• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Home Brew Heaven

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
I thought Rumpy and EG and some of the others who brew thier own beer at home would like to see a larger scale home brewery. If for no other reason than to see how large a brewery you can own in a small space.

The link takes you to the gallery where you get to see pics of the system I just built this last weekend.

Its RUGGED by any stadard! :) 3/16 inch, 3 inch angle iron, mild steel. 4 foot 6 inches wide, by 20 inches deep by 4 foot tall.

The mash barrell can hold roughly 200 pounds of grain and easily mash 2 US barrells of beer at a crack (4 standard half barrells.

The kegs of the rack are standard half barrells and I can boil both at the same time. 2 more half barrells will go on top for a full barrell of water in the hot water tank for the mash.

This set up is the pilot batch brewery for "Mythic Brewing, LLC" :)

Does anyone have a firm reference on how much home brew you can legally make in a year before the ATF becomes unhappy?

First batch being made at thanksgiving! :)

Home Brew System HEAVY

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
RUGGED!

You know, thats how the men at Lakeside Brewery got started...

Repo Man

Cyburbian
To quote the guy from that Dodge Hemi commercial...Sweet!

I haven't brewed in about a year, but your creation inspires me.

martini

Cyburbian
[homer]mmmm ...beer[/homer]

Nice Duke! I've really gotta set soemthing up in the basement. I've got waaaay too much space down there to NOT use for something that can be as inspiring as beer.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Nice, thats some quanity you got going. Unfortunately I need to get some more space in order to start brewing more beer:b:

el Guapo

Capitalist
Rugged Showoff!

Cool - My wire welder awaits some free time and some unassigned funds. Then I too will construct the Brewmaster 2150 (tm)!

Go to www.ibrewbeer.com for some plumbing ideas!

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:
Rugged Showoff!

Cool - My wire welder awaits some free time and some unassigned funds. Then I too will construct the Brewmaster 2150 (tm)!

Go to www.ibrewbeer.com for some plumbing ideas!

Holy crap that things a monster!

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
From a former homebrewer to a active homebrewer "NICE WORK"

For those of you in the Midwest you probably know of Bell's Beer. Larry Bell started out as a home brewer in 1983 and now he produces close to 60,000 barrels a year.

You can read the history of Bell's Beer at

http://www.bellsbeer.com/history.asp

Keep Brewing and DRINK UP you have a long way to go to catch Larry, heck it took him 20 years.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
JoshD said:
Keep Brewing and DRINK UP you have a long way to go to catch Larry, heck it took him 20 years.

MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

THE GRANDSONS OF ADOLPHUS BUSCH QUAKE AT MY APPROACH1

I have been to Belle's Brewery for the eccentric brew festival. Sort of a bizarre mix of goth meets hippies meets halloween! IT WAS A REALLY GREAT TIME! I suggest the event be a pilgrimage to those who like quirky events with beer as the primary focus:)

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
el Guapo said:

Thanks for the plumbing pointer. I will be doing without a lot of fancy plumbing for a while. I need a good pump but am also short of fundage so I am going to substitute with elbow grease :)

Some day I will get more automated. Right now I want to make a couple hundred gallons in the garage. If there are no complaints from the next door neighbors, I should be able to get the variance required from the city for a home occupation (will voluntarily limit production to 1 barrel per week (6 hours on a saturday between 10 & 4)). Can't just welch on this cause the ATF wants thier taxes and I want to stay legal :)

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tuna said:
Hey Duke, you got any suggestions for books on brewing larger quanities (garage size) to micro-brew size?

Yeah, I keep meaning to sit down and send you some of that reference material.

I don't have anything on larger batches. I just found that each time I brew, I try more things. It has turned into a hobby gone horribly wrong! (right ? :) )

I have some sites that sell used micro brew equipment I can point you at.

1 barrell is the limit before you start making micro brew size batches. There is a small brewery that started out in WI with a 3 barrell brewery. Try this link for the larger size home/pilot brewing equipment Beer Beer and More Beer

The rest is enginuity along with trial and error. I have a text book on designing beers by style. If you are thinking microbrewery sized equipment, think of fermentors recycled from Stainless steel milk tanks off of a farm.

other suggestions like, make sure crap beer signs are prominantly displayed in your pub. Who cares what they are drinking as long as they drink at your establishment. Once in 3 week customers are not regular enough to keep the place interesting or afloat.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Duke Of Dystopia said:

Hey Rumpy,

Go back to the gallary, I posted a picture of a mock up of my first beer label. I do a lot of drawing at the bar when I go out for stuff like this. Find friends who will/can help you put things together, build brew equipment, and just generally scrounge for stuff. Ask the public works guys you are on good terms to look for burners and stuff on garbage day. Farmers/gardeners are a good source to dump waste grains off on. All kinds of stuff to do it right, on the cheap.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Wow!

Reminds me of a homebrewing setup I saw in some guy's garage in El Paso several years ago ... actually, it took up one space in a two car garage. He was a member of a homebrewing club that a bunch of us from Cruces would visit every couple of weeks. The setup was literally a picobrewery, comparable to what might be seen in a small restaurant. It could whip up a batch of a few cases, or about 10 barrels. He even converted a couple of fridges for lagering. I won't even mention wort boiling, except to say it was RUGGED!

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Thats some fine detailed label. Yeah I was going ask you where I could dump the grain.

My labels are just silly right now as you can tell by my avator.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tuna said:
Yeah I was going ask you where I could dump the grain.

I don't know where you live but Bell's Brewery does two things with their spent grains 1) give it to a local bakery who makes "Beer Bread" it is good stuff. 2) has a local farmer come take it away and they feed it to their live stock.

This is what they used to do a few years back. Bell's recentl opened a new production outside the City and all brewers I used to talk to in the pub arn't around as much so I don't know if they still do that.

Those are just a couple options I am aware of.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
?
At what volume amount c/sh/w/ould homebrewing become
a zoning violation - a non permitted home occupation
or
a health dept. violation?

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
JNA said:
?
or

Beer trumps zoning & health regulations.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
JNA said:
?
or

I believe there is a legal limit of 100 gallons per year per adult over 21 years of age residing in the home.

After that, you need to get a brewers license. That includes the background enama check by the ATF feds, and local health inspections of equip and stuff.

I almost broke that law once but the 1 of the last 3 glass jugs broke on me that year so I was still legal.

My question is this, if you planned to make 150 gallons per year (averages just over 3, 12 ouncers a night every night ), would any of the authorities really want to deal with all the BS to make you comply? I bet they wouldn't unless you tried to sell commerical.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Duke Of Dystopia said:
I believe there is a legal limit of 100 gallons per year per adult over 21 years of age residing in the home.

After that, you need to get a brewers license. That includes the background enama check by the ATF feds, and local health inspections of equip and stuff.
I bet they wouldn't unless you tried to sell commerical.

Hmmmm, I could use a good enima. So you have to get a licence at the federal level, and the state level, and probally the local level huh. Geeessseee, I don't know if I need the ATF sniffing around.
But if I'm going start Rumpy's Rampage I guess I'll have to. Going down to the County offices friday to file my business name (hah it actually will be copyright, copyright) and plan. I guess if you want things to happen, you've got to make things happen even if everybody thinks your crazy.:b:

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tuna said:
.....But if I'm going start Rumpy's Rampage I guess I'll have to. Going down to the County offices friday to file my business name (hah it actually will be copyright, copyright) and plan. I guess if you want things to happen, you've got to make things happen even if everybody thinks your crazy.:b:

You may be able to file a business name from your computer at home through the state level. Do a google search for your state for LLC formation.

A Corp. is to much paperwork, and a private ownership where you just hang your shingle out as the owner carries to much liablility. Go with the LLC, protects private assets that flow through to you and gives you many Corp protections at the same time without the hassle of company boards and stuff.

Also, file for your internet .com address. Even if you don't use them, they are lagitimatly associated with your company so you don't have to worry about squaters or others.

I filed in WI under Mythic Brewing LLC right over the internet. Also have my web domain names whenever I find a host.

I have a lot to figure out though yet

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Duke Of Dystopia said:
You may be able to file a business name from your computer at home through the state level. Do a google search for your state for LLC formation.

A Corp. is to much paperwork, and a private ownership where you just hang your shingle out as the owner carries to much liablility. Go with the LLC, protects private assets that flow through to you and gives you many Corp protections at the same time without the hassle of company boards and stuff.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
I don't think I have enough money at this time to form a LLC. I do think the county just puts your name on the record even if your business is not open yet, and keeps the name protected. I'll try to check out some other LLC sites.

martini

Cyburbian
Yep Duke, that is a nice label. Gonna do something like they did on the Drew Carey Show(I love that show btw)? Just enough to squeek under the regs?

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
martini said:
Yep Duke, that is a nice label. Gonna do something like they did on the Drew Carey Show(I love that show btw)? Just enough to squeek under the regs?

I want it to be legal in every way. The TAX MAN is going to get every chunk he is owed. I like to think of it this way, the more taxes I am paying the more money I am making! :)

I intend to start really small, because the equipment to brew is pretty cheap. It is when you start wanting to put in bottling lines and brew to supply a larger regional market when the equipment for economies to scale starts getting really pricey.

I start small and buy equipment with cash as I go, that way, I am a success first. I want to make a GOOD beer for a GREAT price (pints $1-$1.50). I don't want a place that is snoby, so I will have Macro Crap beer signs up tastefully but prominant in every direction. I don't care what you drink, just drink at my place:) I want to market to 21-34 year olds. Most people older than that are still hooked on Macro-Crap.

UNPAID displays of female sexuality and nudity will be encouraged! :)

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Duke Of Dystopia said:
I start small and buy equipment with cash as I go, that way, I am a success first. I want to make a GOOD beer for a GREAT price (pints $1-$1.50). I don't want a place that is snoby, so I will have Macro Crap beer signs up tastefully but prominant in every direction. I don't care what you drink, just drink at my place:) I want to market to 21-34 year olds. Most people older than that are still hooked on Macro-Crap.

UNPAID displays of female sexuality and nudity will be encouraged! :)

I here that! Sounds like your way ahead of me Duke. Are you going to open a microbrewery/bar? Dude your prices would grab alot of people off the street. I've got Macro Crap beer signs in my current bar at my house. As for your motto on "I don't care what you drink, just drink at my place" I couldn'y agree more.:b:

Jeff

Cyburbian
Just read this quote....

"Give a man a beer, and he wastes an hour, but teach a
man how to brew, and he enjoys a lifetime. "