• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Hollywood antiwar movement

sal95

Cyburbian
I am so sick of these celebrities who think just because they are on TV or in movies that they have the right to shove their opinions down my throat. Didn't many of them say they were leaving the country if Bush won?? Hell, I think thats how Bush got some of his votes. ;) Go, leave, please! I tried to look up a fan website for Martin Sheen and couldn't find one. . .I guess he can speak his mind to me and millions of others, but I can't do the same. I use to watch West Wing, but I just can't stomach to see the man anymore.

Sheen leads antiwar forces

By Paul Bond

LOS ANGELES (The Hollywood Reporter) --- Martin Sheen is about to become the face of the Hollywood antiwar movement.

Sheen has cut a TV commercial in which he implores: "Don't invade Iraq. Inspections work; war won't."

The ad is set to begin a one-week run today -- initially on CNN, MSNBC and CNN Headline News.

An effort bankrolled by the groups Win Without War and MoveOn.org, the ad was unveiled at a West Hollywood hotel Wednesday, where Sheen was accompanied by many of his "West Wing" co-stars and Anjelica Huston, Janeane Garofalo and Mike Farrell.

The Sheen commercial advertises what Win Without War is calling a "virtual march on Washington." Scheduled for Wednesday, the virtual march asks Americans to use e-mail, fax machines and telephones to get their antiwar messages to legislators that day. A visit to www.MoveOn.org makes the task easier.

Hollywood's political activism of late has been well documented in the press, as many celebrities have turned award ceremonies and film festivals into antiwar rallies.

Some have suggested that the most vocal of the activist celebrities face a potential backlash. Sean Penn has claimed he lost a role because of his fact-finding mission to Baghdad, an effort that many Americans have deemed unpatriotic. Reporters at the unveiling of Sheen's commercial Wednesday also broached the subject.

"There's already a backlash," Farrell said, dismissing it as an "organized attempt by the right wing."

Garofalo said a backlash against antiwar celebrities is a creation of the media, which purposely focuses its attention on Hollywood activists in order to marginalize the peace movement.

In a radio interview Wednesday with the BBC, in fact, Garofalo asked that she not be introduced as an actor or celebrity but as a member of the U.S. antiwar movement.

"It's such a divisive thing," she said. "The term 'celebrity' makes my skin crawl."

According to an E-poll survey obtained exclusively by The Hollywood Reporter, 44% of Americans said they might not pay to see a politically active celebrity with whom they disagree.

BKM

Cyburbian
While pretty suspicious of the war (I trust the chicken hawks not one bit), I don't need an ACTOR to tell me why.

Actors should be treated like they were during the Middle Ages, as somewhat disreputable persons who skulked away after entertaining the worthy folk.

Runner

Cyburbian
My dog is a lot like a Hollywood actor. He looks good, does what he is told to do, and is capable of speaking his lines. However, I will be the first to admit that he doesn't have too much going for him behind the eyes and between the ears. Frankly, he's a bit of an idiot. I don't ask him for political advise so why would I accept it from another idiot only one who lives in Hollywood?

Jeff

Cyburbian
Is it hypocritical (sp?) to star in a highly acclaimed war movie and then speak out against our country like that?

Anyway, coming from Martin Sheen, for me, it just goes in one ear and out the other....now if it came from Jane Fonda.....

Janeane Garafolo is on West Wing?

Anyhoo... I agree with BKM. I don't really necessarily support going to war, but I think actors/athletes/celebrities-in-general are possibly some of the least qualified to make policy analysis. Unless its Geena Davis, of course, Mensa and all that.... :)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Martin Sheen really thinks he is the president now. What's scary is that if he ran about half the country would vote for him because he plays a president on TV.

Celebrities really think their opinions matter more than your's. One of the most infuriating things to me was when Gloria Estefan kept showing up on TV saying that Elian Gonsalves would "never go to disney world" if he went back to Cuba to be reunited with his father.

The Irish One

I cringe for the antiwar with Iraq movementus everytime a celeb does all the PR, power to the people -who aren't celebs

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I really raise my doubts about these actors trying to stop the war... They got millions of dollars stacked in their accounts, if they say that kids in the US have to share their books... donate money to the educational system! They're rotting in money!
Well mabye if the Edukashin were improved... that'll be quite bad for the film industry! People would be too smart and would get bored with their blockbuster movies...
Keep'em dumb, they're more controlable!

We all know that the 100% that Saddam won in an election was "a little" biased... he's gotta go, but he shouldn't be replaced with a US government puppet....

It's quite hypocrite form the actors in Hollywood to bash the US government because they want war and spend billions of dollars in it, instead of education and welfare and other important things, when they're also rotting in money!

el Guapo

Capitalist
SkeLeton said:
We all know that the 100% that Saddam won in an election was "a little" biased... he's gotta go, but he shouldn't be replaced with a US government puppet....
:) Starting with a smile. How would you organize the post-Saddam government of Iraq? Ending with a smile. :)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
El Guapo said:

:) Starting with a smile. How would you organize the post-Saddam government of Iraq? Ending with a smile. :)
First I would collect all their remains from the bomb craters, catalog them and DNA cross-match...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Seabishop said:
Martin Sheen really thinks he is the president now. What's scary is that if he ran about half the country would vote for him because he plays a president on TV.
[ot]Hey ... that's what you see in Latin American countries. I don't think it's affected them for the worse. Maybe he could run the country .. don't underestimate his intellligence.

I'm not a fan of President Bush, but he's doing what he can do to maintain an appearance of national strength. Would the celebs react differently if it was Al Gore beating the war drum?[/ot]

el Guapo

Capitalist
Dan, the press and the celebs (except for a few) would be praising his intelligence and fetching his water for him.

We would have appologized for provoking 9-11 and as a part of our surrender we would also be occupied by the Taliban and the Berkeley Lesbian Vegan Co-op by now.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Nah, I don't think U.S. reaction would have been much different under Gore. Only instead of the lefties ranting on about an unelected pres, it'd be the righties...