

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
This years its electronics.

My husband and brother are both getting PlayStation 2 games. Parents are getting a DVD player.

PlannerGirl said:
Kelly get them a case of Beaujolais Nouveau, best damn red wine around-limited botteling and only on the shelves for a short time right after Nov 20th each year. Its a hoity toty sort of thing to have limited things like that and its actualy not overpriced and quite good. But hard to get after a few days so jump on it.

Or get them a couple bottles and those damn annoying wine bottle adornment things. you know the ones that hang on the neck of the bottle.
Danie - You're the best! I just called my wine store and they're going to set aside a couple bottles for me! woo hoo!

Jeff

Cyburbian
donk said:
Mike De said

I guess she is heating her house with it?
You lost me on that one....ZOOOOM..right over my head.

Kel,

I betcha if your dad liked the GPS he'd like a police scanner. He just fits the profile.

Mike - In theory that would be a great idea if we didn't live in the middle of nowhere and the majority of the calls on it weren't "Ed Jukin's goats are back out on Rte 34" or "Local school kids are smoking weed at the gravel pit".

donk

Cyburbian
You lost me on that one....ZOOOOM..right over my head.
The bike is probably hot (stolen) for a price like that, hence you can heat your house with it.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I dislike the holidays, so I won;t shop until the days right before. Here's my plan this year:

Mom & Dad: DVD player
Sis and bro-in-law: DVD player
Neices: DVDs.

One trip to Best Buy and presto finish-o

We did almost all our shopping this weekend, with a couple other thing we just need to pick up that we couldn't get at Filene's or Target. It was definitely a Target kind of Christmas this year.

nerudite

Cyburbian
KMateja said:
We did almost all our shopping this weekend, with a couple other thing we just need to pick up that we couldn't get at Filene's or Target. It was definitely a Target kind of Christmas this year.
I miss Target. :(

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I got my ex a creme brule kit. I would never let her operate a blow torch in the kitchen, but now, WTF....

nerudite

Cyburbian
bturk said:
I got my ex a creme brule kit. I would never let her operate a blow torch in the kitchen, but now, WTF....
You buy your ex gifts? Wow... that's the first I've heard of that. Maybe I just know a lot of bitter people.

donk

Cyburbian
But they are gifts like the ones you give to your neices and nephews to drive your sister crazy. (loud toys that require batteries and make lots of noise). Only reccomended if you don't have to spend christmas day with them.

nerudite, if your boy friend's kids live with his ex, this is the opportunity to get even with her and make the kids like you better. They'll be gifts that keep on giving

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
nerudite said:

You buy your ex gifts? Wow... that's the first I've heard of that. Maybe I just know a lot of bitter people.
Yes, we're still best of friends. My family thinks its wierd.

nerudite

Cyburbian
bturk said:

Yes, we're still best of friends. My family thinks its wierd.
Very cool! It's nice to know of someone who made it through a divorce without totally hating their ex. You are a rare bird, my friend.