• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

holiday tunes

Floridays

Cyburbian
I'm sitting here, playing my "Nutcracker" CD and feeling somewhat Christmasy.
What is your favorite holiday song? Mine would have to be "Walking in a Winter Wonderland." Even though I'm in south FL wearing short sleeves right now...makes me wish for some snow!!!

"Please Come Home For Christmas" by Charles Brown - perfect juke joint blues Christmas song ( I think Don Henley, among others, remade it)

"Silent Night" by the Temptations - 'nuff said

"Let It Snow" - Boys II Men and Brian McKnight - not a bad contemporary song

nerudite

Cyburbian
Even though I'm not a religious person, O Holy Night is my favorite traditional song.

Non-traditional song that always gets me in the Christmas mood is Christmas Wrapping by the Waitresses. It was one of my favorite songs growing up.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I recall my ex mother-in-law playing "I'll be Home for Christmas" being sung by Bing Crosby the same year he died. I fell out of the chair laughing and yelling "Not this year, Bing!" Still my favorite though.

Floridays

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Even though I'm not a religious person, O Holy Night is my favorite traditional song.

Non-traditional song that always gets me in the Christmas mood is Christmas Wrapping by the Waitresses. It was one of my favorite songs growing up.
That's a GREAT one! I always smile when I hear that one...especially when she says, "oh you forgot the cranberries, too?"

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Anything by Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, Perry Como, Johhny Mathis, or Jim Reeves. But the most memorable is The Christmas Song by Nat.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Traditional: Angels we have heard on high (Gloria in Excelsis Deo )
Popular: I'll be Home for Christmas (though now, I'll have RichmondJake's story going on in the back of my head when I hear it , sorry Bing! :-D )
John Mellencamp's -- I saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
Burce Springsteen's -- Santa Claus is Coming to Town

My favorite "non-traditional" song, if there's even such a thing is a 'typical' New Orleans Christmas carol from Benny Grunch.

THE TWELVE YATS OF CHRISTMAS
(Benny "Grunch" Antin) Anzel Anzel, BMI

1. On'da foist day'a Christmas mah
Mawmaw gave'to me a Crawfish'dey
Caught in Arabi

2. In'da Christmas Picayune I seen it
Dere'n Section E, Tujaque's Recipe

3. On'da thoid day' a Christmas we
Stopped at McKenzie for Three French Breads

4. On the fourth day I said OK let's get a
Christmas tree Before'ya Drive Me Nuts

5. On the fifth day of Christmas we
stopped at A&G for Frrried Onion Rrrings

6. On'da sixth day'a Christmas we
stopped at K&B's for a Six Pack'a Dixie

7. Cemetery traffic got backed up to
Metairie at the Seventeenth Street Canal

8. On'da eighth day of Christmas me and
Rosalie Ate By'ya Mama's

9. On the ninth day of Christmas we drove
down Delery in'da Lower Ninth Ward

10. I used'ta be at Kaiser now I'm woikin
down'da street at'da Tenneco Chalmette Refinery

11. On the eleventh day at Vetran's
Highway try'ta cross the street with Eleven Schwegmann Bags

12. On the twelfth day of Christmas my
true love gave to me a Dozen Manuel's Tamales

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Forgot my other fav: The Bob & Doug McKenzie version of the 12 Days of Christmas

nerudite

Cyburbian
Floridays said:
That's a GREAT one! I always smile when I hear that one...especially when she says, "oh you forgot the cranberries, too?"
Totally. I heard it when I was shopping for Christmas gifts the other day... it made my day. :)

martini

Cyburbian
Seconding Bob & Doug McKenzie here. LOVE it. Other wise I just heard a rendition of Silent Night by Bela Flek and the Flecktones the other night that was a mind blower. I HATE Manheim Steamroller. HATE it with a passion. If anyone plays it, I slyly pull it out of rotation while no ones looking. It just grates on my nerves. I prefer traditional stuff by the greats like nat King Cole etall. The more romantic and feel goody stuff. I also like some of the "very specail christmas" albums that have been put out over the years.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I'm still a sucker for the old hymns
O Holy Night, What Child is This, and Gloria in Excelsis Deo have always been my favorites.

Albums I like to play duing the season include just about any jazz/blues holiday collection and the Very Special Christmas . compilations. The Chris Cornell rendition of Ave Maria on the third edition is something else.

Last edited:

El Feo

Cyburbian
"Christmas Song" by Nat.

"Mele Kalikimaka" by Bing.

"Let it Snow" by Wynton.

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot the whole Vince Guaraldi score for "Charlie Brown Christmas"...

Last edited:

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
Forgot my other fav: The Bob & Doug McKenzie version of the 12 Days of Christmas
That is definitely one of my top favorites! And a beer...

What about jingle bells, batman smells, robin laid an egg....?

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
I love just about anything sung by Bing Crosby, but my top favorites of his are "O Come All Ye Faithful" and "White Christmas" (Any Christmas song he sings with the Andrews Sisters on backup is a third).

Also, I like Little Drummer Boy by the Harry Simone Chorale

Santa Baby (Madonna's version is pretty good)
Bob & Doug's 12 Days of Christmas

There was a guy who did a Christmas spoof of Sabbath's "Iron Man"...really funny. That guy has some funny Christmas songs, but I forget his name.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
El Feo said:
"

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot the whole Vince Guaraldi score for "Charlie Brown Christmas"...
That's a favorite in our family, too.

Also "White Christmas" and "Snoopy's Christmas".

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
"Silent Night" - The Temptations version

"I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" - from the Jackson 5 Christmas Album (1970):

Lyrics

Wow! Mommy’s kissing Santa Claus!
I saw mommy kissing Santa Claus
Underneath the mistletoe last night
She didn’t see me creep
Down the stairs to have a peep
She thought that I was tucked up
In my bedroom, fast asleep

Then I saw mommy tickle Santa Claus
Underneath his beard so snowy white
Oh, what a laugh it would have been
If daddy had only seen
Mommy kissing Santa Claus last night

He saw mommy kissing Santa Claus
I did! I really did see mommy kissing Santa Claus
And I’m gonna tell my dad

Then I saw mommy tickle santa claus
Underneath his beard so snowy white
If daddy had only seen

If daddy had only seen

I did! I did! I really did see mommy kissing Santa Claus
You gotta believe me! you just gotta believe me!
Come on, fellas, believe me! you just gotta believe me!

:D

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
BiteMeElmo said:

There was a guy who did a Christmas spoof of Sabbath's "Iron Man"...really funny. That guy has some funny Christmas songs, but I forget his name.
That would be Bob Rivers

biscuit

Cyburbian
BiteMeElmo said:
"I am Santa Clause" by Bob Rivers. Very, very funny. It's a good bet that just about any classic rock station will have it in rotation at some point this month.

A couple of Christmas songs some might consider cheesy 1980s Brit-rock that I'll admit to liking are "Do They Know it's Christmas" by Band Aid, and Wham's "Last Christmas" (Jimmy Eat World has a good version of this one).

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Traditional: What Child is This, pref. with bagpipes etc.
Modern: Tie between Christmas is Quiet by the Wild Colonials and Santa Doesn't Cop out on Dope by Sonic Youth, both on the highly recommended Just Say Noel CD.
Have also been known to get that weepy sentimental need to buy stuff while listening to Nat King Cole and Bing Crosby, esp. when driving around looking at lights and drinking cocoa.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Plannerbabs said:
Traditional: What Child is This
In addition to the other songs that I mentioned previously (traditional and non-traditional), "What Child Is This" is my absolute favorite traditional holiday song.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Also like a hidden track on a CD from a Ball State band (Hellwinkle) that's a hidden track on their "Any Similarities to Persons Living or Dead is Purely Coincidental" CD....several traditional christmas tunes done is speed punk thrash style. :)

Tom R

Cyburbian
tunes

Non-traditional Happy Christmas/War is Over
Traditional Oh Holy Night

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Am I the only person that finds the traditional Christmas songs boring and rather depressing with all this packed fake happiness?

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
Am I the only person that finds the traditional Christmas songs boring and rather depressing with all this packed fake happiness?
No, not really. It depends on the context. In a packed-to-the-walls mall, yes, thoroughly depressing. Looking at lights reflected on snow, or watching my dogs tear open presents (yes, they get toys, too), no, it's not as depressing. But they do get played a bit much. Some of the department stores here started putting up the red and green lights and playing the muzak after Halloween, for pete's sake. At least wait till we've had our turkey.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
And now I have Cartman singing O Holy Night in my head, thank you very much.

(bangs head against desk)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
After halloween? Nah that's to late! how about MID OCTOBER? yeah... they started here more or less in mid october....

The one thing I hate more that Christmas muzak is Christmas decorations out of context... You know those fake frosted pine trees, fake snow and plastic snowmen don't fit well with people in shorts and eating icecream in Summer...

I bet fat people (sorry fat people) dress up as Santa just to loose weight while sweating like pigs in those suits!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Too Much -
On the radio here, there is a FM station that dropped it's classic rock format for nothing but Christmas music 24/7 since Thanksgiving.
They say they are changing formats.

Don't get me wrong I like/enjoy many of the songs listed but after the !@#%&*?x=+ time it wears on you.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
If I already hated Christmas songs already... I now hate them more! Apparently here, it's now "hip" to put Spanglish Christmas Songs, as in, you're hearing your typical Chirstmas muzak, sang in Spanish, or English; but now it's WORSE! It's like they mixed up the tapes! You hear them singing in Spanish, then the Chorus is in English, then again in Spanish, then in English...it drives me friggin nuts!

H

Cyburbian
My all time fav is by Alvin & The Chipmunks, "Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late)"

ilikefish0

Cyburbian
I'll have to second the Great White North christmas album and the 12 Yats of Christmas. My favorite, however, is A Charlie Brown Christmas. I listen to this so much that no one in my family can stand it anymore. I don't care. Some tracks are even good when it's mot christmastime.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
My favorite modern Christmas songs are:

Run DMC - Christmas In Hollis (usually the 1st x-mas song I listen to each year)
Blink 182 - I won't Be Home For Christmas
Kinks - Father Christmas
Pogues - Fairytale Of New York
Ramones - Merry Christmas (I Don't Wanna Fight Tonight)
MXPX - Christmas Day
Nerf Herder - Santa's Got a Mullett

Classic:
Johnny Mathis - Sleigh Ride and Winter Wonderland
Anything by the Rat Pack
Burl Ives - Holly Jolly Christmas and Silver and Gold

JNA said:
Too Much -
On the radio here, there is a FM station that dropped it's classic rock format for nothing but Christmas music 24/7 since Thanksgiving.
They say they are changing formats.

Don't get me wrong I like/enjoy many of the songs listed but after the !@#%&*?x=+ time it wears on you.
Oh yeah? Well, we got TWO radio stations that changed their format to Christmas music 24/7!!!!

Elisabeth

Cyburbian
Classic faves:
"Happy Holidays" --Bing (from Holiday Inn)
"Cool Yule"--Louis Armstrong
"Melikalikimaka"-- Bing
"Ave Maria"--Harry Connick Jr.

Modern faves:
"Christmas Don't Be Late"--Alvin & the Chipmunks
"Maybe this Christmas"--Ron Sexsmith
"Christmas Song"--Dave Matthews Band

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Waitresses - Christmas Wrapping -
(I know, the radio stations play this one ad nauseum, but I like it)

The Pogues - Fairy Tale of NY

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
i like...

The Muppets with John Denver...

"The 12 Days of XMas" and "Deck the Halls" and I fall over everytime Gonzo explains to Piggy that it's Figgy Pudding not Piggy Pudding and its made with figs...(and bacon)

lmao

and of couse the South Park XMas CD too...

Run DMC "Christmas in Hollis"
Clarence Carter "Back Door Santa" - FYI, this song was sampled by Run DMC for the aforementioned song.

NHPlanner

Staff member
NHPlanner said:
Also like a hidden track on a CD from a Ball State band (Hellwinkle) that's a hidden track on their "Any Similarities to Persons Living or Dead is Purely Coincidental" CD....several traditional christmas tunes done in speed punk thrash style. :)
For those interested in hearing the Hellwinkle renditions, I've uploaded an mp3 HERE . I wouldn't recommend downloading unless you have a broadband connection, though....it's 12 minutes long, and about 22 meg in size. ;)

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
The Pretenders - 2000 Miles
Smashing Pumpkins - Christmastime
Greg Lake - I Believe in Father Christmas

Bob Rivers? - The Twelve Pains Of Christmas