• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Holiday

Even when I worked for the city, we never had Veteran's Day off. It was substituted for the day after Thanksgiving, which, ironically, is already a state holiday.

mugbub

BANNED
First Columbus Day, now this. What next, Flag Day?

Hey Brian what happened to the Badgers this year? Is Alvarez's time finally up?

IPlan

Cyburbian
I just called a consultant's office... the secretary was surprised I called, she was trying to figure out why a government office was open today. So I guess some people do have the day off, just not all of us!

Jeff

Cyburbian
This is why I hate Veteran's Day...

A veteran...like me is working. While most people who are off are not veterans.

Beautiful isn't it.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Badgers? What Badgers?

mugbub1 said:
First Columbus Day, now this. What next, Flag Day?

Hey Brian what happened to the Badgers this year? Is Alvarez's time finally up?
We're all paying attention to the Packers now! :)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Before I got into the public sector, all I ever heard about was how the government has all these days off...now I have friends in the private sector who are off and I am here working. Blah!

The Badgers stink! If their Offensive Coordinator is not fired at the end of the season, I will be shocked.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Mike DV,
I took the day off with one of my personal days. I went out of town and had a few suds with an old Army budy. I wish you could have been there.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Our offices were closed, but I was at the National Trails Symposium in Orlando with several hundred other folks. And the roads were so crowded, it didn't seem like a holiday, I don't think too many people had the day off around here!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Mike DeVuono said:
This is why I hate Veteran's Day...

A veteran...like me is working. While most people who are off are not veterans.

Beautiful isn't it.
I'm right there with you. Anyone who is a veteran should have the day off by right, not have to work from 8 to 5 and then attend meetings from 5 to 9.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I've been conditioned to having the day after the USMC birthday off. There is always a buge bash for the birthday in South Philly. The Marine who owned the bar just died last week, a couple of days before teh party. the party still went on though, just like he'd want it.

I remember about 6 years ago, they landed a CH-53 on Oregon Ave in Philly (where the party is), and out came a Brig General and a couple of Colonels.

That's why I love the Marine Corps, no officer is too good to hang out with a private on the birthday.

We had the day off, and yes, I called my favorite veteran (my dad) to thank him, and not just for getting me the day off.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Had the day off, spent it with my daughter (whose Day Care was closed), visited my grandfather's grave (WWII vet) in the rain and left a flag. Told my daughter about my "Papa" and that he would have loved her.

That's how I spent the holiday.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
We had off...

Yet, I came in to work on several things anyway...

How's that fit into your lazy government worker theory, Mugs?

mugbub

BANNED
Yet, I came in to work on several things anyway...

How's that fit into your lazy government worker theory, Mugs?

I'm proud of ya, big dog. Far be it from me to accuse you of bellying up to the trough of civil service. Missed ya on the forums, though...you sure you came in and were able to refrain from posting?

Mastiff

Gunfighter
mugbub1 said:
I'm proud of ya, big dog. Far be it from me to accuse you of bellying up to the trough of civil service. Missed ya on the forums, though...you sure you came in and were able to refrain from posting?
I read a couple... But I was busy getting things done. I knew I had X amount to do, and once X was done... I was gone. Meanwhile, during a regular day (when other people are working), there is "wait time".

You do realize I am at work maybe 60 hours a week, right? I work a MINIMUM of five nine hour days, then do week-end time. Add at least one night meeting, and you've got my schedule.

I went in at 9:30 last Thursday, figuring I'd do at least 10 hours with the council meeting, right? It ends up lasting until after 10 p.m. So I ask you... is there time in a 12.5 hour day to post a few thought, jokes, or rants on a planning message board?

mugbub

BANNED
After Hour Meetings Blow

I understand how crappy the time demands of a planner are. I despise night meetings. Another reason for me to get out. What get's me is that they try to force me to go to ribbon cuttings, ceremonies, etc- and I try like hell to skip them. Post away Mastiff- I guess you've earned it tough guy.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: After Hour Meetings Blow

mugbub1 said:
I understand how crappy the time demands of a planner are. I despise night meetings. Another reason for me to get out. What get's me is that they try to force me to go to ribbon cuttings, ceremonies, etc- and I try like hell to skip them. Post away Mastiff- I guess you've earned it tough guy.
I like the newer friendlier -- but still sufficiently jaded -- mugbub!

BTW - I have another 16 hour day today which will cap off with 4 public hearings and a council meeting, so don't mind my posting. ;)