• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Holiday Weekend

Hey kids, anyone else have big plans for the long weekend? Well, except for Tex in AZ. hee.

My travel plans were cancelled, so i think i'm just going to hang out this weekend and catch a couple of movies: chicago, adaptation, etc.

donk

Cyburbian
While not a holiday weekend here, I leave for Halifax for a set of meetings tomorrow morning.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Oh yeah... MLK day. Good thing the Canadians are here to keep the planners in AZ company...

ecofem

Cyburbian
going to visit the parents and pick up an antique sink to put in my new/old kitchen.

thrilling, no?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Its not a holiday here in Wisconsin either - at least not one garnering time off for civil servants.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
We get monday off-I plan to head down to Richmond so dad can meet the boyfriend

wheeeee

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
It's a state holiday here (yep....leaving only AZ without recognizing it...took us too damn long if you ask me...and we still don't call it MLK day...it's Civil Rights Day in NH), however, it's not one where we're closed. We have a floating holiday in our contracts to make up for it....I may still have to take the day off though, since Kylie's daycare is closed.

I'm taking most of friday off, so my weekend will be extra long. we get presidents day in feb, then we're done until memorial day.

Habanero

Cyburbian
KMateja said:
Hey kids, anyone else have big plans for the long weekend? Well, except for Tex in AZ. hee.

My travel plans were cancelled, so i think i'm just going to hang out this weekend and catch a couple of movies: chicago, adaptation, etc.
Why do I get left out? I get Monday off- and I've got really big plans. Really! I'm popular! I have friends! I have plans! Big plans!

*pout*

On a side note- the State of Arizona does not recognize the holiday- it's up to the municipalities.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
KMateja said:
I'm taking most of friday off, so my weekend will be extra long. we get presidents day in feb, then we're done until memorial day.
You don't get Good Friday (Easter)?

nerudite

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Up here, the time between New Year's and Easter is one long holiday-less drag...ugh.
Not in Alberta... around the middle of February we have a Monday off to celebrate (gulp!) our families! Family Day... because the Alberta government wanted a day off in February too (it conveniently falls on President's Day... just more proof that Alberta is getting ready to become the 51st state).

Jeff

Cyburbian
Those of us who aren't lazy-gov't workers will be working thank you.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:

You don't get Good Friday (Easter)?
In the States you don't get Good Friday or Easter Monday... although I think the stock markets get Good Friday off.

It's that whole separation of church and state thing... but obviously there isn't a separation between church and financial markets.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Yup- that's true, we can only take Good Friday off if we have religious reasons behind it- and usually it's only a half day for those going to service. They give us Sunday off for Easter- being the really nice people they are.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:

So, Christmas is okay, but not Easter?
Yeah, I never really got that either... In some cities, some employees are allowed to show up on Christmas and take off at Yom Kippur or some other holiday.

El Feo

Cyburbian
KMateja said:
Ah, God Bless my state job in Boston:

January: New Year's Day, MLK Birthday
February: Presidents Day
March: Evacuation Day
April: Patriots Day
May: Memorial Day
June: Bunker Hill Day
July: Independence Day
August: Haven't found an excuse for a day off yet, I suppose
September: Labor Day
October: Columbus Day
November: Armistice Day, Thanksgiving
December: Christmas Day

I'm betting no one else can beat that...

El Feo said:

January: New year's, MLK
Feb: Pres. Day
July: The fourth
Sept: Labor Day
Oct: Columbus
Nov: Election, Veterans, T-giving, day after t-giving
Dec: X-mas eve afternoon (sometimes all day, if on a monday) and x-mas.

Close, but no cigar.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We get Monday, but then nothing until Memorial Day. It varies in this area (FL); lots of jurisdictions give Presidents Day and Good Friday, but many don't. Totaled up, we get 9 holidays plus birthday.

nerudite

Cyburbian
El Feo said:

Hmmmmm... Close!

January: New Year's Day
February: Family Day
March/April: Good Friday and Easter Monday
May: Victoria Day
June: (No holiday... but I think Labatts or Molson is working on that...)
July: Canada Day
August: Civic Holiday
September: Labour Day
October: Thanksgiving
November: Remembrance Day
December: Christmas & Boxing Day

Ahh...the beauty of private sector jobs....I get to work on Monday when most of our clients will be off. I think I might have a headache that morning...........

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
If a certain planner near me asks, I might be headin' out a ways to do some a'shootin'!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
We are old fashioned. We get President's Day and Good Friday. Personally, I would rather have a floating holiday to use whenever I like.

What is Evacuation Day?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
El Feo said:
Someone help me out here ...

Originally posted by Nerudite
August: Civic Holiday
Oh yeah ... that sounds very ... uh, Canadian. "IT'S FUTURAMA'S CIVIC HOLIDAY BLOWOUT! EVERYTHING FROM EH TO ZED IS ON SALE!!!" I don't see it.

I wish I had a copy of the City of Buffalo employee holiday list from the summer I interned there in the 1980s. You could choose to have St. Joseph's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Dyngus Day or Juneteenth off, depending on your ethnicity. Good Friday and Ash Wednesday were official holidays for everyone, as was Flag Day, Lincoln's birthday and Washington's birthday. There were a few other saint's days that were half days. The joys of a heavily union, fundamentalist Catholic city ...

The old job was pretty sparse. All we had was ...

January: New Year's Day (if it falls on a weekend, the day after Thanksgiving that year will be a holiday), Martin Luther King Day
February: President's Day
March: nothing
April: nothing
June: nothing
August: nothing
October: nothing
Nov: Thanksgiving only (day after only if Christmas falls on a Saturday or Sunday)
Dec: Christmas only

Here's a thought ... do you think that, sometime in your life, you'll ever see MLK Day as commercialized as the other holidays? "I HAVE A DREAM ... OF ZERO PERCENT DOWN AND ZERO PAYMENTS FOR NINETY DAYS ON NEW HONDA ACCORDS! DEMAND YOUR RIGHTS TO A SERVICE DEPARTMENT THAT'S OPEN LATE AT NIGHT! MARCH DOWN TO COURTESY HONDA THIS MONDAY AND SAVE! allcelebrityvoicesimpersonatedthiseventnotendorsedbythekingfamily" Can we keep one day sacred ... please?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
At least we do get the day after Thanksgiving, and either the day before or after Christmas. When it fell on a Wednesday this year, it seemed that everyone took a vacation day. Personally, I like coming in on those days because there are fewer interruptions, although there is also less activity on Cyburbia.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
In my contract I have 12:

New Years Day
Presidents Day
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Columbus Day
Veterans Day
Thanksgiving Day
Day After Thanksgiving
1/2 day on December 24
Christmas Day
1/2 Day on December 31
Floating Holiday (scheduled at employee discretion, and with approval of department head).

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Planderella said:
Sounds like we can use several "Evacuation Days" here in Southeast Louisiana.
Especially if you eat the Cajun-style uncooked shrimp.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
I might use the extra day to take down Christmas decorations.

Evacuation Day? Somebody respond...inquiring minds want to know.

And nobody has listed Confederate Memorial Day or Robert E. Lee's birthday (both holidays when I worked for state gov't--in the south).

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I did some research. It's a Colonial-sounding patriotic mask hiding a St. Patrick's Day holiday. From the Revolutionary War crowd, it's the equivalent of a very minor holiday, but it's taken on new importance in Boston because of that city's large Irish-American population, and the day's close proximity to St. Paddy's.

On March 17, 1776, the British troops in Boston were evacuated from Boston, never to return. In recognition, March 17 is celebrated in Massachusetts as Evacuation Day. Government workers get a paid holiday and there is much public festivity.

Regarding Robert E. Lee Day ... well, maybe our Mississippi correspondents can chime in on on the strange timing of this. Is this a joke?

WHEREAS, the Legislature has designated the third Monday in January as the day for the observance of the birthdays of ROBERT E. LEE and DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR., and under the provisions of Section 3-3-7, Mississippi Code of 1972, is a legal holiday in the State of Mississippi;

THEREFORE, all officers and employees of the State of Mississippi are authorized and empowered, at the discretion of the executive head of the department or agency, to close their respective offices in observance of the holiday on

MONDAY, JANUARY 20, 2003

Why all the Confederate-oriented holidays? It's not as if folks in Germany celebrate Blitzkrieg Day on September 1, or Russians take the Friday off before Stalin's birthday on December 21.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Dan state offices and courts also close in Va for Robert E Lee day. I never knew such a holiday was on the books till a few weeks ago-many of my City coworkers are taking off that day.

sad

Jeff

Cyburbian
Tell me why the day after thanksgiving is a holiday?

I mean seriously, should we as taxpayers be paying a workforce to be off on that day??

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Mike DeVuono said:

I mean seriously, should we as taxpayers be paying a workforce to be off on that day??
Yes (from the standpoint of the workforce). In reality, most people are going to take the day off anyway, if they can. It may be cheaper to keep the doors closed. Besides, all of those overpaid, lazy government workers can then go out and spend money in the stores on the busiest shopping day of the year.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Here's why this pisses me off. Those of us who don't work in gov't (anymore) get like 3 days off a year, Thanksgiving being one of them. So when do I ever get to conduct business at a gov't agency (i.e. renew my concealed weapons permit)? When I take time off from work to do so.

So I take the day after Thanksgiving off, and the GD city is closed for a holiday. What holiday? Is this grade school?? WTF is next spring break? Maybe nap time in the middle of the day?

RANT OVER

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Mike DeVuono said:

Frankly, its because some a-hole mayor somewhere along the line caved in to the secretary's union. After all, they vote too. As a result, management gets the same or better benies as the union. Its the same reason why I pay $10 a month of family health insurance coverage, when its an $8000 a year bennie and cost goes up 30% a year. All hail the a-hole former mayor!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
If you think we are bad, how about the US Post Office? Or banks?

Well, to be honest, I am jealous.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Just think Mike, you used to be one of us...

From the gov't workers POV, holidays when everyone else is at work (Easter Monday, Remembrance Day up here) are the best - great days to do shopping, especially IKEA.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Tranplanner said:

From the gov't workers POV, holidays when everyone else is at work (Easter Monday, Remembrance Day up here) are the best - great days to do shopping, especially IKEA.
Around these parts, that's known as Dykea...

Jeff

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:

....and don't you dare forget Primary Election Day. A very important holiday!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Vote? Isn't that a conflict of interest for a municipal employee to be voting for local government officials?

jmf

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:
Vote? Isn't that a conflict of interest for a municipal employee to be voting for local government officials?
God, No, it is an attempt (ok, usually in vain) to preserve your sanity!

Jill

Mike DeVuono said:

Actually many municipalities that give employees the Friday after Thanksgiving off do so by trading another holiday. The # of holidays per year remains the same but the employees have some flexibility in determining which days.

By the way, Columbus Day seems to be the holiday most commonly given up in favor of the day after Thanksgiving.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Eh....nobody asked you to chime in with "We trade one useless holiday in for another...."

Back to your corner!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Don't mind Mikey there Jill. He's just PO'd 'cause he gave up his cushy public service job for a gig as Satan's little helper.